U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:57 AM

65 posts, read 74,555 times

Advertisements

I was wondering about Hong Kong lately,my family members who live there tell me the Japanese people mainly the youth of both genders are starting to shift in and like the place and also when I had a look at MOFA (Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs),it seems Hong Kong has a population of at least 21,000,I wonder if in the near future,Hong Kong will be more desirable for the Japanese people?

http://www.mofa.go.jp/mofaj/toko/tok.../10/pdfs/1.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 05:18 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,276,714 times
I don't know if it's any more desirable than in the past. Maybe it's to do with the economy. Taiwan is also popular among some Japanese.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:34 AM

448 posts, read 500,578 times
Some international, non-Japanese MNCs voiced during the Fukushima crisis that if Tokyo became very not suitable, they will move their Asia heaquarters to HK very quickly. Emergency move plans were made. That means both Non-Japanese and Japanese staff had to move to HK if situation worsen.

HK as a global city has always attract people from all over the world, it is very developed and does not have very strong anti-Japanese sentiment(Taiwan is probably even less anti-Japan than HK)

Indonesians and Japanese are the 2 largest non-Chinese groups that the HK government and people do not expect them to be good at English. Indonesians maids are pretty good with Cantonese however. Most white people in HK, be they French, Italians, Russians, Portuguese, Mexicans, Brazillians..., Fillipinos, South Asians and Koreans have adequate english level to communicate while living in HK.

Most Japanese families living in HK are expatriate workers with the father as the breadwinner and the wife as housewife, children going to Japanese international schools. The father usually have some english ability, not so much with the wife and children.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:41 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,209,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Alex View Post
I was wondering about Hong Kong lately,my family members who live there tell me the Japanese people mainly the youth of both genders are starting to shift in and like the place and also when I had a look at MOFA (Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs),it seems Hong Kong has a population of at least 21,000,I wonder if in the near future,Hong Kong will be more desirable for the Japanese people?

http://www.mofa.go.jp/mofaj/toko/tok.../10/pdfs/1.pdf
What difference would it make if Hong Kong wasn't?

Old 01-02-2014, 04:26 AM

32,135 posts, read 33,044,067 times
Hong Kong is part of China and the Chinese don't like the Japanese. So I am wondering why it would become more desirable for Japanese people.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:49 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,209,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Hong Kong is part of China and the Chinese don't like the Japanese. So I am wondering why it would become more desirable for Japanese people.
Pretty much. The Japanese are pretty much universally disliked throughout eastern Asia. OP is, like many young people in the US go through with Canada, gong through a sort of honeymoon phase with Japan. Young, unskilled, but intensely wants to move to Country X at any and all cost tomorrow or next week, etc.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:17 AM

64 posts, read 58,762 times
Quote:
Poland, France, Norway, Belgium were conquered by Germany during WW2 as well, but did it make them German automatically?

Anyway, people here are either a). more rational or b). less interest in history and politics, therefore its unlikely that a strong anti-Japanese campaign with people rioting on the street, breaking made-in-Japan cars and looting Japanese stops in Mainland China. Meanwhile, being an international city, the influence of Japanese culture is perhaps more significant in HK than in any part of China (discounting Taiwan). Japanese animations are part of the childhood of many locales and nowadays we generally enjoy having Japanese cuisine and watch Japanese TV drama. That Japanese people are often more welcomed than hated in HK.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:24 AM

64 posts, read 58,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Pretty much. The Japanese are pretty much universally disliked throughout eastern Asia. OP is, like many young people in the US go through with Canada, gong through a sort of honeymoon phase with Japan. Young, unskilled, but intensely wants to move to Country X at any and all cost tomorrow or next week, etc.
I don't consider these two situation as similar. Japan is disliked in Asia for its crimes committed on Asian countries before and during WW2. American didn't invade Canada (except for the War of 1812) and massacre millions of people there, did it?

In addition, according to my understanding, most Japanese go to other Asian countries for long-term residency are professional hired by local coperation / sent by the main company back in Japan, and the majority of them are middle age men with family.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,003 times
That's the reason Japanese expatriates and travellers over the world are not likely to make friends with the locals comparing with people coming from other countries. Language and cultural barrier is greater than other nationals, with Japanese being not good at english the biggest reason.

Secondly, Japan is hurting its foreign relations again and again, other asians think Japanese don't want friendly relations with them. Japanese may also be discriminated in western countries like other asians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung
Indonesians and Japanese are the 2 largest non-Chinese groups that the HK government and people do not expect them to be good at English. Indonesians maids are pretty good with Cantonese however. Most white people in HK, be they French, Italians, Russians, Portuguese, Mexicans, Brazillians..., Fillipinos, South Asians and Koreans have adequate english level to communicate while living in HK.

Most Japanese families living in HK are expatriate workers with the father as the breadwinner and the wife as housewife, children going to Japanese international schools. The father usually have some english ability, not so much with the wife and children.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:01 AM

65 posts, read 74,555 times
Quote:
I find that hard to believe,maybe this should show you something:

Hongkongers still

I'd rather have the Japanese in Hong Kong to be honest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or