U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 03:00 PM

6,601 posts, read 10,928,585 times

Advertisements

I am leaving Friday AM for a work trip to Thailand and this is my first trip here. What are the customs when it comes to tipping workers in hotels and restaurants? We are staying in a nice hotel and we'll be driven around so cabs are not an issue. We will mainly be n Bangkok and a overnight in Chiang Mai.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 06:21 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,803,456 times
In Asia, the custom is to not tip. However, in areas where the locals are used to dealing with foreign tourists, some have come to expect tips. Personally, when I'm in Thailand, I always tip people. Not so much because it's part of the culture, but because if I don't, I feel guilty. The extra money is nothing to me and it might just make someone's day. Remember, the minimum wage in Bangkok is something like five dollars a day. People work a long time just to make a few dollars.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:59 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,305,510 times
As mentioned it's not a thing in Asia, but there's nothing against it, if you feel someone has done a particularly good job or you feel you want to be generous then by all means tip. I suppose it's also more a thing in the ritzier hotels. A lot of places have the service charge added on in restaurants etc. Most Asians and Australians for that matter think 'mandatory tips' or tips that you have to pay or else you'll be socially ostracised, are ridiculous.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:57 PM

5,104 posts, read 8,088,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
In Asia, the custom is to not tip. However, in areas where the locals are used to dealing with foreign tourists, some have come to expect tips. Personally, when I'm in Thailand, I always tip people. Not so much because it's part of the culture, but because if I don't, I feel guilty. The extra money is nothing to me and it might just make someone's day. Remember, the minimum wage in Bangkok is something like five dollars a day. People work a long time just to make a few dollars.
Your estimate of the minimum daily wage is off. It's gone up over the last 2 or 3 years. Minimum wage throughout Thailand, not just BKK, is currently 300 baht per day which is a bit more than US$9. Granted, that's not much, but then it's a different economy. Tipping is usually to people who provide services such as hotel room service, taxis, restaurants, barbers, etc. I'm not saying a person shouldn't tip within reason though. How much do you usually tip when you're in Thailand?
Thailand Adopts Nationwide Minimum Wage Policy Amid Controversy | In Asia

Old 01-01-2014, 10:46 PM

3,764 posts, read 3,816,857 times
I tip people when in Thailand. For a 1000 baht dinner I might give about 200 to 300 baht if the service was good, which it usually is in Thailand. It may be a bit more than what is usual, but for 1000 baht you are get a ridiculous dinner that would be $200 or more almost anywhere in the US. A 1200 baht dinner (after tip) is only about $45 which is still ridiculously cheap. If you stop at say a small vendor and get a soup for 30 baht, after everything drinks and appetizers etc, I may leave 120 or 130 baht for a 90 or 100 baht lunch.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:44 AM

10,437 posts, read 12,468,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I tip people when in Thailand. For a 1000 baht dinner I might give about 200 to 300 baht if the service was good, which it usually is in Thailand. It may be a bit more than what is usual, but for 1000 baht you are get a ridiculous dinner that would be $200 or more almost anywhere in the US. A 1200 baht dinner (after tip) is only about $45 which is still ridiculously cheap. If you stop at say a small vendor and get a soup for 30 baht, after everything drinks and appetizers etc, I may leave 120 or 130 baht for a 90 or 100 baht lunch.
You make Thai people believe all farangs like to tip a lot, thanks
I only tip when i feel like it, if i see your expecting it you aint gonna get anything out of me.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:08 AM

6,601 posts, read 10,928,585 times
Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia