U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2014, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,299 posts, read 3,399,461 times
Reputation: 2037

Advertisements

Elections are coming up in India, and many in India are hoping they will be death knell of the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty. Ever since independence, Indian politics has been dominated by the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty led Congress Party; and for decades India was a meandering, rudderless ship with a directionless captain. India during this time has been plagued with corruption, poor governance, over-regulation, bureaucratic paralysis, patronage based politics, and lack of direction. All of the opportunities that independence provided were squandered. Looking back, many wish that it was Sarder Patel, the Iron Man of India, who became PM after independence instead of Nehru. Indian conservatives have even gone as far as funding the construction of a 182m tall statue in his memory.

Enter Narendra Modi, a man who started out in life operating a tea stall but is positioned to end the dynasty that hamstrung India. He's a controversial figure for his (allegedly) lack of immediate action during religious riots that left over a thousand people dead and for being a self avowed Hindu nationalist(although nowadays he just says that he's a Hindu and a nationalist). He was banned from travelling to the EU and is still banned from entering the US. His critics have likened him to Pol-Pot, Benito Mussolini, and Slobodan Milosevic; but what is undeniable is his record of governance. During the decade that Modi was Chief Minister of Gujarat: his state has averaged 11% annually in GDP growth, became the most industrialized state in India, corruption and graft receded, and agricultural output increased by 10% annually in what is the second most arid state in India.

Many are hoping that Modi's dynamic, decisive, thoughtful, and no-nonsense leadership style will transform India. India is currently at a crossroads: India's labor force is going to have the highest proportion of working age individuals in Indian history in the next decade or so before declining birthrates bring about an aging population; it requires deep and meaningful reforms in education, regulation, and labor laws; it needs extensive investment in sanitation and infrastructure; and most importantly, a hammer needs to be taken to corrupt officials. Will there be a new beginning in India in 2014? Will the sleeping elephant finally awaken? One can only hope as the aspirations of over a billion individuals hang in the balance.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 01-01-2014 at 08:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2014, 08:20 PM
 
Location: World
3,666 posts, read 3,524,189 times
Reputation: 2484
Modi and BJP has no presence in south India or East India. Modi is agent or so called puppet of corrupt Businessman lobby of India (Marwari-Gujarati Baniya) lobby who want to steal tax and loot the country by rampant privatisation.
Gujarat was already a developed and prosperous state under Congress rule. Modi has only sold land at cheap price to businessman like Ambani, Adani.
Just look at the character of Modi. Left his wife to rot in poverty in village in Gujarat while he is snooping around an architect half his age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2014, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,256,138 times
Reputation: 2833
Not to be cynical, but how many of these new 'hopefuls' actually bring real, lasting change?

Not that Indians shouldn't be optimistic, but just not be too quick to believe that any change will automatically improve things overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2014, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,299 posts, read 3,399,461 times
Reputation: 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Not to be cynical, but how many of these new 'hopefuls' actually bring real, lasting change?

Not that Indians shouldn't be optimistic, but just not be too quick to believe that any change will automatically improve things overseas.
India's problems are structural and deep-rooted. It is literally going to take someone with an iron will and clear vision to change anything. Modi has proven that he has both of these with his record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2014, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,299 posts, read 3,399,461 times
Reputation: 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Modi and BJP has no presence in south India or East India. Modi is agent or so called puppet of corrupt Businessman lobby of India (Marwari-Gujarati Baniya) lobby who want to steal tax and loot the country by rampant privatisation.
Gujarat was already a developed and prosperous state under Congress rule. Modi has only sold land at cheap price to businessman like Ambani, Adani.
Just look at the character of Modi. Left his wife to rot in poverty in village in Gujarat while he is snooping around an architect half his age.
Privatization is awesome! It's a good thing when graft prone and inept bureaucrats aren't running things that they have no business running!

It's funny that most criticism about Modi is personnel and not actually about his ability to lead and govern.

P.S. The BJP not having a presence in southern India isn't a problem as politics in those states tend to be dominated by local parties and are a coalition away from joining a BJP led government. People in southern and eastern India will get around to seeing how detrimental the Congress Party has been to India.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 01-01-2014 at 08:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2014, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,256,138 times
Reputation: 2833
India is such a vast, populous nations with so much linguistic diversity, it seems a mammoth task. I wonder if it'd be better if India split up into smaller states? For instance the Hindi belt and Northwest, south and central, and Bengal and the Northeast?

India didn't have China's communism dictatorship to force people into line. I wonder if it's possible to govern such vast nations of 1 billion+ without some sort of heavy-handed authoritarianism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2014, 11:29 PM
 
79 posts, read 121,416 times
Reputation: 32
India is a federal republic composed of states with a high degree of political autonomy. There is no need to break it up into smaller countries to make it easier to govern. Except for the Northeast (outside of the Brahmaputra Valley) the Indian people are more or less unified by a common genetic and religious-philosophical heritage (loosely termed Hinduism). If anything, India should try to absorb Nepal and Sri Lanka more closely into its political sphere to counter the Islamic threat to its west, and the Chinese threat to the North/East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 06:02 AM
 
Location: World
3,666 posts, read 3,524,189 times
Reputation: 2484
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Privatization is awesome! It's a good thing when graft prone and inept bureaucrats aren't running things that they have no business running!

It's funny that most criticism about Modi is personnel and not actually about his ability to lead and govern.

P.S. The BJP not having a presence in southern India isn't a problem as politics in those states tend to be dominated by local parties and are a coalition away from joining a BJP led government. People in southern and eastern India will get around to seeing how detrimental the Congress Party has been to India.
Privatization is awesome!! but looting by corrupt criminal Baniya lobby is not. Do you think slavery was awesome just because Plantation owners were private entity???
Personal criticism-well if you again read my comment, my criticism about him is both about personal character as well as policies. At one hand RSS mindset which takes pride in killing people of minorities. On the other hand running after women half his age. Then letting corrupt Baniya businessman loot the country.
Modi shares stage with Sahara Group head Subrata Roy while taking oath who has done scam of billions of rupees. Business community wants to push Modi so that they can have license to loot. Default on loan, steal tax, occupy prime land for 1 rupee and make 99% population either under illusion or violence perpetrated by Modi and his ilk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 06:22 AM
 
Location: World
3,666 posts, read 3,524,189 times
Reputation: 2484
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
India is such a vast, populous nations with so much linguistic diversity, it seems a mammoth task. I wonder if it'd be better if India split up into smaller states? For instance the Hindi belt and Northwest, south and central, and Bengal and the Northeast?

India didn't have China's communism dictatorship to force people into line. I wonder if it's possible to govern such vast nations of 1 billion+ without some sort of heavy-handed authoritarianism.
There is unity in diversity!!!! There are 28 states and people of all religion, language , castes live across India. Its not possible to divide India. Its not that if you separate one state, you have one homogeneous society. People have tried and failed-whether it is Punjab, Kashmir, North East, Maharashtra. Its not the worst country in the world. India's economy is doing fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 09:03 AM
 
Location: World
3,666 posts, read 3,524,189 times
Reputation: 2484
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Privatization is awesome! It's a good thing when graft prone and inept bureaucrats aren't running things that they have no business running!

It's funny that most criticism about Modi is personnel and not actually about his ability to lead and govern.

P.S. The BJP not having a presence in southern India isn't a problem as politics in those states tend to be dominated by local parties and are a coalition away from joining a BJP led government. People in southern and eastern India will get around to seeing how detrimental the Congress Party has been to India.
This is how Modi fools people.

Pheku.in Pheku lies on Agricultural growth exposed

Also look here
http://pheku.in/summarizing-pheku-a-...onal-disaster/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top