U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 01:57 PM

939 posts, read 2,828,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
That's not the goal. Read the OP's post.

If the goal is bustling cities, Bangkok, Taipei, Tokyo, maybe Jakarta, and maybe Hong Kong are better targets.

As others have said; Beijing is not walkable, and I wouldn't call it "Bustling". More like gridlocked and smog blanketed. If it's not bad in the summer, I can't imagine what winter is like. We were there in July 2009--right after the Olympic "clean up" initiative, and it was twilight at midday with yellow smog so thick you literally couldn't see skyscrapers 2 blocks away.

Shanghai is better. Xi'an is pretty sleepy, but the food is good. If you want to see a concentration of famous Chinese sights, then Beijing is a good target. But it's still a miserable place. DaLi, Kashi, Guilin, and a bunch of other cities and towns come to mind as being much more pleasant and interesting.

Very interesting perspective. Lucky for us, the itinerary includes transportation. We will be driven everywhere, to all the sites, especially in Beijing which is not walkable. We will be taken to the Olympic village, forbidden city, great wall, etc. I expect the cities to be congested, dirty, and smoggy, but that's an experience we are looking forward to. Even the humidity and monsoons. I know, this does not sound pleasant for most travelers, but again, keep in mind that coming from San Diego, great weather gets dull. Xi'an is also a very quick trip. I'm looking forward to Shanghai and Hong Kong the most. Even the side cities like Shenzhen and (It's pronounced So Chew but I forget the spelling). Also Macau if there's time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 06:58 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
That's not the goal. Read the OP's post.

If the goal is bustling cities, Bangkok, Taipei, Tokyo, maybe Jakarta, and maybe Hong Kong are better targets.

As others have said; Beijing is not walkable, and I wouldn't call it "Bustling". More like gridlocked and smog blanketed. If it's not bad in the summer, I can't imagine what winter is like. We were there in July 2009--right after the Olympic "clean up" initiative, and it was twilight at midday with yellow smog so thick you literally couldn't see skyscrapers 2 blocks away.

Shanghai is better. Xi'an is pretty sleepy, but the food is good. If you want to see a concentration of famous Chinese sights, then Beijing is a good target. But it's still a miserable place. DaLi, Kashi, Guilin, and a bunch of other cities and towns come to mind as being much more pleasant and interesting.
Xian 'sleepy'? Have you even visited? It was anything but sleepy when I visited, bustling with people, it's a city of 8 million. One of the most unique and interesting cities in China, with it's original (huge) city wall still preserved and as many historical site as Beijing.

If the OP wants to see China, it's no use mentioning those other cities. HK will be included anyway. Beijing is a must-see for the historical sites, you cannot miss it.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:01 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
Very interesting perspective. Lucky for us, the itinerary includes transportation. We will be driven everywhere, to all the sites, especially in Beijing which is not walkable. We will be taken to the Olympic village, forbidden city, great wall, etc. I expect the cities to be congested, dirty, and smoggy, but that's an experience we are looking forward to. Even the humidity and monsoons. I know, this does not sound pleasant for most travelers, but again, keep in mind that coming from San Diego, great weather gets dull. Xi'an is also a very quick trip. I'm looking forward to Shanghai and Hong Kong the most. Even the side cities like Shenzhen and (It's pronounced So Chew but I forget the spelling). Also Macau if there's time.
It's a pity, Xian deserves more time. It's far more than just the terracotta warriors and the pagodas, tombs.etc. It was after all the first capital of China, and at one time the biggest city in the world. Aside from the warriors, the Big Goose Pagoda, city wall (which you can walk on), drum/bell tower, and just exploring the city is pretty fascinating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqBRwBrDvYo

Btw the correct pronunciation is more like 'she-ahn', lol.

Last edited by The Postman; 01-16-2014 at 07:16 PM..

Old 02-09-2014, 03:03 AM

1 posts, read 455 times
I would suggest you to spend some more time in Shanghai, it is one of the most interesting and lovely city in China. In my last trip, I booked tours with Shanghai Pathways, [url]www.shanghaipathways.com[/url], It was easy to book and the guide was great.

Last edited by Shanghaisexpat; 02-09-2014 at 03:12 AM..

Old 02-09-2014, 06:09 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,144,521 times
My goodness a statement about Jakarta a bustling city? More like a hell compared to Beijing, even worse in terms of walkability and gridlocking trafic, atleast Beijing trafic moves because millions commute daily.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:44 AM

96 posts, read 99,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
The only downside is that you will be on the road most of the time, which won't give you guys much time to really relax and enjoy what each city has to offer. But since this is your first time visiting China, I think it makes sense to visit as many places as possible.

I lived in Shanghai for 7 years (college and work) and to me, the real beauty of Shanghai is not the skyscrapers in Lujiazui but the quietness of the French Concession in the middle of hustle and bustle. Nothing much to do in Lujiazui, honestly. The activities are all on the other side of the river. The cruise on the Huangpu river could be nice at night. Never heard of the show. Expect some extremely hot weather in August.

Beijing is alright. Forbidden City and the Great Wall are must-sees, of course, but if you guys enjoy night life, check out the HouHai area. The bars there are a bit pretentious but the buildings are beautiful at night. Again, the spirit of Beijing is not in its glitzy shopping malls along Wangfujing Avenue but the traditional HuTong life. So if you have time, visit some famous HuTong areas such as Nanluoguxiang or Yandaixie but both places can be a bit touristy. And try some real Peking duck of course! I fail to find a single restaurant that serves decent enough Peking duck in the US.

Never been to HK or Xi'an so no comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or