U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 11:06 AM

11 posts, read 56,233 times

Advertisements

I understand Okinawan are a different group of people from the rest of Japanese.
How different? Do they regard themselves as a different group?
I understand most Okinawan nowadays speak mainly Japanese?
How much is Okinawan language is use?
How many Okinawans are intermarried with the Japanese?
What is the percentage of indigenous inhabitants, mixed Okinawans and Japanese in Okinawa?

Quite an interesting place with many islands and warm weather, and I know it is not too right to regard Okinawan as the same as Japanese
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:10 PM

136 posts, read 257,682 times
I'm an American who is part Okinawan and Japanese. I pretty much see myself as Japanese, and use Okinawan to describe my specific ethnic heritage (Ryukyuan). In my experience, people in mainland Japan today consider Okinawa to be just another prefecture, albeit with a certain unique history and culture in some ways, while people in Okinawa (they usually don't call themselves "Okinawan") often distinguish themselves from mainland Japanese and some even want to become independent from Japan.

Last edited by Jonny08; 01-10-2014 at 01:22 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 01:32 PM

11 posts, read 56,233 times
It is better not to regard Okinawans as totally the same as other Japanese, they regard themselves as victims of Japanese invasion, and envy Taiwan and Korea being completely independent from Japan after WW2. Local culture was lost greatly and 1/3 of the population was killed by US forces, that is blamed on the war time Japanese government than the US government.

Okinawans and mainland Japanese probably are still very different even though they speak the same language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
while Okinawans often distinguish themselves from mainland Japanese and some even want to become independent from Japan.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:35 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Yes, they are pretty different. Their local language is in the Japonic group but is mostly unintelligible with Japan. Genetically they are a mix. I think nowadays you have more speaking Japanese and maybe moving there for employment.etc though. I can't speak for them, as to how much they identify as Ryukuan-Okinawan versus just Japanese.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 63,099 times
I m Okinawan myself. I don't envy Korean nor Taiwanese. Japan and USA developed quickly after the war, and it's a mess in Taiwan and Korea.. So we rather look up UsA and Japan. I am ok with being a part of Japan even thought we never agree with Japan politically.
The war, like you say, we usually blame on the Japanese because they are they one who first constructed a bunch of fake airports and pretend like Okinawa is the centre of the military defence and brought a lot of Japanese fighters on the land and waited for Americans to attack, then told civilians that Americans would rape if you get caught. Historically and politically, we don't agree much. They believe in One nation, one race, and those bull**** and we just please them and make them think we like them so that they will love us back. Todays American military bases in Okinawa is due to the Japanese Central gvt and we complain, they don't listen to the citizen like the situation in Fukushima.

The Japanese gvt don't keep a record based on their race or origin. If you have a Japanese passport, you are just a one of them. So there isn't a way to find how many people get married the mainlanders. We don't even know how many mixed Amerasians there are in Japan.

Since 2000 or so, there is an Okinawan boom thingy and people come here, some migrate here, but there are a lot more Okinawans in the mainland than Mainlanders in Okinawa. More jobs, more opportunities. We can usually tell if someone is from the mainland by their looks, fashion, skin colours and their last names. If one is a half mainlander, and grew up in Okinawa, it's kinda impossible to tell that he is a half mainlander since there are people who look like the mainlanders as well.

Some Okinawans don't like to be called that they are Okinawan in Japan.. It's like calling and identifying someone from their origin without concerning his identity and those people usually prefer to stay in Tokyo. on the other hand, some are proud and don't wanna be called Japanese or said something about Japanese that has nothing to do with Okinawa( how can you get on the train in the morning,You must be smart, technologies, etc.) it's like putting stereotypes of Texan to all Americans.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikto View Post
I m Okinawan myself. I don't envy Korean nor Taiwanese. Japan and USA developed quickly after the war, and it's a mess in Taiwan and Korea.. So we rather look up UsA and Japan. I am ok with being a part of Japan even thought we never agree with Japan politically.
The war, like you say, we usually blame on the Japanese because they are they one who first constructed a bunch of fake airports and pretend like Okinawa is the centre of the military defence and brought a lot of Japanese fighters on the land and waited for Americans to attack, then told civilians that Americans would rape if you get caught. Historically and politically, we don't agree much. They believe in One nation, one race, and those bull**** and we just please them and make them think we like them so that they will love us back. Todays American military bases in Okinawa is due to the Japanese Central gvt and we complain, they don't listen to the citizen like the situation in Fukushima.

The Japanese gvt don't keep a record based on their race or origin. If you have a Japanese passport, you are just a one of them. So there isn't a way to find how many people get married the mainlanders. We don't even know how many mixed Amerasians there are in Japan.

Since 2000 or so, there is an Okinawan boom thingy and people come here, some migrate here, but there are a lot more Okinawans in the mainland than Mainlanders in Okinawa. More jobs, more opportunities. We can usually tell if someone is from the mainland by their looks, fashion, skin colours and their last names. If one is a half mainlander, and grew up in Okinawa, it's kinda impossible to tell that he is a half mainlander since there are people who look like the mainlanders as well.

Some Okinawans don't like to be called that they are Okinawan in Japan.. It's like calling and identifying someone from their origin without concerning his identity and those people usually prefer to stay in Tokyo. on the other hand, some are proud and don't wanna be called Japanese or said something about Japanese that has nothing to do with Okinawa( how can you get on the train in the morning,You must be smart, technologies, etc.) it's like putting stereotypes of Texan to all Americans.
Taiwan and Korea a mess? lol How so? They seem to be really booming now...

Do Okinawans sometimes face discrimination in Japan like say Ainu?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:33 PM

It WAS a mess. The cultural revolution and the Korean War, they caught up after Japan and now they are booming and Japan is dead. Maybe we will look up sometime soon when Japan is really dead.

Actually, Japanese people like Okinawan face. For them, they think they have a "flat " face and we have a "district face or well sculptured face". So they actually like us physically but maybe they think we are stupid mentally. Haha so basically, it's easy to get one night with the mainlander, probably harder to get married.
Okinawans in Okinawa are the majority, so we don't really feel discriminated. I think some Japanese hate Koreans, Chinese and Dutch more and don't have time to think about Okinawans much. I heard some HS bullying stories but I don't think it's because he was Okinawan. But Okinawans like to make some jokes on Japanese but I think it's everywhere in the world; just make fun of some countries that have more power.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
It WAS a mess. The cultural revolution and the Korean War, they caught up after Japan and now they are booming and Japan is dead. Maybe we will look up sometime soon when Japan is really dead.

Actually, Japanese people like Okinawan face. For them, they think they have a "flat " face and we have a "district face or well sculptured face". So they actually like us physically but maybe they think we are stupid mentally. Haha so basically, it's easy to get one night with the mainlander, probably harder to get married.
Okinawans in Okinawa are the majority, so we don't really feel discriminated. I think some Japanese hate Koreans, Chinese and Dutch more and don't have time to think about Okinawans much. I heard some HS bullying stories but I don't think it's because he was Okinawan. But Okinawans like to make some jokes on Japanese but I think it's everywhere in the world; just make fun of some countries that have more power.
Interesting. Do you think Okinawans have some Austronesian ancestry, related to Taiwanese aborigines/Filipinos.etc? They've also got some Chinese right? What about their darker skin, don't Japanese prefer pale skin?

What are the main cultural differences between Okinawa and mainland Japan? Isn't Okinawa kind of matriarchal?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:53 PM

Most Japanese girls like to get pale skin for themselves but not as much as Korean girls. There are Ganguro fashion and weird subcultures. So not all of them like to be paled.

DNA says we are closer to Ainu, then Japanese.. Also, 1/3 of Japanese are Korean origin. So basically Ainu and Okinawans are more pure Japanese than Japanese but I can never confirm cause I m not a researcher. Linguistically and culturally, there isn't any tie with Taiwanese aboriginal except for tattooing culture. lol So maybe when they arrive from Africa, they came from Austronesia at some point and we got influenced by Chinese and Japanese culture. it's really a mystery.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Most Japanese girls like to get pale skin for themselves but not as much as Korean girls. There are Ganguro fashion and weird subcultures. So not all of them like to be paled.

DNA says we are closer to Ainu, then Japanese.. Also, 1/3 of Japanese are Korean origin. So basically Ainu and Okinawans are more pure Japanese than Japanese but I can never confirm cause I m not a researcher. Linguistically and culturally, there isn't any tie with Taiwanese aboriginal except for tattooing culture. lol So maybe when they arrive from Africa, they came from Austronesia at some point and we got influenced by Chinese and Japanese culture. it's really a mystery.
Ainu? Never heard that theory, would be counter-inuitive since the Ainu came from Hokkaido and northern Honshu, further away from the Ryuku chain. It seems a bit wacky, tbh, Okinawans don't really look Ainu.

Most Okinawans still look sort of Chinese/Japanese, although some definitely do look quite Austronesian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia