U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:10 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,252,153 times

Advertisements

I know they don't tend to be this way, but I've noticed in quite a few Chinese restaurants (Vietnamese and Korean too) they're very businesslike, without much warmth.etc. They don't smile when you come in or greet you, they'll bark out 'what you want?' in a slightly annoyed tone. I don't think they intend to be rude or unpleasant, but it seems they lack the pleasantries we in the west are used to. Sometimes they're also not very friendly, passive and you always have to hail them down.

Also in China and Vietnam (but not as much Taiwan, Taiwanese seem a bit better), I notice people seldom say 'sorry' when they bump into you. I got into the spirit of things and stopped trying to say 'sin loy' after awhile. Plus in Vietnam there was an incident of a lot of Vietnamese people pushing in front of me and some other foreigners who were waiting to use an ATM and no one having a problem with it (aside from the foreigners who, much to my chagrin, didn't do anything and let them pass. I was near the back). Someone should have took them aside and said 'excuse me, wait your turn, we were here before you.' I guess it's a very dog eat dog society which breeds more obvious manifestations of selfishness and inconsideration.

When I talk to some Chinese people, or even Singaporeans/Malaysians who are ethnically Chinese, a lot seem sort of very blunt, matter of fact, just lacking pleasantries. I don't except fake politeness.etc, but I feel it's very businesslike and not very warm. In Singapore I bought something from a shop. The lady told asked for the price in Mandarin and I did not know. She was visibly annoyed, assuming I should know Chinese.

Having said that I have met very friendly Chinese people - including some good friends, as well as the odd restaurant etc, but it just seems that in Chinese or certain other Asian restaurants, like Vietnamese, Korean, Malaysian, Chinese-Malaysian - it's more about the food than the service.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:54 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,609,353 times
I often feel most Chinese people hate their job. In Chinese culture, service people have a very low status, too.
In Chinese cities, almost all the waitresses are migrant workers from villages. City residents will never do it even if they have no job.

In ancient China, people with certain careers were not allowed to take the civil service examination: including barbers, waiters, actors, cooks etc., But farmers can.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:00 AM

448 posts, read 499,799 times
Taiwan is obviously influenced by Japanese etiquette, taiwanese are not bad, though customers are not as very well treated as in Japan. A minor complaint from customers is taken seriously in Japan, but not in other asian countries.

In China, rude shops will lose customers anyway, even if the rude culture is so prevalent. There are always a minority of polite shops around.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Taiwan is obviously influenced by Japanese etiquette, taiwanese are not bad, though customers are not as very well treated as in Japan. A minor complaint from customers is taken seriously in Japan, but not in other asian countries.

In China, rude shops will lose customers anyway, even if the rude culture is so prevalent. There are always a minority of polite shops around.
Yes that's what I thought, it might be the Japanese influence. Everyone also lines up, no pushing or shoving. Maybe communism has something to do with China and Vietnam, I notice the same behaviour among some Russians. Chinese tourists can be rather coarse and boorish too.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:45 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,070,935 times
http://skills.oecd.org/OECD_Skills_Outlook_2013.pdf

Old 01-14-2014, 01:49 AM

89 posts, read 141,930 times
Your opinion is extreme to some degree. Some upscale restaurants in China offer decent and satisfactory customer service.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Daisy View Post
Your opinion is extreme to some degree. Some upscale restaurants in China offer decent and satisfactory customer service.
That more proves my point. Friendly service shouldn't be just restricted to some upscale restaurants.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:34 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
Chinese people are very interested in doing business. They are polite but sometimes cold to complete strangers.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:04 AM

1,953 posts, read 5,208,200 times
it's just part of the culture, they dont like to put on a fake smile and pretend they are your best friend and call you by your first name like your at an AA meeting or something

If they get to know you or your a regular they will usually be friendlier and treat you nicer than a random person

Old 01-14-2014, 10:09 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,609,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
it's just part of the culture, they dont like to put on a fake smile and pretend they are your best friend and call you by your first name like your at an AA meeting or something

If they get to know you or your a regular they will usually be friendlier and treat you nicer than a random person
True.
Politeness sometimes also makes people distant, sometimes; because you can't tell the true feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or