U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 02:57 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,714,600 times

Advertisements

If you're white... lots of places. LoL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 07:09 AM

41 posts, read 205,315 times
Def Philippines because of the Filipinos ability to speak English. IMO, I consider someone friendly when he/she initiates a conversation thereby trying to exhibit and warm and welcoming attitude which by the way Filipinos are known for that.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:58 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,238,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
If you're white... lots of places. LoL
How genuine are these friendships though?

Asians with wealth are also given the same treatment.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:07 AM

9 posts, read 9,287 times
If you're white as said above everyone wants to be your friend. It's later down the track you work out what they are after. Friendship, love, money or a kidney (lol joke).

Old 01-17-2014, 12:22 PM

399 posts, read 579,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
The Philippines has many westerners from many different countries and most Filipino people I have met are very friendly. My advice would be to start out in a place like Cebu City where many expats live and then possibly branch out from there once you know your way around. There are also forums about living in Cebu where you might also meet expats and Filipinos alike.

Educated Filipinos speak English which in my opinion gives us a leg up when living or visiting there.
Also most signs are in English which helps. People in Cebu are friendly for the most part. When I go to the city I see many foreigners..even going out toward the countryside some live there. I tend to be the youngest foreigner around..most of these guys are old and gray already with younger wife's.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:11 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,437,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
Also most signs are in English which helps. People in Cebu are friendly for the most part. When I go to the city I see many foreigners..even going out toward the countryside some live there. I tend to be the youngest foreigner around..most of these guys are old and gray already with younger wife's.
There are definitely more older than younger expats since older ones usually are retired and younger ones have a hard time earning any money in the Philippines, unless they work online or are rich to start with, thus there are quite a few younger ones nowadays that I regularly see walking around with their wives or gf's. Also a few younger ones own businesses. Not all older ones are married to very young ladies but it seems many of the older men prefer younger ladies possibly as their trophy gf or wives.

It seems wherever we go on Cebu island away from Cebu City, we always see westerners so there is no shortage of them.

I find the farther I go outside the city, the friendlier most locals are. I am going to guess the bad expats give the good ones a bad reputation, since many seem to use and abuse some of the ladies with fake promises to get what they seek and some others treat Filipinos as if they were all their slaves.

My motto in the Philippines is smile and most of the locals will probably smile back and if you speak the language, then it is even easier to make friends.

@ThePostman, their friendships can be as genuine as your. You usually get in kindness what you give in kindness, so if they can sense you are genuine and not just a sexpat, then many will be genuine too but there will always be some who see us for the dollar signs that we surely have tattooed on our foreheads from birth, that only they seem to be able to see.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:44 PM

7 posts, read 8,365 times
Chinese are very open towards interacting with foreigners. I've heard Thai are friendly too but haven't really met many Thai.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:55 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,714,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
How genuine are these friendships though?
Most of them, I'd say.

Quote:
Asians with wealth are also given the same treatment.
Not really.from them, they want money. That's not what I was saying. And Asians are never really considered "Westerners" if they were born in the West. It's just different.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:03 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,238,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Most of them, I'd say.

Not really.from them, they want money. That's not what I was saying. And Asians are never really considered "Westerners" if they were born in the West. It's just different.
Depends. Many Asians can't get their heads around it, but astute/educated Asians consider me a Westerner because I was raised in the West. Culturally I'm just a Westerner to them.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:15 PM

17 posts, read 18,178 times
I've lived in Asia (Philippines/Hong Kong) since 1997 and have been to many countries. I don't find one country more friendly than another. I find it depends on the individual, you and your status as a visitor, ex-pat or resident. I do find the friendliness also depends on the direction of the money flow or if their country idealizes the western world. I consider this a bad thing for my cultural experiences, you might like the situation. How are they if they've nothing to gain from being your friend? Also there can be a very fine line between friendliness and butt kissing, learn the nuances. Some are taught that being friendly is important, not that sincerity is involved. I'm not sure on least friendly but most genuinely friendly I would currently give to Korea not only as individuals but as a nation. While there I had many total strangers go out of their way to help me (never expecting/asking a dime) and also saw them doing the same for others. I've seen the same in Hong Kong where I've lived for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or