U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:18 PM

38 posts, read 70,027 times

Advertisements

I think it's different from person to person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 11:04 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,256,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
If you're white... lots of places. LoL
Maybe you're a farang who just thinks he gets treated better because he's white and revels in it? Most Thais don't consider you some better sort of human being. Some will want to take advantage of you, but don't start thinking you're superior and they seek genuine friendships more from white people than asians.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:51 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,717,624 times
Default How'd you know ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Maybe you're a farang who just thinks he gets treated better because he's white and revels in it? Most Thais don't consider you some better sort of human being. Some will want to take advantage of you,but don't start thinking you're superior and they seek genuine friendships more from white people than asians.

So it took you 3 days to think of this ? You must have been pondering this day and night.
That whites are treated better in Asia isn't a secret. It's funny, because in my post I didn't pass any judgement on it.

Last edited by Glucorious; 01-23-2014 at 07:02 AM..

Old 01-23-2014, 08:46 AM

15,947 posts, read 36,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Japanese unfortunately tend to racism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanph View Post
There are many people interested in Japan but not the other way round.
Japanese are not interested in foreigners.
I'm a foreigner and I lived in Japan for 5 1/2 years and that certainly wasn't my experience as a foreigner living in Japan. I really enjoyed being a foreigner in Japan, and had many many great memories because of how much I liked Japanese people.

Did either of the two of you actually live in Japan? Or are you both just saying negative things about a nationality for no real apparent reason than your own heresay.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:50 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,256,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
So it took you 3 days to think of this ? You must have been pondering this day and night.
That whites are treated better in Asia isn't a secret. It's funny, because in my post I didn't pass any judgement on it.
Maybe sometimes on a superficial level, especially tourists, but if you can't speak their language you will generally not become as close friends with them. Where are you getting all your info from anyway? Hopefully not some touts who seem so friendly in you, if so you're pretty clueless about Asia in general.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:47 PM

6 posts, read 6,360 times
Having lived in Asia for over 22 years - starting in 1978 and going back & forth for a few years - I believe I may have some insights on this.

Most of my time has been in Japan and that is one language I speak fluently. It seems to me that most Japanese only make friends in high school or college and at work after that. They really are not good at making friends - and I am talking about even with other Japanese. Some Japanese can be friendly in a superficial way and a few actually make new friends from time to time. It has more to do with how few Japanese are extroverts than how many are racists

In my experiences in the Philippines I feel that most Philippinos are generally open and friendly if you are honestly looking to be friends - not just taking advantage of them in some way. Of course you might be seen as a target to some who don't honestly want to be your friend so it goes both ways. Don't get taken in by the touts and treat them as you would be treated and you will make friends.

Most of my time in the PRC was over 20 years ago and that society has changed so much and so fast that I can't put much of a label on it. Many Chinese seemed too busy with work and life in general to make room for new friends but it isn't hard to find the few who will be open and honest with you. 26 years ago, walking down the street in Wuhan, an old man got my attention and with my limited Mandarin we had a conversation during which he lead me to his front porch (what would be a living room in the US) and he brought out his 3 year-old grandson. Had my Mandarin been better I cannot say we would have become "friends" but I would not say he wasn't friendly.

In the little time I spent in Thailand many people there seemed truly open and friendly. As an example - the people running a small diner by the hotel where I and my (non-Thai) girlfriend were staying invited us to a small party in their backyard which we assumed they were just being nice but not really expecting us to attend. After finishing our meal they, in a very friendly manner, refused to let us go without having a drink with them - they simply made it clear that we were truly invited. We spent an evening with them during which they never allowed my glass to go empty. Food was served and there was no charge or even a hint of cost. They honestly wanted our company.

Last edited by Tejicano; 01-23-2014 at 09:55 PM..

Old 01-23-2014, 11:57 PM

490 posts, read 1,500,680 times
I agree with tejicano

Old 01-24-2014, 03:21 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,717,624 times
Default Been there many times

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Maybe sometimes on a superficial level, especially tourists, but if you can't speak their language you will generally not become as close friends with them. Where are you getting all your info from anyway? Hopefully not some touts who seem so friendly in you, if so you're pretty clueless about Asia in general.
Not at all. And of course I know that, if you can't communicate at all, you can't really be friends. Obviously I wasn't talking about that.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:03 AM

104 posts, read 165,110 times
Least friendly?... I would say Japan and Korea are neck and neck. They are both cultures that can be very passive-aggressive towards foreigners. Friendships can take a very long time to develop and even when they do, they will never let you forget that you are still and always will be a foreigner and not 100% one of them.

Most friendly probably The Philippines. The couple times I was there I did notice people everywhere were very accommodating and friendly whether it was in the city or in the country. Ironically, Filipino-Americans (especially 2nd generations) are completely the opposite. They can be borderline snobby and cold unless you've known them from birth. I guess impoverished conditions make you friendlier and more down-to-earth and status and wealth makes you more exclusive of a person.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:53 PM

376 posts, read 743,854 times
Friendship is very good for my country ... ^ ^
I know Indonesia is very good friends even very good relationship with our neighboring country of Australia. then in Europe is the Netherland , while in East Asia is Japan
whereas South East Asian is philipines, east timor & ( malaysia Often though sometimes conflict ) . even Indonesia strongly supports the full inclusion of East Timor and Papua New Guinea to join with southeast Asian ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or