U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 01:18 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times

Advertisements

Been to Tokyo for a few days, still alive and do not have any radiation exposure symptoms... It's not like I own a Geiger counter though, so I just trusted that the radiation levels as published are accurate. Kyoto is even further from Fukushima, there are at least 50 million people who are closer to Fukushima than you will ever be in Kyoto. You should be fine there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 10:06 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,443,775 times
Microwaves don't produce ionizing radiation, and contaminants don't magically stop travelling beyond a 30km radius.

Though I am skeptical of the tin-foil hat-wearing, evacuate the west coast types, this is a serious issue for Japan.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:29 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,789,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Microwaves don't produce ionizing radiation, and contaminants don't magically stop travelling beyond a 30km radius.

Though I am skeptical of the tin-foil hat-wearing, evacuate the west coast types, this is a serious issue for Japan.
True, contaminants don't stop magically traveling beyond an imaginary border, but that border represents an exclosionary zone where background radiation levels are higher than what a rational and advanced industrial nation would find acceptable.

The fact is, we live with radiation all around us, 24/7. Health experts with PhD's in their fields and the UN, American, European, etc. scientists all agree on this border being acceptable. You know more than them? I'd like to know ... I'm open minded, I just require facts and data and NOT hoopla, hysteria, and illogical arguments.

Now if this is an emotional issue ... that's fine. Your prerogative to believe or not believe what you want. But don't masquerade around like you know something that you don't.

Sorry for being so vehement on this issue, I have family who live there alright? And the testing they've done, countless scientists and experts have done, have come up squat. And they can easily up and move, yet they don't. Of course, you'll get the 1/1000 who wants to and does for emotional reactions ... but don't point those statistical anomalies as "proof."

Old 02-02-2014, 08:08 AM

288 posts, read 374,347 times
Fukushima No. 2 reactor suppression pool may have 3-cm hole -

Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 AM

12,887 posts, read 15,421,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Actually, I think the situation in Japan at the Fukushima plants is much more serious then we've probably led to believe. They don't even know what happened to the reactor cores. Will the radiation eventually reach the Tokyo water supply? What about the Pacific Ocean food chain?

Anyone who says everything is perfectly safe is deluded.
You're right, and of course Japan tourist industry will say it's OK...if you want to believe it...
Nuclear expert admits Fukushima reactors melted into the ground, contaminating hundreds of tons of groundwater daily

Old 02-02-2014, 09:29 AM

208 posts, read 222,534 times
Default If you are in Tokyo or other cities further away, the accumulated amount of radiation, if any, is not life-threatening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
You're right, and of course Japan tourist industry will say it's OK...if you want to believe it...
Nuclear expert admits Fukushima reactors melted into the ground, contaminating hundreds of tons of groundwater daily
Please use common sense. If Japan really was unsafe, people would have been evacuated to other countries and every government in the world would be advising to avoid travel. Residents in the last two years have not had an increase of illness.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
True, contaminants don't stop magically traveling beyond an imaginary border, but that border represents an exclosionary zone where background radiation levels are higher than what a rational and advanced industrial nation would find acceptable.

The fact is, we live with radiation all around us, 24/7. Health experts with PhD's in their fields and the UN, American, European, etc. scientists all agree on this border being acceptable. You know more than them? I'd like to know ... I'm open minded, I just require facts and data and NOT hoopla, hysteria, and illogical arguments.

Now if this is an emotional issue ... that's fine. Your prerogative to believe or not believe what you want. But don't masquerade around like you know something that you don't.

Sorry for being so vehement on this issue, I have family who live there alright? And the testing they've done, countless scientists and experts have done, have come up squat. And they can easily up and move, yet they don't. Of course, you'll get the 1/1000 who wants to and does for emotional reactions ... but don't point those statistical anomalies as "proof."
I mostly agree with you. But it seems líke many people here don't underdstand how radiation works. Someone said something about no one being sick yet. Well of course not, it takes decades for deterministic effects (cancers) to begin to appear. Like decades in most cases. I wouldn't expect anyone, except maybe workers to be experiencing burns or hair loss, etc. It's a long term issue.

Even a few hundred km in any direction makes me uncomfortable. I'd want to be looking at numbers constantly. Also, different isotopes have different half lives (caesium - 30yrs) and affects the body differently. It's not so black and white of an issue. If you consume small amounts they remain in your body irradiating whatever organ constantly. Solar rays and the líke just pass through you, for comparison.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:27 PM

208 posts, read 222,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I mostly agree with you. But it seems líke many people here don't underdstand how radiation works. Someone said something about no one being sick yet. Well of course not, it takes decades for deterministic effects (cancers) to begin to appear. Like decades in most cases. I wouldn't expect anyone, except maybe workers to be experiencing burns or hair loss, etc. It's a long term issue.

Even a few hundred km in any direction makes me uncomfortable. I'd want to be looking at numbers constantly. Also, different isotopes have different half lives (caesium - 30yrs) and affects the body differently. It's not so black and white of an issue. If you consume small amounts they remain in your body irradiating whatever organ constantly. Solar rays and the líke just pass through you, for comparison.
If you don't want to get zapped with radiation, don't fly in an airplane , don't get a CT scan, don't go climb a mountain -- the list goes on and on.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:44 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,788,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Nothing to worry about. You could drive up to the reactor (if it weren't illegal) get out of your car, take some photos, then drive back to Tokyo and have no negative health effects. Don't go licking the pavement or drinking from open streams within the exclusion zones; that's about the only way you can put yourself at (minor) risk.

Building a house inside the exclusion zone in an area that hasn't been decontaminated and eating from your garden, for 30 years, would probably elevate your cancer risk by a significant percentage.

Otherwise, you are only at risk if you happen to wear a tinfoil hat.
Tinfoil Hat? You had better think again.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsuleneo View Post
If you don't want to get zapped with radiation, don't fly in an airplane , don't get a CT scan, don't go climb a mountain -- the list goes on and on.
I'm aware of most, if not all, everyday sources of radiation. This doesn't stop the situation in Japan from being pretty serious for the future of a lot of Japan. Contaminants move around the food chain, and differ from x-rays and cosmic rays. They stick around for generations. Not an easy fix for a smallish island country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia