Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:59 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Hi Postman

I agree Singapore have no shortage of elitist...

Our ruling party People's Action party itself is a elitist party.. And now public support for PAP is going down and will continue to go down if they do not change their mindset..

The next General Election in 2015 or 2016... It would be interesting if the government over here changes hands !!!
Was speaking to some Singaporeans last night at a dinner, one of them was saying how Singapore favours foreigners over locals in professional fields like urban planning, that would never stand here. They're so keen to seem 'international' that they're losing their identity, don't you think? Without sounding xenophobic I feel such a small country is also being overrun by foreigners and it's losing it's culture. I know its a culture formed by immigrants, but what if one day Shanghai dumplings (as good as they are) becomes more common than Hainanese chicken rice? God forbid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 07:04 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,274 times
Harry's son who is the Boss of Singapore now .... Still want to take in Foreign Talent despite the locals unhappiness...

But honestly i also cannot stand some Singaporeans ... Bring shame to Singaporeans..

Old 01-30-2014, 07:18 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,825,814 times
I was there for a few days, several years ago. I thought it was about the most boring place I've ever visited. It was very clean, but not interesting...sterile. We spent a full day at the zoo, which is very nice. Ordinarily I wouldn't be very interested in a zoo, but it was the best thing we could find to do there. On the same trip we visited Kyoto, Hong Kong, Canton, Seoul, Jakarta, Bali, Kuala Lumpur, & Bangkok. All of them were better. A Singapore Sling at Raffles Hotel; Chicken Rice at Bugis Village; a city tour; a night market. And the zoo...

Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 PM

well, there are many foreigners who live and work in Singapore and they love it.. And some maybe not so much.. Here is a discussion board for foreign expats who live and work in Singapore..

Singapore Expats Forum View Forum - Relocating, Moving to Singapore

It's a love hate relationship that well.. Some people click with the culture and ambience here, some dont..

No hard and fast formula !!!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I was there for a few days, several years ago. I thought it was about the most boring place I've ever visited. It was very clean, but not interesting...sterile. We spent a full day at the zoo, which is very nice. Ordinarily I wouldn't be very interested in a zoo, but it was the best thing we could find to do there. On the same trip we visited Kyoto, Hong Kong, Canton, Seoul, Jakarta, Bali, Kuala Lumpur, & Bangkok. All of them were better. A Singapore Sling at Raffles Hotel; Chicken Rice at Bugis Village; a city tour; a night market. And the zoo...
It's all about makan, lah! If you like eating, you'll never get bored (but you might over-eat and feel sick).

But seriously, what about S'pore's vibrant restaurant/cafe/nightlife scene?

Did you go to Little India?

What has Jakarta got that Singapore doesn't it?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It's all about makan, lah! If you like eating, you'll never get bored (but you might over-eat and feel sick).

But seriously, what about S'pore's vibrant restaurant/cafe/nightlife scene?

Did you go to Little India?

What has Jakarta got that Singapore doesn't it?
Wow.. Really kudos to the Postman for always putting good words for Singapore in this forum !!!

Thanks

You understand and speak Singlish ? Know our local terms for ordering drinks at Kopi Tiam ? Teh Si.. Kopi Oh.. Kopi Sui dAI...?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Wow.. Really kudos to the Postman for always putting good words for Singapore in this forum !!!

Thanks

You understand and speak Singlish ? Know our local terms for ordering drinks at Kopi Tiam ? Teh Si.. Kopi Oh.. Kopi Sui dAI...?
My Singlish, no so good one...but yeah, I've familiar with it.

Yes, I actually used to think Singapore was boring too (I guess cos we visited so much and I wanted to go somewhere else) and of course it lacks things other places does, but I'm discovering new things about it, and it is getting more interesting imo.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 PM

So when was your last visit to Singapore ?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
So when was your last visit to Singapore ?
Actually I was there for a day on transit in December, and will be back there on the 6th.

I'm looking forward to showing my friend from Vietnam around.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Actually I was there for a day on transit in December, and will be back there on the 6th.

I'm looking forward to showing my friend from Vietnam around.
Yeah i know... Do participate in CHingay when you are here since it happen to fall during your visit ..

As mentioned.. National Day and F1 are the other good periods to visit Singapore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia