U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2014, 05:12 PM
 
215 posts, read 308,778 times
Reputation: 151

Advertisements

I am having a hard time deciding if a trip to Singapore is worth the time/money?

I have had some friends visit Singapore and their reviews ranged from negative to average. I have never heard from a friend that was blown away by the experience.

The main complaint was the culture. I have heard friends who visited and read online about the sterile culture. I have heard some describe it as a waiting in a hospital. I have heard many things are banned such as gum, porno, homosexuality, required to flush toilets, Major fines for littering etc. Honestly, this comes across as borderline communists to me.

For those who have been.... Review your trip. Positive or negative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2014, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
Reputation: 2833
I'm very familiar with Singapore, have family there and have visited many times. If you follow the laws you shouldn't get in trouble. People always say how sterile it is, but seriously, I think they just mean clean = sterile. It still has a lot of authentic Asian culture despite being global/western, especially the food. People are often not that friendly but the food alone is worth it. If you're coming all the way to Singapore at least visit Malaysia or Thailand or somewhere else in SEA Asia. I would recommend Singapore and Malaysia, maybe Malaysian Borneo/East Malaysia - Sabah and Sarawak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 05:32 PM
 
215 posts, read 308,778 times
Reputation: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm very familiar with Singapore, have family there and have visited many times. If you follow the laws you shouldn't get in trouble. People always say how sterile it is, but seriously, I think they just mean clean = sterile. It still has a lot of authentic Asian culture despite being global/western, especially the food. People are often not that friendly but the food alone is worth it. If you're coming all the way to Singapore at least visit Malaysia or Thailand or somewhere else in SEA Asia. I would recommend Singapore and Malaysia, maybe Malaysian Borneo/East Malaysia - Sabah and Sarawak.
I'm not worried about "getting in trouble" it just comes down to me not being interested in visiting a country with those laws. I'm not sure if the laws are true and if so how strict they are on enforcing them. They are just a turn off culturally to me.

Singapore being clean is not a bad thing. I would assume this means low crime too. I am not really interested in Asian food in general - Japanese, Thai, Chinese. Etc. I hate Indian food! So, food might be a positive for some but for me it's a negative in Singapore. And I have no interest in Malaysia or Indonesia, I only want info on Singapore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 05:49 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,272,190 times
Reputation: 416
Hi

From a true blue born and bred in Singapore lady, depends on what you are interested in when you are travelling.. If you are looking for natural scenery and etc.. Singapore is definitely not the place

Singapore experience it for the food !!! You should be blown away by the food variety here.

Good times to visit.. Aug 5-10 (Our national days celebrations are fantastic..) Our CNY period Which is now are you may have to wait for next year.. Late Sept is a good time to visit too.. F1 race going on and many tourists come during the time..

I guess most tourist find it a little boring.. But for a 4 day visit it should be okay..

Welcome to Singapore soon !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 05:51 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,272,190 times
Reputation: 416
Hi

As for how strict the rules are enforced, i would say moderate.. By the way be careful of what you say cos recently a British Expat Anton Casey got into serious trouble with local community when he said people who take public transportation are poor people..

He fled to Perth after being a public enemy here with his comments..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 06:04 PM
 
215 posts, read 308,778 times
Reputation: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Hi

As for how strict the rules are enforced, i would say moderate.. By the way be careful of what you say cos recently a British Expat Anton Casey got into serious trouble with local community when he said people who take public transportation are poor people..

He fled to Perth after being a public enemy here with his comments..
The Singapore police wanted to arrest him simply because of his comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
I'm not worried about "getting in trouble" it just comes down to me not being interested in visiting a country with those laws. I'm not sure if the laws are true and if so how strict they are on enforcing them. They are just a turn off culturally to me.

Singapore being clean is not a bad thing. I would assume this means low crime too. I am not really interested in Asian food in general - Japanese, Thai, Chinese. Etc. I hate Indian food! So, food might be a positive for some but for me it's a negative in Singapore. And I have no interest in Malaysia or Indonesia, I only want info on Singapore.
What piqued your interest in Singapore then? Outside of food well, it's a modern urban metropolis, you can experience diverse Asian cultures within one city (it's a good introduction to Asia), there are modern shopping malls, gardens by the bay, zoo, night safari, sentosa/universal studios.etc.

Perhaps you shouldn't bother after all, although if you try some of the food there you might change your mind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 06:15 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,272,190 times
Reputation: 416
Nope of course not... But netizens were harsh on him.. He got many hateful comments.. Even lost his job in Singapore..

You can look up more information on the internet on Anton Casey.. But not to worry.. He got in trouble becos he didnt know any better..

He himself commented he made the biggest mistake of his life

Expat Anton Casey sorry for 'poor' transport call in Singapore | News.com.au
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Nope of course not... But netizens were harsh on him.. He got many hateful comments.. Even lost his job in Singapore..

You can look up more information on the internet on Anton Casey.. But not to worry.. He got in trouble becos he didnt know any better..

He himself commented he made the biggest mistake of his life

Expat Anton Casey sorry for 'poor' transport call in Singapore | News.com.au
He sounds like an elitist snob...although Singapore has no shortage of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 06:55 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,272,190 times
Reputation: 416
Hi Postman

I agree Singapore have no shortage of elitist...

Our ruling party People's Action party itself is a elitist party.. And now public support for PAP is going down and will continue to go down if they do not change their mindset..

The next General Election in 2015 or 2016... It would be interesting if the government over here changes hands !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top