U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2014, 07:33 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,271,924 times
Reputation: 416

Advertisements

The Newer malls are mostly not in the town area, of course Ion and Marina Bay Sands in relatively new... There are some new malls in Bedok Area too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2014, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Reputation: 2833
I recommend travellers to Singapore to check out the Joo Chiat/Katong area. I actually didn't know much about the area even though it's not far from where my grandmother lives. It's the best place for Peranakan food, and also various Chinese Singaporean delicacies/snacks, plus there are quite a few nice pastry/dessert places around. There's Katong something a rather mall which has a nice food court, and also lots of places that specialise in curry laksa. Near Bedok MRT near the old Malay kampong there is a big food court which has great nasi briyani in the Malay style, an adaptation of the Indian style. Unlike the indian style it seems to have more curry gravy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 07:41 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,271,924 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I recommend travellers to Singapore to check out the Joo Chiat/Katong area. I actually didn't know much about the area even though it's not far from where my grandmother lives. It's the best place for Peranakan food, and also various Chinese Singaporean delicacies/snacks, plus there are quite a few nice pastry/dessert places around. There's Katong something a rather mall which has a nice food court, and also lots of places that specialise in curry laksa. Near Bedok MRT near the old Malay kampong there is a big food court which has great nasi briyani in the Malay style, an adaptation of the Indian style. Unlike the indian style it seems to have more curry gravy.
Being Singaporean for 30 odd years, it is only recently that i knew Harry (LKY) had Peranakan roots in his blood...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,146,089 times
Reputation: 219
Yes agreed with postman, not all singapore malls are aged and in fact quiet mind blowing. KL malls like klcc and sungei wang also looked very aged, they feel like nghee ann city and singapore plaza, not to mention how dull starhill is without the sephora store in front, on the other hand didnt offer that many variety in their interior design and looked rather less appealing, pavillion so far offers the best mall scene in Malaysia. Even malls in Jakarta blew Malaysians mall when it comes to ambience and shop selection. (A fact that have been accepted by many Malaysians)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 07:47 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,271,924 times
Reputation: 416
I am cur5ios Goshio22 which country are you from ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Yes agreed with postman, not all singapore malls are aged and in fact quiet mind blowing. KL malls like klcc and sungei wang also looked very aged, they feel like nghee ann city and singapore plaza, not to mention how dull starhill is without the sephora store in front, on the other hand didnt offer that many variety in their interior design and looked rather less appealing, pavillion so far offers the best mall scene in Malaysia. Even malls in Jakarta blew Malaysians mall when it comes to ambience and shop selection. (A fact that have been accepted by many Malaysians)
How does KLCC look aged?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=k...w=1309&bih=620

Maybe Sungei Wang I haven't been there in many years though.

But yes, Nghee Ann is older but has character.

I went to One Utama for the first time not long ago and it actually looked a bit old though even though it was built in 1996. I was impressed by the Mines Mall. Along with the new Marina Bay it has indoor canals with gondolas lol.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=k...e=off&tbm=isch

I remember thinking how cool that was when i was a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,146,089 times
Reputation: 219
Indonesia, but i used to live in Malaysia for some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Being Singaporean for 30 odd years, it is only recently that i knew Harry (LKY) had Peranakan roots in his blood...
Yes I know, he's also Hakka. His birth name was ironically 'Harry' and he changed it to relate more to the average Singaporean I guess. Ironic because a lot of S'poreans take on English names (like my mother). Now more are given 'English' names though, but during my mum's time most had Chinese, Malay, Indian names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 07:53 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,271,924 times
Reputation: 416
singapore's next PM have narrowed down to 4 main contenders... That is provided if the PAP is still the ruling party..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,850,272 times
Reputation: 796
Shenzhen has loads of local cheap clothes for women however, the sizes are really small, really designed for Chinese frames so the clothes are really not for foreigners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top