U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 07:03 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,144,521 times

Advertisements

Shop till you drop! What are your top 10 list?

Heres mine:

Tokyo
Pros: amazing selection of brands and up to date, hi-tech goods are way cheaper, some of the places on earth that sells the unusual, well developed street and public transportation easy to travel around, sales offer are amazing, staff are friendly, some of the worlds best location for facrory outlet shopping
Cons: language, in general expensive, the cost of Tokyo is consideration before shopping there

Hong Kong
Pros: the city itself is almost like one huge mall, high availability of brands and very up to date, rich types of gadgets and good,, well developed public transportation making it easy to get around, amazing offers on sales, many fake branded items that are reasonably priced
Cons: can be pricey at most of the time, pedestrian trafic can be bad, many fake brands that are cheaper in Guangzhou or Shenzen

Guangzhou and Shenzen
Pros: cheap, wide selection of things to buy name it fake brands, gadgets, clothings, shoes, caps or the real ones, you can buy almost anything, getting around is quiet easy except Shenzen
Cons: language, too many fake brands, sometimes goods have terrible quality

Bangkok
Pros: wide selections of things to buy in sukhumvit from cheap to expensive, local goods and fabrics are very cheap and reasonably priced, malls are well designed and shopping ambience is very nice, malls offer many form of entertainment, staff are friendly,
Cons: very bad trafic, sales on offers usually are mediocre, language sometimes can be a problem

Singapore
Pros: malls usually are nicely done, brands available are amazing and up to date, easy to get around, offers are great during sales, shopping ambience on orchard are great
Cons: getting too expensive even during sales, the cost of singapore overwhelm the offers, staff can be good and bad

Jakarta
Pros: global brands availability in Jakarta is only 2nd to Singapore regionally, malls are well designed with nice ambience making it worth for the traffic, local fabrics are cheap and good quality, staff are friendly, dirt cheap shopping at mangga dua and tanah abang
Cons: luxury goods are heavily taxed, very bad trafic, getting around is tough with bad though improving public transportation, pedestrian unfriendly

Kuala Lumpur
Pros: branded shopping are cheap and tax free, getting around can be easy as monorails and lrt connect to most mall, some of the malls are huge with great entertainments, i love the pasar malam culture, language are not a problem
Cons: goods available is great but still behind few others, getting taxi can be a problem and usually do not take meters, unfriendly and unhelpful staff (some are ok), cheap goods quality tend to be poor, some items are from mangga dua and tanah abang in Jakarta anyway and are more expensive

Shanghai
Pros: brands availability is high, types of good available is rich, fake and cheap branded is highly available but not as much and as cheap as Guangzhou, shopping streets and centers have very nice ambience
Cons: branded and hi-tech items are expensive, trafic, language are big problem, staff tends to be unfriendly, for shopping the city is abit overwhelming

Manila
Pros: dirt cheap shopping in greenhill, malls are huge and offers many form of entertainment, malls like greenbelt and bonifacio are very nice, language are not a problem
Cons: getting around is tough as lrt is too crowded and jeepney can be confusing for newcomers, availability of famous brands are mediocre to low, luxury brands are heavily taxed, goods quality are various, not very safe to carry your grocery, trafic

I have never been to Seoul, Dubai, Mumbai or other cities in Japan, im sure they will have something great to offer for shopper enthusiasters.

Last edited by Goshio22; 02-02-2014 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 11:25 AM

12,574 posts, read 15,041,157 times
Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Singapore.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:36 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Good list of the usual suspects. Singapore isn't really that cheap anymore, at least for the branded stuff (in some cases even more expensive), or electronics.

Dubai is more aimed at the high-end, although the old town/souks offer a more 'authentic' cultural shopping experience, even if a lot of them are modern recreations. You can buy a lot of traditional crafts, clothes.etc but it is getting a little touristy.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:34 PM

If you put handicraft on the list, Jakarta actually have surabaya street as Dubais counterpart of souk, various handicrafts and antiques is very interestinf and nice, though foreigner usually offered price higher than locals its still reasonably priced. Bangkok is also a good place to buy souvernirs and KL have pasar seni, though it didnt have anything worth buying for me. HK also offers great cultural shopping scene.

Yes Singapore is no longer destination for branded-on-sales shopping, middle class Indonesians are now flocking to KL and Bangkok for cheaper shopping, but the upper class still go to Singapore in the name of prestige.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
If you put handicraft on the list, Jakarta actually have surabaya street as Dubais counterpart of souk, various handicrafts and antiques is very interestinf and nice, though foreigner usually offered price higher than locals its still reasonably priced. Bangkok is also a good place to buy souvernirs and KL have pasar seni, though it didnt have anything worth buying for me. HK also offers great cultural shopping scene.

Yes Singapore is no longer destination for branded-on-sales shopping, middle class Indonesians are now flocking to KL and Bangkok for cheaper shopping, but the upper class still go to Singapore in the name of prestige.
Oh yeah, Hanoi and Hoi An in Vietnam too, and various places in China, but of course the quality is often poor. For instance I got some clothes tailored in Vietnam and after a few times wearing the seams were coming apart.

Singapore is definitely experiencing heavy competition from the likes of KL and BKK. In terms of prestige I'd say KL and Bangkok's malls these days easily rival Singapore's. Plus there's Dubai. Even Manila and Jakarta has upscale places, and now Vietnam is getting in on the act with a big mall just built in Hanoi. China also has a few, although it's big malls like the South China Mall are often vacant.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Oh yeah, Hanoi and Hoi An in Vietnam too, and various places in China, but of course the quality is often poor. For instance I got some clothes tailored in Vietnam and after a few times wearing the seams were coming apart.

Singapore is definitely experiencing heavy competition from the likes of KL and BKK. In terms of prestige I'd say KL and Bangkok's malls these days easily rival Singapore's. Plus there's Dubai. Even Manila and Jakarta has upscale places, and now Vietnam is getting in on the act with a big mall just built in Hanoi. China also has a few, although it's big malls like the South China Mall are often vacant.
If i wasnt mistaken Jakarta have now 6 upscales mall, and apperently global designers are on a waiting list to open a store in Jakarta because there are almost no vacant space left, for upscales malls especially not others.

Nah Marina bay and Ion Orchard still blew KL but the malls there are larger at some point, however the Thais are very creative in building new nicely designed malls, they can be very eye catching with all the LEDs on displays. Singapore definitely is losing its grasp as an exclusive shopping destination, though its still on radar by most richer class around SEA. Vietnam however are still far from being shopping destination, atleast to me.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:01 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,330,169 times
For locally made things like textiles, artwork, crafts, ceramics, jewelry, quirky fashions, etc. I like to go shopping in Kathmandu. Really good prices!

Old 02-02-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
If i wasnt mistaken Jakarta have now 6 upscales mall, and apperently global designers are on a waiting list to open a store in Jakarta because there are almost no vacant space left, for upscales malls especially not others.

Nah Marina bay and Ion Orchard still blew KL but the malls there are larger at some point, however the Thais are very creative in building new nicely designed malls, they can be very eye catching with all the LEDs on displays. Singapore definitely is losing its grasp as an exclusive shopping destination, though its still on radar by most richer class around SEA. Vietnam however are still far from being shopping destination, atleast to me.
Well Malaysia has KLCC, Berjaya Times Square, 1 Utama, Midvalley Megamall, places like the Mines.etc, and a better low end market than Singapore, but yes, Singapore probably just has more malls, more variety.

Yes, when I went to Vietnam even 3 years ago the high-end shopping scene was very, very limited. I went to two malls, one in HCMC and one in Hanoi and they were tiny, but I hear they're building many at an astonishing rate, like China did. I wonder though if there will be very vacant shopfronts like in some Chinese malls. I also went to the Golden Resources Mall in Beijing which felt very vacant, but a lot of malls in Shanghai, Beijing and the PRD are starting to rival the likes of Singapore. In terms of consumeristic extravagance Dubai is hard to beat, but it feels a lot more artificial than S'pore. S'pore still offers places like Chinatown and of course Little India. The Mustafa Centre, a 24 hour shopping mall/department store in Little India, is also a great place to check out.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:22 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,271,044 times
Well cos singapore's high end shopping malls have aged and not new compared to newer malls in KL, Bkk and Vietnam etc...

Old 02-02-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Well cos singapore's high end shopping malls have aged and not new compared to newer malls in KL, Bkk and Vietnam etc...
Yet Singapore still continues to build new malls. Suntec City, Vivo, Raffles, Ion Orchird, Marina Square, Marina Bay Sands, the Clementi mall looks pretty modern. The old ones are still popular too, Wisma Atria, Nghee Ann City in Orchard Road, the big one in Jurong, Junction 8 in Bishan, Parkway Parade or something. Some are now filled with Burmese groceries and maid agencies and other low rent places, like Lucky Plaza, Far Eastern Plaza or People's Park. Most of the 'town centres' in Singapore have a decent sized shopping mall, many of which are attached to MRT stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or