U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:30 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,746,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well yeah, not all young people are into that sort of thing either...Not that we don't like to have fun and party now and then, but I just don't like the whole vibe and stuff at the FMP. Lots of foreigners getting stupidly/dangerously drunk and putting themselves in risky situations, acting like idiots, taking a lot of dangerous and suspicious street drugs...

Of course it's not something you have to be bothered about if you're not into it...
We went to Koh Phangan on a boat trip, but not during the FMP. All the young ones that were there for the wedding we were attending did go but I never heard details.

Not that I can't party any more, just a different partying than when I was in my 20's or even 30's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 06:34 PM

774 posts, read 1,614,540 times
Default I don't get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
People like the OP and veganwriter, I'm not sure why you don't keep all your travels on Google Earth, especially with your ability to denigrate complicated societies with thousands of years of history into a few ignorant generalizations. Just save your money. I'm sure you can come up with just as many stereotypes in the confines of your own home without having to go experience it in person.
I don't get it?

First, what is it about keeping my travels on Google Earth that appeals to you?
The world being able to track where I've been? I think they're already gathering waaaaaaay too much information on us. I don't know if you can add comments about places ... but ... perhaps your comment is simply meant to be sarcastic? ((chuckle))

Second, I began my post with, "In My Opinion" ... meaning that I contribute my two cents from my perspective. That's what forums like this is about... to read a variety of opinions and allow to reader to come to his or her own opinion.

Perhaps you're from a place where you're not used to that?
My ex is Japanese ... born and raised for most of her life in Japan. She often said she had to leave because the culture was making her sick due to the way "everybody is supposed to be the same.

Her words:
Quote:
In Japan, every one is supposed to be the same. If you are a nail that sticks out higher than the rest, everyone joins in and beats you down until you're the same height as everyone else.

Now that I think about it, this phenomenon seems to lurk deep within the human psyche everywhere.

Here in America, if you're different, you now get bullied.
We can say that it's a part of the common thread of, "misery likes company" ... haters ... but It's so common that I think it's like a gene that can be nurtured until it turns off, or aggravated to the point it wrecks havoc.

The Hero's Journey comes to mind ... Joseph Campbell and Carl Jung looking into the world's myths and analyzing the long and ancient description of the "Odyssey" open to most humans as they search for meaning throughout their life.

It seems many of us are SUPPOSED to go out ... leave home (Star Wars, The Wizard of Oz, and The Odyssey) and do battle with the inner and outer (metaphors) "Cyclops, sirens, and Poseidon." The richness of a life well lived comes not from cowardly conformity ... but from exploring your inner subconscious (spiritual-psychological) life against what life presents with us next. Lust that leads us against the rocks ... ego that destroys us instead of serves us...etc...

Trust me, I kept my comments much lighter than I could have. 40 years ago, almost every night, I stood on and outside the wire in Thailand with only a dog, a radio, and a modified M-16 with five clips. My job assignment was to, "sound the alarm" ... and basically die.

I was there with thousands of young Americans of every ethnic background. We saw some of the bad, but we loved the place. Returning as a mature man 40 years later and seeing the changes ... in me and in Thailand gave me gratitude for the struggles I've been through and sadness for what has been lost in the "Faustian Bargain" that Thailand has obviously made in her Karmic journey.

I could have gotten stuck in criticizing the ignorant racism and bigotry and pointing out how the media (and other forces) have encouraged the growth of the Western attitudes of arrogance, narcissism, and, "Aren't I special-ism" . I mention them because they are jarring and anyone who thinks otherwise is in for a rude awakening.

Buddhism talks about "Duality" ... labeling everything good or bad instead of what simply, "is."
If I can't list, "what is" for me... then people like me who want information that could be useful to them, go without.
And are you implying that what happened to me... ME ... is irrelevant because ... it's not YOUR opinion?
Perhaps you're annoyed or threatened that the OP would even dare to imply anything but the perfect view of Asia that you have... that somehow ... it "insults our face"?

This is sooo good because it sheds light on what will occur in your travels in Thailand and some--not all--of Asia.
"Face."
I was told the concept of, "Muang Thai" (wrong spelling?) not only includes "Freedom" ... but also, the decree from a long pass King that no Thai should ever take the side of a foreigner against another Thai ... regardless of how right that foreigner is.
Businessmen the world over complain about problems incurred due to "Saving Face" ...
A person can steal from you, and if you catch them, they can get mad and say, "YOU'RE BREAKING MY FACE!!"
(then the foreigner is wrong)

Terrorism
I don't agree that there are terrorist everywhere either ... but all one has to do is walk down Sukhumvit any afternoon around five or six O'clock ... or wander over into the, "Little Cairo" area (especially on Friday) and feel it for yourself. You'd have to be a blind child not to know that tourist die, are killed, lovers are thrown off buildings, setup and jailed and robbed every day throughout the world and not to be aware of need to be safe while traveling ... well ... it's insane.

Pull up any website like and read the travel warnings for yourself. I didn't let it stop me, nor did test the boundaries too much ... but it's good to be aware. For instance this on Thailand from the Bureau of Consular Affairs website, which contains the current Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts:
Quote:
In January 2012, Thai police discovered a large quantity of explosive materials linked to suspected Hizballah operatives. In February 2012, individuals from Iran—who police believe were plotting a terrorist attack against foreign interests in Thailand—detonated explosive devices on a busy street in central Bangkok while they were trying to evade law enforcement officials.

Perhaps you can say more about your annoyance over what angered you about MY experience?

Last edited by veganwriter; 02-21-2014 at 07:29 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 11:02 PM

5,090 posts, read 8,064,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Terrorism
I don't agree that there are terrorist everywhere either ... but all one has to do is walk down Sukhumvit any afternoon around five or six O'clock ... or wander over into the, "Little Cairo" area (especially on Friday) and feel it for yourself. You'd have to be a blind child not to know that tourist die, are killed, lovers are thrown off buildings, setup and jailed and robbed every day throughout the world and not to be aware of need to be safe while traveling ... well ... it's insane.

Quote:
In January 2012, Thai police discovered a large quantity of explosive materials linked to suspected Hizballah operatives. In February 2012, individuals from Iranówho police believe were plotting a terrorist attack against foreign interests in Thailandódetonated explosive devices on a busy street in central Bangkok while they were trying to evade law enforcement officials.
From your description, that does sound like a pretty scary area. But is it really? Maybe a few facts can help clarify things. The way you've described it is as though there are terrorists are likely wandering around all over on Sukhumvit Road around 5 or 6 any afternoon. And since you also mentioned "Little Cairo", I assume the area where you feel the threat in the area around the lower sois along Sukhumvit Road, which is the primary business district and a very popular location. Along Soi 3, off Sukhumvit, is where the Grace Hotel is located. The Grace is popular with people from Pakistan, Iran, etc., and a number of shops and restaurants of interest for such folks.

The location of the 2012 incident you quoted (no source included), was out on Soi 71, which is a heck of a long way out on Sukhumvit, no where near the lower sois. The explosions involved some idiots trying to make hand-held explosives, but apparently had no idea what they were doing. An explosion occured in the house they were renting which blew off part of the roof. One guy was bloody, ran out to the street and tried to hail a taxi to make an escape. The driver didn't want to pick him up, so he tossed an explosive at the vehicle. When the police arrived, the loser then tried tossing another at the police, but it bounced off a tree, landed next to him and exploded, blowing both his legs off. He lived and is now serving a life sentence. Another guy was arrested at the airport trying to escape, but was caught and is serving a 15-year sentence. And another made it to Malaysia, where he was arrested by the police there.
2012 Bangkok bombings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By saying that people can "feel" the threat of terrorism in the Sukhumvit Road area and adding a quote about the explosion as though it somehow supports you point is just plain silly. The explosion incident was a long way out from where most tourists and foreigners are located. Are you trying to scare other people from going there, or have you just gotten yourself freaked out? Why 5 or 6 o'clock any day? Why Friday around "Little Cairo"?

Old 02-22-2014, 10:18 AM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,877,440 times
OP is missing out...but, hey, it's his money..all i can say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or