U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 05:45 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Perhaps Indonesia has cleaned up now, and you might claim that it is safer than either Thailand or the Philippines, but according to international sources, the Jemaah Islamiyah is still active there. And the two Marriott and two Bali bombings happened not so long ago, and all are far worse than any bombings that have occurred in either Thailand or the Philippines. So from an international perspective, it will still take some time before someone will declare that Indonesia is as safe as you claim it to be.
Indonesia | Travel advice | Smartraveller: The Australian Government's travel advisory and consular assistance service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 06:04 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,146,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
We're staying 3 nights in Ubud and 3 nights in Kuta. I am not really interested in Kuta at all, by the sounds of it. I'm more interested in Balinese culture, it's so unique.

I'd like to go to Komodo too, to see the dragons. Also want to go to Lake Toba and Gunung Leseur NP in Sumatra, Mt Bromo and Borbodur, maybe Bandung and Surabaya, maybe Lombok and the more remote eastern parts of Indonesia.
Balinese culture is actually a form of the old Majapahit empire, many of the royalty and Balinese people are actually from Java. So to say it's really pre-Islamic culture of Indonesia.

The 3 Balinese cultural village is a good idea actually if you are into culture especially, 3 of them have been there for ages but are unique amongst themself and totally not modern man made traditional village:
- Panglipuran - the village with same buildings all over th place, have tradition to kick out whomever married outsiders
- Tangganan - village of the craftmen, they preserve forest because of their philosophy
- Trunyan - the real native's village who place dead bodies under kemenyan tree

Good you are in Ubud, then its very easy, temples are abundance you don't have to worry about it that much, there's a royal palace of the Balinese king (don't expect versailles) and they have Balinese dance shows there as well. If you want to see komodo dragon, just go to Bali zoo or Bali birdpark, they aren't that far from Ubud and are in the same regency of Gianyar. They might be pricey but actually quiet worth it especially the komodo dragon. Singaraja the northern city is isnt such a bad idea as the marine park there is probably the best Bali can offer.

As for other places:
- Yogyakarta - well Borobudur is a must for you, and Prambanan, and theres plenty of other temples scattered aorund like candi sewu or candi barong etc.. there are loads of them in between Magelang and Yogyakarta. Yogya have a sultan and a palace, so go get a glimpse of Javanese architecture and cultural dances and gamelang at the palace. Water castle garden ruins is also very interesting, with underground tunnels connecting to different part of the palace. If you want there's a tomb of the Mataram king in kotagede, the oldest neighborhood in Yogyakarta that dates back to 16th century.

- Lombok - compared to Bali the cultural scene is not as impressive really, but the beaches are awesome especially Gili Trawangan island and as well fantastic diving spots. There is few temples and traditional market for you to visit, might be quiet interesting. There are also many Sasaknese village, the native Lombok people who practice a form of Hinduism mixture with Islam (they eat pork) very cultural scene interesting if i must say.

- Surabaya - Indonesia's second largest city, there is a Dutch colonial era quarter in the city near Chinatown. there is also a Sampoerna cigarette museum. It's public transportation is non-existent, but for Indonesian city is actually well-paved enough making it easier to walk and wondering around. Shopping malls are huge and almost comparable to those in Jakarta counterpart, Ciputra world Surabaya or Tunjungan Plaza are great shopping centers. And if the city is not good enough for you since its not that touristy then head for mount bromo and as well pay a visit to Tengger village, Javanese Hindu village that survives, a good place to see living pre-Islamic remnant in Java. Trowulan archielogy site is also not that far from Surabaya, its the former capital ruin of Majapahit empire, but its remain are mainly few scattered temples and gates remain surrounded by park and a museum filled with artifacts and statues (sorry no English language however :/)

Bandung - Dutch colonial buildings haven, plenty of museums but with no English... archaeology museum have t-rex skull but then Australia probably have better. Hmmm shopping in Cihampelas for factory outlets and there's also transtudio indoor themepark. There's a Japanese bunker if i wasn't mistaken there. Might as well go to kawah putih, a lake at a volcano foot with nice hotsprings. Bandug is popular amongst Malaysians, so might just meet with them in Cihampelas especially.

- Lake Toba offers absolutely amazing scenery, you can even take a boat to get into the island in the middle of the lake, Berastagi is also a must, pay a visit to the Batak Karo's traditional village for cultural scene and food.

- If you are into remote area of Indonesia, fly to Makassar (don't forget Fort Rottedam, a Dutch fort well preserved!) in Celebes and get a tour to Tanah Toraja, their village and countryside is very interesting, with many rituals held there.

Last edited by Goshio22; 02-03-2014 at 06:24 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Perhaps Indonesia has cleaned up now, and you might claim that it is safer than either Thailand or the Philippines, but according to international sources, the Jemaah Islamiyah is still active there. And the two Marriott and two Bali bombings happened not so long ago, and all are far worse than any bombings that have occurred in either Thailand or the Philippines. So from an international perspective, it will still take some time before someone will declare that Indonesia is as safe as you claim it to be.
Jemaah Islamayah is not active in Indonesia, as it does in Philippines or Thailand unfortunately Indonesian government does not make any effort to cleanse its name, so in the end its really up to whoever wanted to go or not. Indonesia in my prespective view are very safe, and terrorist risk is very2 low. Security in buildings, malls, airport is very secured and away from terrorist. It really didn't make any sense to say that Indonesia is more dangerous than Philippines or Thailand in certain prespective, since terrorism is very rare in Indonesia and the government is not willing to risk any more of it to damage the country's prestige. The Muslim insurgency in southern Thailand that kills thousands are far worse than the bombing that happened in Indonesia, but being a Muslim dominated country, Indonesia will always get the bad media first.

Our Islamic extremist group are called FPI (front pembela Islam/Islamic defender front) but they are really just useless bunch of unemployed people, who the general population hates, they try to force people into Islamism and rejects whatever they think is inappropriate in morale perspective, with few violence and havoc wrecking sometimes, but not bombing or terrorism.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Balinese culture is actually a form of the old Majapahit empire, many of the royalty and Balinese people are actually from Java. So to say it's really pre-Islamic culture of Indonesia.

The 3 Balinese cultural village is a good idea actually if you are into culture especially, 3 of them have been there for ages but are unique amongst themself and totally not modern man made traditional village:
- Panglipuran - the village with same buildings all over th place, have tradition to kick out whomever married outsiders
- Tangganan - village of the craftmen, they preserve forest because of their philosophy
- Trunyan - the real native's village who place dead bodies under kemenyan tree

Good you are in Ubud, then its very easy, temples are abundance you don't have to worry about it that much, there's a royal palace of the Balinese king (don't expect versailles) and they have Balinese dance shows there as well. If you want to see komodo dragon, just go to Bali zoo or Bali birdpark, they aren't that far from Ubud and are in the same regency of Gianyar. They might be pricey but actually quiet worth it especially the komodo dragon. Singaraja the northern city is isnt such a bad idea as the marine park there is probably the best Bali can offer.

As for other places:
- Yogyakarta - well Borobudur is a must for you, and Prambanan, and theres plenty of other temples scattered aorund like candi sewu or candi barong etc.. there are loads of them in between Magelang and Yogyakarta. Yogya have a sultan and a palace, so go get a glimpse of Javanese architecture and cultural dances and gamelang at the palace. Water castle garden ruins is also very interesting, with underground tunnels connecting to different part of the palace. If you want there's a tomb of the Mataram king in kotagede, the oldest neighborhood in Yogyakarta that dates back to 16th century.

- Lombok - compared to Bali the cultural scene is not as impressive really, but the beaches are awesome especially Gili Trawangan island and as well fantastic diving spots. There is few temples and traditional market for you to visit, might be quiet interesting. There are also many Sasaknese village, the native Lombok people who practice a form of Hinduism mixture with Islam (they eat pork) very cultural scene interesting if i must say.

- Surabaya - Indonesia's second largest city, there is a Dutch colonial era quarter in the city near Chinatown. there is also a Sampoerna cigarette museum. It's public transportation is non-existent, but for Indonesian city is actually well-paved enough making it easier to walk and wondering around. Shopping malls are huge and almost comparable to those in Jakarta counterpart, Ciputra world Surabaya or Tunjungan Plaza are great shopping centers. And if the city is not good enough for you since its not that touristy then head for mount bromo and as well pay a visit to Tengger village, Javanese Hindu village that survives, a good place to see living pre-Islamic remnant in Java. Trowulan archielogy site is also not that far from Surabaya, its the former capital ruin of Majapahit empire, but its remain are mainly few scattered temples and gates remain surrounded by park and a museum filled with artifacts and statues (sorry no English language however :/)

Bandung - Dutch colonial buildings haven, plenty of museums but with no English... archaeology museum have t-rex skull but then Australia probably have better. Hmmm shopping in Cihampelas for factory outlets and there's also transtudio indoor themepark. There's a Japanese bunker if i wasn't mistaken there. Might as well go to kawah putih, a lake at a volcano foot with nice hotsprings. Bandug is popular amongst Malaysians, so might just meet with them in Cihampelas especially.

- Lake Toba offers absolutely amazing scenery, you can even take a boat to get into the island in the middle of the lake, Berastagi is also a must, pay a visit to the Batak Karo's traditional village for cultural scene and food.

- If you are into remote area of Indonesia, fly to Makassar (don't forget Fort Rottedam, a Dutch fort well preserved!) in Celebes and get a tour to Tanah Toraja, their village and countryside is very interesting, with many rituals held there.
Sorry I meant to say we were staying in Ubud and Seminyak, not Kuta. Will try to avoid Kuta.

Yes I look forward to seeing all that. Are there any volcanoes which are easily accessible? I've seen komodo dragons at Singapore zoo but want to see them in the wild.

Thanks for the detailed info, won't have time for Java, but it's so close and cheap that I can always check it out. Lake Toba too, as it's super close to Singapore.

Sulawesi, Celebes.etc is on my list too, it seems more native, with the locals being more Animist or Christian (like a lot of Borneo) compared to Muslim. Have you travelled much in this region?

Old 02-03-2014, 06:37 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,358,125 times
OP, the possibility of terrorist attacks in the USA is much higher than in any developed part of the world and much of Asia, don't you think so? I'd advise you to not travel at all, since you seems to be a typical ignorant and naive American. Don't embarrass your country even more, if that's even possible.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:48 AM

@postman Seminyak is almost like Kuta, slightly less traffic and chaos... but there's great choices of restaurants there if you like and beaches too. Seminyak and Kuta is actually like one area connected with Legian road :P but in Seminyak its very easy to access the drivers to get you around Bali, but if you insist on staying in Seminyak i wouldn't say its all that bad.

I only went to Makassar, as a city its just ok but the beaches there is pretty appealing, but noo haven't got the chance to visit Tanah Toraja i've heard fascinating stories from it... very tribal and unique in a sense, they even have this cow slaughter culture for the youth as a sign of maturity..

Mount Agung in Bali is very accesible, if you are into volcano might as well visit it while in Bali or maybe mount Rinjani in Lombok which offers much more spectacular view, i think that's the best bet you can get! Mount bromo, Mount Kawi, Mount Krakatoa is easy but you don't have time for Java... puncak Jaya in Papua is tough to reach but that's the highest we got (with snow at peak!)

Last edited by Goshio22; 02-03-2014 at 06:56 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
@postman Seminyak is almost like Kuta, slightly less traffic and chaos... but there's great choices of restaurants there if you like and beaches too. Seminyak and Kuta is actually like one area connected with Legian road :P

I only went to Makassar, as a city its just ok but the beaches there is pretty appealing, but noo haven't got the chance to visit Tanah Toraja i've heard fascinating stories from it... very tribal and unique in a sense, they even have this cow slaughter culture for the youth as a sign of maturity..

Mount Agung in Bali is very accesible, if you are into volcano might as well visit it while in Bali or maybe mount Rinjani in Lombok which offers much more spectacular view, i think that's the best bet you can get! Mount bromo, Mount Kawi, Mount Krakatoa is easy but you don't have time for Java... puncak Jaya in Papua is tough to reach but that's the highest we got (with snow at peak!)
Yes, I'm thinking maybe one day going there, but only if the visibility is good because I know February is a very wet month. Well less chaos is good, I want P&Q, just stayed in Seminyak to see what beach life on Bali is like.

Yes, Lombok interests me partly for Rinjani. And of course would like to see Puncak Jaya, highest peak in Indonesia and SEA outside Burma.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:41 AM

5,091 posts, read 8,068,874 times
Quote:
Bangkok is a nice first-timer destination in Southeast Asia, but it is under a state of emergency now, so I wouldn't advise the OP to go now.
What is the source of your information?

Old 02-03-2014, 09:51 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,358,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
What is the source of your information?
Type riots in Bangkok into google and you will find plenty:
BBC News - Thai troops deployed amid Bangkok protests

Old 02-03-2014, 10:31 AM

5,091 posts, read 8,068,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Type riots in Bangkok into google and you will find plenty:
BBC News - Thai troops deployed amid Bangkok protests
So then the entire city is under seige and locked down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or