Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 04:57 PM

215 posts, read 378,749 times

Advertisements

Has anyone out there been interested in seeing many countries around the world but passing over on all of Asia?

Honestly, this is how I'm starting to feel. Is there others out there like me?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 06:25 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Sure, there are many like that. It isn't everyone's cuppa. Although to me a true world traveller would not at least close their minds off to Asia without even visiting.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:17 PM

I don't want to be a world traveler. I want to visit countries worth my money.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
I don't want to be a world traveler. I want to visit countries worth my money.
Sure, it's your money to do what you want. Asia is definitely 'worth' the money, if you ask me, but hey, if that's all you wanted to say I guess that's great then...

Old 02-02-2014, 07:47 PM

Well I should have stated this earlier; I have been to HK and Tokyo. I would assume most would agree these are the two premier cities in Asia. I'm thinking about skipping the rest.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Well I should have stated this earlier; I have been to HK and Tokyo. I would assume most would agree these are the two premier cities in Asia.
And you didn't like them? What about them did you not like, and what were you expecting?

Old 02-02-2014, 08:35 PM

No, I loved them. I just can't get excited about the rest of Asia but am trying to do lots of research (travel shows, YouTube, google maps, reading this forum, etc.)

Old 02-02-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
No, I loved them. I just can't get excited about the rest of Asia but am trying to do lots of research (travel shows, YouTube, google maps, reading this forum, etc.)
Oh ok. What did you like most about them, the technology/shopping? If so I think you'll find Singapore worthwhile. If you're interested in culture, Asia has a lot to offer, it's very diverse of course, which each country being very different. These days it's easy to find western food in places like Singapore, KL, Hong Kong, Tokyo, and touristy parts of South-East Asia like Bangkok and Phuket, but maybe you should at least try some of the good stuff (check the net and ask locals for recommendations). I mean a lot of Asian food isn't weird, even the fussiest eaters seem to enjoy dishes like Hainanese chicken rice, for instance.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:30 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,644 times
To the OP:

It's your money, it's your prerogative. I don't know what the purpose of this thread is at all and I still find it hard to believe that you cannot find a Singapore travelogue online.

Anyway, Asia is much more than just Tokyo and Hong Kong. If you like those two, then why skip the rest of Asia? And there's really no reason why you have to decide to skip Asia altogether now. Tokyo and Hong Kong may be the premier cities in Asia, but they are not the only ones worth visiting. And if you're worried about costs, Tokyo and Hong Kong are among the most expensive in the world. You may decide to skip Singapore this year, why not open up the possibility of visiting other parts of Asia in the future?

I suggest before you jump into conclusions that you try to write down what your expectations are for your travel destinations, what you liked and disliked from your previous travel experiences. You need to list out what your interests are, so some people can help you suggest where to go.

With regards to Singapore, it's farther from North America, so plane fares are normally higher. You would most likely have to stop by Tokyo, Hong Kong, Seoul, or Taipei before flying to Singapore. Hotel costs in Singapore are high too. So I would say that it definitely is not worth the costs to ONLY visit Singapore from North America for only a few days. Airlines like Cathay Pacific have Visit Asia promos where in you can plan to visit more cities if you take the trans-Pacific flight from them. That might be more "worth" it for you.

If you like Tokyo and Hong Kong, the cities that are more similar are Seoul, Osaka/Kyoto and Taipei. Taipei is much cheaper than either Tokyo and Hong Kong as well as the airfare should not cost too much from the USA. Definitely nothing 3rd world about Taiwan as well. Even the other countries that you label as "3rd world", it's not really that bad if you research where to stay. In these countries, you can pretty much stay at a 5-star hotel at half the price of a 4-star hotel in Hong Kong. It's not like you need to stay in a hut in the jungle. And in larger cities in "3rd world" countries, you'll be surprised how modern, how sheltered and how good foreign expats have it in these places and how much more a $ can get you.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
To the OP:

It's your money, it's your prerogative. I don't know what the purpose of this thread is at all and I still find it hard to believe that you cannot find a Singapore travelogue online.

Anyway, Asia is much more than just Tokyo and Hong Kong. If you like those two, then why skip the rest of Asia? And there's really no reason why you have to decide to skip Asia altogether now. Tokyo and Hong Kong may be the premier cities in Asia, but they are not the only ones worth visiting. And if you're worried about costs, Tokyo and Hong Kong are among the most expensive in the world. You may decide to skip Singapore this year, why not open up the possibility of visiting other parts of Asia in the future?

I suggest before you jump into conclusions that you try to write down what your expectations are for your travel destinations, what you liked and disliked from your previous travel experiences. You need to list out what your interests are, so some people can help you suggest where to go.

With regards to Singapore, it's farther from North America, so plane fares are normally higher. You would most likely have to stop by Tokyo, Hong Kong, Seoul, or Taipei before flying to Singapore. Hotel costs in Singapore are high too. So I would say that it definitely is not worth the costs to ONLY visit Singapore from North America for only a few days. Airlines like Cathay Pacific have Visit Asia promos where in you can plan to visit more cities if you take the trans-Pacific flight from them. That might be more "worth" it for you.

If you like Tokyo and Hong Kong, the cities that are more similar are Seoul, Osaka/Kyoto and Taipei. Taipei is much cheaper than either Tokyo and Hong Kong as well as the airfare should not cost too much from the USA. Definitely nothing 3rd world about Taiwan as well. Even the other countries that you label as "3rd world", it's not really that bad if you research where to stay. In these countries, you can pretty much stay at a 5-star hotel at half the price of a 4-star hotel in Hong Kong. It's not like you need to stay in a hut in the jungle. And in larger cities in "3rd world" countries, you'll be surprised how modern, how sheltered and how good foreign expats have it in these places and how much more a $ can get you.
No most of the touristed parts of Asia are nothing like the really bad places in the world, like parts of India or Africa. There are slums in some cities like Manila, Jakarta, Bangkok, Phnom Penh, and some poor, shabby rural areas, but most of the tourist areas are pretty clean and safe.

You say you're not interested in Malaysia, but how much do you know about it? It's a good introduction to Asia, imo, being a blend of various cultures and food, being more westernised and easy to get around (with the food). If you like nature it offers beaches, the most extant rainforest on mainland SEA, amazing sights like caves and mountains, like Mt Kinabalu in Borneo. Kuching is a clean and friendly city, as is Miri and KK. I find Malaysia underrated in some ways. Plus there's fewer touts hassling you like in Thailand or trying to cheat you. On the peninsula check out KL, Taman Negara, the east coast (more Malay culture and nicer beaches), Melaka, Penang. A trip to Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand would be a good introduction to South-East Asia. Vietnam or Cambodia would be a bit more of a 'culture shock' for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia