Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 12:01 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,825,968 times

Advertisements

I agree with Goshio... OP is already biased against Asia in his mindset.. Would be better for him to go elsewhere when he does not have a fixed mindset about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 12:03 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,652,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
No most of the touristed parts of Asia are nothing like the really bad places in the world, like parts of India or Africa. There are slums in some cities like Manila, Jakarta, Bangkok, Phnom Penh, and some poor, shabby rural areas, but most of the tourist areas are pretty clean and safe.

You say you're not interested in Malaysia, but how much do you know about it? It's a good introduction to Asia, imo, being a blend of various cultures and food, being more westernised and easy to get around (with the food). If you like nature it offers beaches, the most extant rainforest on mainland SEA, amazing sights like caves and mountains, like Mt Kinabalu in Borneo. Kuching is a clean and friendly city, as is Miri and KK. I find Malaysia underrated in some ways. Plus there's fewer touts hassling you like in Thailand or trying to cheat you. On the peninsula check out KL, Taman Negara, the east coast (more Malay culture and nicer beaches), Melaka, Penang. A trip to Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand would be a good introduction to South-East Asia. Vietnam or Cambodia would be a bit more of a 'culture shock' for you.
Thailand is the best choice for firstimer, imho. Then maybe get an experience of Malaysia then Singapore. Its very easy to travel between the 3 country anyway.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:03 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
I would fly into Singapore, see how you like it there, then go up to Malaysia and then Thailand. Thailand gets a lot of tourists, but going by what you said, it's still a culture shock compared to Singapore.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:08 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,644 times
Bangkok is a nice first-timer destination in Southeast Asia, but it is under a state of emergency now, so I wouldn't advise the OP to go now.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Yeah dont lump Indonesia together with Malaysia, its totally different country having different culture and people. Terrorism in Indonesia is relatively low and are much safer than India and dont even compare it with Afganistan. Bali is heaven for tourist and is completely safe, as does other city having relatively low crime rate, security after the post bombing which do not have anything to do with Indonesians themself, are now fully fledged making it very hard for terrorist, airport and building security in Indonesia is even better than Thailand or Malaysia imho. All provinces in Indonesia is now very stable unlike 1990s, people enjoy equality and democracy, totally NOT terrorist danger zone. We also have no active insurgency like Thailand or Philippines.

Sorry postman but i dont see how Malaysia is a better choice than Indonesia, sure Malaysia have multiculturism and better HDI whatsoever. But the cultural experience that Indonesia offer could easily match its neighbor and even better, and Indonesia always has been associated with what tourist would call exotic. we have giant borobudur temple and cultures that varies from different islands and not to mention Bali, the ultimate heaven.

Lat note for op: we dont need person who are anti-asia to go here anyway, its pointless to spend your money here if you wouldnt like anything to do with third worldish experience or anything to do with the food. Skip Asia and spend your money in south americas or europe, they are better for you.
Actually there's been a few terrorist attacks in Indonesia, the most well known and deadly being the 2002 and 2005 Bali bombings. Also the Marriott bombings in Jakarta. Indonesia is still a breeding ground for Islamic terrorism, but it wouldn't stop me from visiting Java or Bali, in fact I'm going to Bali soon. I don't hear about terrorist attacks in KL at all. The Australian government warns against visiting the eastern provinces/islands, like Sulawesi and Irian Jaya, but they don't often update their info frequently.

I'd say for this particular individual Malaysia is a much better choice than Indonesia for a first-timer to South-East Asia. It's safer, easier to get around within and between cities (better public transport, but not as good as Singapore), a bit less chaotic, most people speak English - at the very least enough to help you if you get in trouble, it's more British, it has more attractions concentrated in a small area that are easily accessible, and the food is more diverse. Fewer touts and people hassling you/trying to rip you off, that sort of thing, which you find in most of Asia.

Indonesia is a fascinating place, to be sure, but aside from Bali, it takes more planning and is definitely more of an 'off the beaten track' experience. Java is very urban, but it's not a tourist-friendly place. You'll often have to rely on taxis, and in an unfamiliar place you never know what will happen. Sumatra, Kalimantan, Sulawesi, Flores.etc too, amazing places for nature and culture, but I would not recommend them for a first time visitor unless they know what they're getting into.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Thailand is the best choice for firstimer, imho. Then maybe get an experience of Malaysia then Singapore. Its very easy to travel between the 3 country anyway.
I would say BKK is ok, but Singapore is still the best introduction to Asia. Flights are cheap from Singapore to anywhere in SEA. It's also first world, which is what the OP is looking for, yet retains some authentic culture (despite what people will tell you).

Old 02-03-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Bangkok is a nice first-timer destination in Southeast Asia, but it is under a state of emergency now, so I wouldn't advise the OP to go now.
Yes, will wait and see what happens...I wouldn't go right now either. If the OP is going to SEA, start with Singapore, trust me on this one.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:24 AM

215 posts, read 378,749 times
Quote:
Who told you that? Malaysia doesn't have a high risk of terrorism, never heard of any terrorist attack there.
U.S. Government official public Affairs website.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:26 AM

215 posts, read 378,749 times
Quote:
Yes, will wait and see what happens...I wouldn't go right now either. If the OP is going to SEA, start with Singapore, trust me on this one.
I agree. I watch tons of travel shows and have heard hosts say Singapore is the best intro into Asia for Americans. Hong Kong is a close second. The reason is because both are first world and English speaking.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
I agree. I watch tons of travel shows and have heard hosts say Singapore is the best intro into Asia for Americans. Hong Kong is a close second. The reason is because both are first world and English speaking.
Singapore is significantly more English speaking than Hong Kong (I'd say it's de-facto Anglosphere), where almost everyone under the age of 65 (that is a native Singaporean, keep in mind the many foreign workers) can speak English, some better than others, but certainly they will be able to help you. In contrast, only a minority of people in Hong Kong can speak English fluently, although most young ones know at least a smidgen. I found English in Bangkok surprisingly lacking (and even better than rural areas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia