U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 09:11 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Paella isn't spicy at all. Frango com Piri Piri ( spicy chicken ) is.
Well spicy in the true meaning of the word, as in containing spices, like paprika and cumin, not just hot from chillis.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:13 PM

599 posts, read 558,048 times
Paella does not contain cumin. Contains paprika in the "cheap" version, the real paella is with saffron.

Anyway, as you said, in the true meaning of the world is spicy.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:42 PM

Sorry I meant turmeric or saffron.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:35 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,851,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Sorry I meant turmeric or saffron.
It's Saffron.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:41 PM

163 posts, read 199,100 times
Quote:
Well that is pretty easy to fix. Just shake some salt on it. Food that is otherwise poorly flavoured, though, is harder to fix.

Maybe your tastebuds are still too Filipino. Very salty.

You say it like it's an insult.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:45 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,851,414 times
Quote:
Well spicy in the true meaning of the word, as in containing spices, like paprika and cumin, not just hot from chillis.
Paella doesn't have Cumin.

Anyway, I just don't use salt, soysauce and black pepper when I cook. I also use paprika, cumin, oregano, Italian herbs, coriander and Mexican chili.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:45 AM

774 posts, read 1,615,439 times
Default Okay ...

There's a lot of info here... but why do people avoid the root of who they are?
There's always these discussions about Westernizing the
And when we talk about the food ... which is a HUGE part of what makes culture, we have to accurately determine who we're talking about.

Filipinos aren't really "Asians" ...
This seems to stir up a lot of feelings.
Yet, I see aknowlegement about Malaysian roots.

Filipinos are Austronesians.
"People of the canoe" ... like Polynesians.
Quote:
"The Austronesian-speaking peoples are various populations in Southeast Asia and Oceania that speak languages of the Austronesian family. They include Taiwanese aborigines; the majority ethnic groups of Malaysia, East Timor, the Philippines, Indonesia, Brunei, Madagascar, Micronesia, and Polynesia, as well as the Polynesian peoples of New Zealand and Hawaii, and the non-Papuan people of Melanesia. They are also found in Singapore, the Pattani region of Thailand, and the Cham areas of Vietnam (remnants of the Champa kingdom which covered central and southern Vietnam), Cambodia, and Hainan, China. The territories populated by Austronesian-speaking peoples are known collectively as Austronesia."
That's a proud heritage!
  • Yes, the Philippines are Catholic ... and not Buddhist. (Huge)
  • Most Filipinos have Spanish sir names ...
  • The original inhabitants of the Philippines were black, negro looking people that were later called, "Nigeritos".
  • Food, religion, and language make up a culture.
  • Economics have to play a role in diet choices. (And please no comments about eating dog. Dog is eaten throughout much of the South Pacific ... and it's especially popular in Korea and China.)
  • The atrocities committed during the Philippines-American war 1899–1902) where Americans slaughtered thousands and enlisted the aid of those who would later become rulers of the Philippines apparently had an affect on the look, taste, and feel of the nation. (No one talks about it, but General Jacob H. Smith ordered his troops to: "KILL EVERY ONE OVER TEN". It became a caption in the New York Journal cartoon on May 5, 1902. ) I often suspect that a lot of the rebels were from the darker skin original inhabitant population.

Reports from the war back this up:
Quote:
"Throughout the entire war American soldiers would write home about the horrors and atrocities which the United States committed in the Philippines. A New York-born soldier wrote: “The town of Titatia [sic] was surrendered to us a few days ago, and two companies occupy the same. Last night one of our boys was found shot and his stomach cut open. Immediately orders were received from General Wheaton to burn the town and kill every native in sight; which was done to a finish. About 1,000 men, women and children were reported killed. I am probably growing hard-hearted, for I am in my glory when I can sight my gun on some dark skin and pull the trigger (Benevolent Assimilation, p. 88)."
But there has also been a lot of northern Chinese genes added to the gene pool and I think location and this fact adds to the confusion around the ethnic make up of who the Filipino people are.

I say all this because the bigger question in my mind is not "why is the Filipino food so bad" ... it's, "where are the Philippines headed?"
Are there discussions, hopes, dreams and aspirations about it? (I mean, beyond the call-centers and furniture factories.)

Economic Hardship
The economy was hit hard when the Americans pulled out. This has caused what some Filipinos call, "a brain drain" in the nation. Its best and brightest go in search of brighter futures in other countries. So what ideas do Filipinos discuss about improving the quality of life? It's all interconnected. With poverty comes crime and crime makes the tourist and investors stay away. This is a problem throughout the developing world.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:56 AM

^ But what makes someone 'Asian'? Asia is a geographical term, so anyone from Asia is Asian, from an Israeli to a Japanese. It's a very diverse place, there's no one 'Asian culture.' The Philippines is politically considered part of Asia so Filipinos are Asian. They probably came from China anyway, a long with Polynesians and other Austronesians.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:58 AM

774 posts, read 1,615,439 times
Default ahhh.. Postman again

Postman .. dear ... post man...

There's no need to make up our own definitions of culture.
  • Social Scientist define culture.
  • Sociologist define culture.
  • Anthropologist define culture.
  • Theoretical Cultural Determinist define culture.
Culture is not always clear nor cohesive.
linguistics and psycho-linguistics help determine culture
Diet ... is the food the same or different than people in that region?

For instance, you can have three African men sitting somewhere in Africa and due to the modern influence (i.e. American and European) on race, most people would simply call all three of them, "Blacks" or "Negroes."

But that's not how they would define themselves.
  1. One is a Moor
  2. One is a Arab (not just a "Muslim" ... but an Arab)
  3. And another is a sub-Saharan African of this or that tribal group or nation.
Quote:
Culture is the characteristics of a particular group of people, defined by everything from language, religion, cuisine, social habits, music and arts.
Geneticist have proven, without a doubt, that it is these men and women who left the African continent and peopled the world. That is why Polynesians and Austronesians are, "People of the canoe" ... they walked as far as they could, then traveled by large boats and long canoes. Think of Fiji, Malaysia, and New Guinea. Then think of trade, climate change during and after the Ice Age.

Most get upset because they confuse "race" with culture.

There is only one "race" and that's the human race ... otherwise we couldn't procreate together. We're all one species. But we're many ethnicities, genotypes, and cultures.

Quote:
"Recent maternal mitochondrial DNA analysis suggests that Polynesians, including Samoans, Tongans, Niueans, Cook Islanders, Tahitians, Hawaiians, Marquesans and Māori, are genetically linked to indigenous peoples of parts of Southeast Asia including those of Taiwan. This DNA evidence is supported by linguistic and archaeological evidence."
SEE: Implications of Cultural Differences for Cross-Cultural Management Research and Practice. The Journal of Psychology, 135(5), 501-517.]

I became fascinated by all this one day when in a room full of veterans from all over the country.. and naturally, we were a very ethically diverse group. There were about five Filipino vets in the room. One Japanese veteran stood up and looked at everyone and prefaced his speech by saying, "As I ... being the ONLY Asian in the room (and he looked directly at the Filipinos who stiffened but said nothing), I ... bla-bla-bla..."

This was a cultural difference .. a tension that none of us before were aware of.
When I saw "The Journey of Man" on educational television, this made me more curious.
Then I began studying art ... and found links to Japanese and Chinese ties to Africa through migration and .. "Polynesians" ... Poly ... "people of various ethnic groups that speak Polynesian languages, a branch of the Oceanic languages within the Austronesian languages, and inhabit Polynesia."

SEE:
"Eden in the East: The Drowned Continent of Southeast Asia" by Stephen Oppenheimer

There are TONS of facts on the subject. A simple search pops up no end of information.

Again, the issue that interests me is not how bad the food is in the Philippines .... its a far more interesting question about what do Filipinos think about the direction they hope their nation will head into.

It's important psychologically because whoever and whatever you are... "Divinity" should look like you. That his how important gifts are brought to the world's table... not by being forced to emulate or omit one's uniqueness. The Philippines has a powerful history and culture. It has its own gifts to bring to the table that don't need to be overshadowed by anything else.

Given the problems in the world today, it's important to look forward and learn from how each is engineering his or her destiny.

Quote:
If you don't engineer your own destiny, your destiny shall be engineered for you. ~ Henry J. Kaiser

Old 02-20-2014, 10:01 AM

^ That's all good and well, but we should focus on the topic. I'm a bit tired of the 'are Filipinos Asian/Hispanic.etc' arguments. Frankly I don't really see it as important, it's just a label anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or