U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 10:10 AM

774 posts, read 1,615,439 times

Advertisements

Your way or the highway?

((chuckle)) Again we meet.
I feel it's very relevant because the question was asked, "Why is Filipino food so bad?"

First, many of us want to know what is "Filipino food" and where does it come from?

Of course that includes and brings up, "why is it different from other food in the region?"
And.. when diet comes up, culture and economics comes up.
The next question is ... what can improve it?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:22 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Well that's how it generally works here, we stick to the topic and anything directly relevant to it.

Yes, of course food is part of culture and influenced by it. I would say the fact Filipino didn't have an 'advanced' culture prior to Europeans might have something to do with it. Also being sort of out of the way of the spice route to India and the East Indies.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:59 PM

201 posts, read 265,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I would say the fact Filipino didn't have an 'advanced' culture prior to Europeans
The Arabs and their Islam religion reached the Philippine archipelago long before the Europeans (Spaniards) arrived. In a way, the Philippines was more or less like Malaysia/Indonesia around that time.

Does your above quoted statement also imply that Indonesia and Malaysia did not have an 'advanced' culture prior to European arrival/colonization?

Old 02-20-2014, 05:04 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well that's how it generally works here, we stick to the topic and anything directly relevant to it.

Yes, of course food is part of culture and influenced by it. I would say the fact Filipino didn't have an 'advanced' culture prior to Europeans might have something to do with it. Also being sort of out of the way of the spice route to India and the East Indies.
Don't know where you got that conclusion, but how can you pass judgment when you haven't even visited the Philippines?

With regards to its development, Malaysia and Singapore actually were relatively undeveloped when Spain colonized the Philippines, and Manila was a far more important trade city from the 16th century up to maybe 50 years ago. So having been among the premier Asian cities for 350 years made its food bad? While Singapore's food became stellar the last 50 years? Does that mean that LKY is also responsible for making Singapore cuisine what it is now?

And no, it just doesn't follow that any "advanced" culture makes the food better. As I mentioned, British food has among the worst reputation. In fact, in Europe, the joke is that in hell, the cooks are British. But then, they were once the world's biggest empire. Up to now, I haven't heard anyone who travels to London for the food. In fact, I haven't heard of anyone who goes to UK, Netherlands, Finland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, etc. for the food.

Besides, any judgment in food depends on one's palate. As much as I eat Thai, Indonesian and Malaysian food, I dislike Indian food. And I would also say that I have heard some non-Filipinos (in real life and also in this thread alone) that there are some Filipino dishes that they actually like!

Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Don't know where you got that conclusion, but how can you pass judgment when you haven't even visited the Philippines?

With regards to its development, Malaysia and Singapore actually were relatively undeveloped when Spain colonized the Philippines, and Manila was a far more important trade city from the 16th century up to maybe 50 years ago. So having been among the premier Asian cities for 350 years made its food bad? While Singapore's food became stellar the last 50 years? Does that mean that LKY is also responsible for making Singapore cuisine what it is now?

And no, it just doesn't follow that any "advanced" culture makes the food better. As I mentioned, British food has among the worst reputation. In fact, in Europe, the joke is that in hell, the cooks are British. But then, they were once the world's biggest empire. Up to now, I haven't heard anyone who travels to London for the food. In fact, I haven't heard of anyone who goes to UK, Netherlands, Finland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, etc. for the food.

Besides, any judgment in food depends on one's palate. As much as I eat Thai, Indonesian and Malaysian food, I dislike Indian food. And I would also say that I have heard some non-Filipinos (in real life and also in this thread alone) that there are some Filipino dishes that they actually like!
I'm just trying to give possible reasons why Filipino food was more influenced by Spain and well, isn't considered as good.

Singapore's food didn't just become stellar in the past 50 years...Singaporean food is 200 years in the making and older.

Actually don't underestimate Australia or the UK's foodie scene. No, our indigenous cuisine (not aboriginal but European-derived, although people are cottoning on to native ingredients more) is nothing to write home about, but we have a very multicultural population, many cuisines, and one of the most exciting fine dining scenes in the world with some of the best chefs, same with the UKs. Some of the best/most famous chefs/cooks come from the UK, Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsay, Heston Blumenthal, Nigella Lawson. Australia's produce, from our fresh veg and fruit, livestock and fresh seafood, is the envy of much of the world. We're a leader in organic produce as well. In fact, I would not hesitate to say Australia is right now one of the best countries in the world but overall food scene, for ingredients + diversity. Canada and the UK are definitely coming up too.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:05 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,207,254 times
seems like most of the customers at Filipino restaurants in the US are Filipino or non Filipino men married to a Filipina

you never see other ethnic groups bring their whole family to have dinner at Filipino restaurants like you do at other types of restaurants

Old 02-20-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
seems like most of the customers at Filipino restaurants in the US are Filipino or non Filipino men married to a Filipina

you never see other ethnic groups bring their whole family to have dinner at Filipino restaurants like you do at other types of restaurants
Yes, that seems the case in Singapore. Singaporeans tend to eat a wider variety of cuisines than most other Asians, since there is so much variety, yet Filipino food still hasn't caught on. Maybe it's because generally just not very good.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:28 PM

163 posts, read 199,037 times
Going back to the question "why is Filipino food so lacklustre?", again, "lacklustre" is subjective. If you dislike it so much and are convinced about its disgusting flavors and textures, then I am curious as to why you

I think many have attempted to explain the history of Filipino cuisine (and history) to you and you seem to refuse everything presented.

If you dislike it so much, just don't eat it. No one is forcing it on to you.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayDiva View Post
Going back to the question "why is Filipino food so lacklustre?", again, "lacklustre" is subjective. If you dislike it so much and are convinced about its disgusting flavors and textures, then I am curious as to why you

I think many have attempted to explain the history of Filipino cuisine (and history) to you and you seem to refuse everything presented.

If you dislike it so much, just don't eat it. No one is forcing it on to you.
I've tried it a few times, but even visually it just doesn't really look appealing...

Old 02-20-2014, 09:41 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post

In the US, most Filipinos there are just craving for something that reminds them of home rather than some gourmet food. Also, a lot of the better Filipino dishes need an open pit charcoal barbecue. Even with the SF Bay Area's large Filipino population, there is only one good lechon place that my friends vouch for and it's in Suisun City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or