U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-22-2014, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times
Reputation: 2833

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Having Filipino family members, I disagree with your statement wholeheartedly. I have had several Filipino dishes and they were all very good. Perhaps the ones you tried were made by bad cooks.

Now, if your post was describing authentic Chinese food, I would agree 100%. I have tried it a few times and have never been impressed. A Chinese co-worker raved about one specific restaurant and asked us to try it. We all chipped in and got 10 different dishes. All of them were bland, heavy on organ meats and very similar in taste. Needless to say, there were a lot of leftovers. Give me chop suey, soo gai and chicken balls over that crap any day!
China is such a diverse place with diverse cuisines. There is a lot I don't like, a lot I like...not a fan on dishes that are heavy on organ meat or fungi, but love say spicy Sichuan cuisine or the Uyghur cuisine. For instance there are Chinese kebabs/ burgers in Xian and points west too.

 
Old 02-22-2014, 11:11 AM
 
163 posts, read 198,888 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
China is such a diverse place with diverse cuisines. There is a lot I don't like, a lot I like...not a fan on dishes that are heavy on organ meat or fungi, but love say spicy Sichuan cuisine or the Uyghur cuisine. For instance there are Chinese kebabs/ burgers in Xian and points west too.
Based on this answer and how you are "defending" a cuisine that is viewed as "lacklustre" by another person, you just seem to want to "bash" Filipino cuisine and find an answer that is to you liking. People have given explanations similar to the one I've highlighted in bold letters above and yet you refuse to accept it. Repeatedly. I truly don't know what you want to hear? Perhaps this would satisfy you?

-Filipino food is lackluster because it is a reflection of the people and their culture; it is unsophisiticated and barbaric.

-Filipino food is lackluster and they are poor and they only eat fermented food or ones that are ridden with salt and vinegar to preserve it because they do not have refrigerators in their nipa huts and shaties.

-Filipino foods are lackluster because they have not learned to cook in stainless steel and or copper core pots - - SHAME!!!! They still cook in clay pots and have no knowledge of mise en place!!! Such travesty!!!!!!!

-No one wanted to trade spices with the Filipinos hence their food sucks and their stuck grilling their local fish


And to say "Leche Flan" is not Filipino because it was brought to the country by its colonizers - - That is skewed logic? What part of Philippine history don't you understand?! Filipino culture is mishmash of all it's colonizers - - I don't understand why you can't get that? If we all follow that logic then English can't be the "official" language of the United States or Australia because it was brought to to those countries by the British? If that's the case then there is no Filipino food because most Filipino food can trace it's origins to another culture, just adapted using local ingredients and conditions...

Then this discussion is done. Filipino food is lackluster because it doesn't exist.
 
Old 02-22-2014, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Poshawa, Ontario
2,986 posts, read 3,319,495 times
Reputation: 5622
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
China is such a diverse place with diverse cuisines. There is a lot I don't like, a lot I like...not a fan on dishes that are heavy on organ meat or fungi, but love say spicy Sichuan cuisine or the Uyghur cuisine. For instance there are Chinese kebabs/ burgers in Xian and points west too.
I personally find authentic Chinese food the most uninspiring out of all Asian cuisine. Hakka Chinese is OK, but I still prefer "American" Chinese over any other kind I have tried. Overall, the "authentic Chinese" I tried has been a real turn-off for me. YMMV.
 
Old 02-22-2014, 11:20 AM
 
2,736 posts, read 3,268,188 times
Reputation: 4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Maybe because Spanish food sucks too (it's bland). I'm Filipino and I don't like our food. The only things I like are lumpia and adobo.
I'm NOT Filipino, and I love the food! (Read my status in the upper left corner.)

Can't get enough kare-kare with lots of BAGOONG, pinakbet, pusit, sinigang, arroz caldo, etc.

For some it might be an acquired taste. But my palatte quickly adapted with just a few bites.

BTW, Spanish food does not suck! Neither does Filipino food!

 
Old 02-22-2014, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,847,456 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I'm NOT Filipino, and I love the food! (Read my status in the upper left corner.)

Can't get enough kare-kare with lots of BAGOONG, pinakbet, pusit, sinigang, arroz caldo, etc.

For some it might be an acquired taste. But my palatte quickly adapted with just a few bites.

BTW, Spanish food does not suck! Neither does Filipino food!

I love Spanish stews ( very flavourful ) and authentic Spanish Paella.
I also love Spanish trout with bacon
 
Old 02-22-2014, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,847,456 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Having Filipino family members, I disagree with your statement wholeheartedly. I have had several Filipino dishes and they were all very good. Perhaps the ones you tried were made by bad cooks.

Now, if your post was describing authentic Chinese food, I would agree 100%. I have tried it a few times and have never been impressed. A Chinese co-worker raved about one specific restaurant and asked us to try it. We all chipped in and got 10 different dishes. All of them were bland, heavy on organ meats and very similar in taste. Needless to say, there were a lot of leftovers. Give me chop suey, soo gai and chicken balls over that crap any day!

I agree about the food being very similar in taste as they always use the same, usual seasoning ( Oyster sauce, hoissin sauce, soysauce and sesame oil ) which get tiring after awhile.
 
Old 02-22-2014, 05:22 PM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I talk about Singapore a lot but I don't claim to represent it...it's because of my family connections. I'm still Australian.

Well if you know anything about Hainanese chicken rice, it's called that because it was invented by Hainanese chefs in SINGAPORE.
Do you even have conclusive proof that Hainanese chicken rice was INVENTED in SINGAPORE? Where and by whom? So what if rice was flavored by some broth? How do you know that people who eat Wenchang (which is just a town in Hainan) chicken do not flavor their rice as well? And you think if it's the cook who put the broth to the rice qualifies as "invention" versus the diner being served some soup and putting the flavor themselves, how do you exactly know that this FIRST happened in SINGAPORE? For all I care, it probably started in Malaysia as a convenient way for cooks to flavor more rice and for people to easily carry their lunch.

Anyway, I generally accept it as Singaporean because the people in Singapore adopted it as their own. I am not like you who insist that something that is served in all important celebrations, something that is consumed in the largest quantity per capita in the world, something that has been traditional for hundreds of years cannot qualify to represent that country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well I'm more referring to people's opinions, which are generally negative...maybe there is good Filipino cuisine, but it seems to depend more on the cook, Anthony Bourdain seemed to like some of the stuff he had, but in general, I'm asking why it hasn't gained popularity and seems lacklustre.

I still said I'd try, but it just doesn't really jump out at me to try it.
You have repeatedly said that from the start of this thread. Nothing has changed despite people already had several explanations here. Without even disputing that some people really do not find Filipino food to their liking. And yes, of course it depends on the cook, which cuisine does not??? But the way you portray yourself here is like you are an expert on Filipino food when you already had how many Filipino meals outside of the Philippines? Anything bad is attributed to Filipino food, and when people say that even something like British food is bland (which is a very well-accepted fact for most people), then it became the diner's palate's fault?

No, the next time you comment like you know something about Filipino food, you should qualify by having visited the Philippines. I know you are one who convinces people to go to Singapore and Malaysia even if their desires do not match, but based on what you type here, your prejudice and emotional baggage against the Philippines is showing, I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU TO GO TO THE PHILIPPINES AT ALL.
 
Old 02-22-2014, 05:32 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,271,356 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Do you even have conclusive proof that Hainanese chicken rice was INVENTED in SINGAPORE? Where and by whom? So what if rice was flavored by some broth? How do you know that people who eat Wenchang (which is just a town in Hainan) chicken do not flavor their rice as well? And you think if it's the cook who put the broth to the rice qualifies as "invention" versus the diner being served some soup and putting the flavor themselves, how do you exactly know that this FIRST happened in SINGAPORE? For all I care, it probably started in Malaysia as a convenient way for cooks to flavor more rice and for people to easily carry their lunch.

Anyway, I generally accept it as Singaporean because the people in Singapore adopted it as their own. I am not like you who insist that something that is served in all important celebrations, something that is consumed in the largest quantity per capita in the world, something that has been traditional for hundreds of years cannot qualify to represent that country.



You have repeatedly said that from the start of this thread. Nothing has changed despite people already had several explanations here. Without even disputing that some people really do not find Filipino food to their liking. And yes, of course it depends on the cook, which cuisine does not??? But the way you portray yourself here is like you are an expert on Filipino food when you already had how many Filipino meals outside of the Philippines? Anything bad is attributed to Filipino food, and when people say that even something like British food is bland (which is a very well-accepted fact for most people), then it became the diner's palate's fault?

No, the next time you comment like you know something about Filipino food, you should qualify by having visited the Philippines. I know you are one who convinces people to go to Singapore and Malaysia even if their desires do not match, but based on what you type here, your prejudice and emotional baggage against the Philippines is showing, I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU TO GO TO THE PHILIPPINES AT ALL.
Cool down golden tiger.. No need to get so agitated.
 
Old 02-22-2014, 06:03 PM
 
6,993 posts, read 9,535,510 times
Reputation: 2957
People who call Filipino food lackluster are those whose travels to civilized countries are limited to the tourist spots like Times Square and Champs Elysees. In contrast, the well-read traveller who can think like the locals know where to find good Filipino food. There are good Filipino restaurants in Paris and Rome. Anthony Bourdain knows better and it's no surprise he has a preference for Pampangueno cuisine.
 
Old 02-22-2014, 11:59 PM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Cool down golden tiger.. No need to get so agitated.
Instead of addressing me, maybe you should address the OP or try to help us resolve what makes Hainanese Chicken Rice Singaporean?

The OP asked a question and a lot of us tried to answer his question with the best of intentions. But after the discussion, it became evident that the OP is rejecting anything positive there is to say about Filipino food, to the extent of cherry picking so he can portray Filipino food in the worst possible light and insinuating that everyone from the Philippines or whoever likes Filipino food has an inferior palate versus his superior palate which flatly does not agree with Filipino food. I do not know what to make of it but it is clear that the OP has double standards. I am not the only person to notice this anyway. Maybe he should not have asked the question when he is rejecting the answers based on prejudice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top