U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-23-2014, 12:25 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,266,372 times
Reputation: 2833

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Do you even have conclusive proof that Hainanese chicken rice was INVENTED in SINGAPORE? Where and by whom? So what if rice was flavored by some broth? How do you know that people who eat Wenchang (which is just a town in Hainan) chicken do not flavor their rice as well? And you think if it's the cook who put the broth to the rice qualifies as "invention" versus the diner being served some soup and putting the flavor themselves, how do you exactly know that this FIRST happened in SINGAPORE? For all I care, it probably started in Malaysia as a convenient way for cooks to flavor more rice and for people to easily carry their lunch.

Anyway, I generally accept it as Singaporean because the people in Singapore adopted it as their own. I am not like you who insist that something that is served in all important celebrations, something that is consumed in the largest quantity per capita in the world, something that has been traditional for hundreds of years cannot qualify to represent that country.



You have repeatedly said that from the start of this thread. Nothing has changed despite people already had several explanations here. Without even disputing that some people really do not find Filipino food to their liking. And yes, of course it depends on the cook, which cuisine does not??? But the way you portray yourself here is like you are an expert on Filipino food when you already had how many Filipino meals outside of the Philippines? Anything bad is attributed to Filipino food, and when people say that even something like British food is bland (which is a very well-accepted fact for most people), then it became the diner's palate's fault?

No, the next time you comment like you know something about Filipino food, you should qualify by having visited the Philippines. I know you are one who convinces people to go to Singapore and Malaysia even if their desires do not match, but based on what you type here, your prejudice and emotional baggage against the Philippines is showing, I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU TO GO TO THE PHILIPPINES AT ALL.

I'm no expert on chicken rice but that is what I've read...but I've read different things, no one knows for sure. Either way, like you say it's a very Singaporean and Malaysian thing. There are many others, like laksa, which are indisputably Malaysian-Singaporean: nothing like it exists in China or India or elsewhere (although similar in Thailand). Sure the Phils have a lot of indigenous dishes, but I'm sorry, pit roasted or BBQ roasted pig, whatever you call it, is just so commonly eaten in many places I'd hardly consider it uniquely or characteristically Filipino.

I don't portray myself as an expert. I began asking a genuine question...yes, it might've sound like I was out to bash Filipino cuisine, but i was genuinely curious. Some did provide some good answers though. I'm more reflecting other peoples' opinions. I guess I can understand you want to defend your country and all that.

Don't worry, while I do want to visit it's not high on my list right now. So I won't be gracing your fair country with my ignorance any time soon, probably. I'm not keen on Manila at all but might check some of the nicer tropical islands...while I'll try the local food as I always do, it is not a primary reason for visiting.

 
Old 02-23-2014, 12:26 AM
 
201 posts, read 265,338 times
Reputation: 69
At the end of the day, I don't think Filipinos really care what non-Filipinos think about their national cuisine. After all, Filipino food was made by Filipinos...for Filipinos!

/thread
 
Old 02-23-2014, 12:32 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,266,372 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
At the end of the day, I don't think Filipinos really care what non-Filipinos think about their national cuisine. After all, Filipino food was made by Filipinos...for Filipinos!

/thread
Yeah, seems to be the case, because in general only Filipinos seem interested in it much. Despite the fact we have few Japanese living here there's a plethora of Japanese restaurants.
 
Old 02-23-2014, 12:48 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,971,190 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm no expert on chicken rice but that is what I've read...but I've read different things, no one knows for sure. Either way, like you say it's a very Singaporean and Malaysian thing. There are many others, like laksa, which are indisputably Malaysian-Singaporean: nothing like it exists in China or India or elsewhere (although similar in Thailand). Sure the Phils have a lot of indigenous dishes, but I'm sorry, pit roasted or BBQ roasted pig, whatever you call it, is just so commonly eaten in many places I'd hardly consider it uniquely or characteristically Filipino.

I don't portray myself as an expert. I began asking a genuine question...yes, it might've sound like I was out to bash Filipino cuisine, but i was genuinely curious. Some did provide some good answers though. I'm more reflecting other peoples' opinions. I guess I can understand you want to defend your country and all that.

Don't worry, while I do want to visit it's not high on my list right now. So I won't be gracing your fair country with my ignorance any time soon, probably. I'm not keen on Manila at all but might check some of the nicer tropical islands...while I'll try the local food as I always do, it is not a primary reason for visiting.
How many filipino dishes that you know and tried?
 
Old 02-23-2014, 12:56 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,266,372 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
How many filipino dishes that you know and tried?
One was a pork belly in a dark black sauce that was really salty and vinegary...it was okay in small amounts, but the main flavour was just the saltiness...and Jollibee. Oh I also had um, another dish also with pork, rice and a fried egg.

This is more what I've heard from others though and my observation that you hardly find Filipino food here despite, to my surprise, knowing there are more Filipinos who have settled here than Thais.
 
Old 02-23-2014, 05:04 AM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,672,208 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm no expert on chicken rice but that is what I've read...but I've read different things, no one knows for sure. Either way, like you say it's a very Singaporean and Malaysian thing. There are many others, like laksa, which are indisputably Malaysian-Singaporean: nothing like it exists in China or India or elsewhere (although similar in Thailand). Sure the Phils have a lot of indigenous dishes, but I'm sorry, pit roasted or BBQ roasted pig, whatever you call it, is just so commonly eaten in many places I'd hardly consider it uniquely or characteristically Filipino.

I don't portray myself as an expert. I began asking a genuine question...yes, it might've sound like I was out to bash Filipino cuisine, but i was genuinely curious. Some did provide some good answers though. I'm more reflecting other peoples' opinions. I guess I can understand you want to defend your country and all that.

Don't worry, while I do want to visit it's not high on my list right now. So I won't be gracing your fair country with my ignorance any time soon, probably. I'm not keen on Manila at all but might check some of the nicer tropical islands...while I'll try the local food as I always do, it is not a primary reason for visiting.
I don't give a damn if anyone visits the Philippines or likes Filipino food. I just think if people have a superiority complex over that country then they better not go.

You are genuinely interested? What makes you declare chicken rice as very Malaysian or Singaporean? And what makes the rest of us here not able to declare lechon as very Filipino? Chicken rice is not unique to either Malaysia or Singapore. Since when do we need for a dish to be found nowhere else to be part of an identity? In that sense, we can say Singaporean cuisine is non existent because all dishes can be found in Malaysia and Indonesia? Laksa is just noodle soup, so how different should it be from other noodle soup to be "unique"?

The point here is we try to answer your question but cannot because everyone who knows anything about Filipino food will consider lechon to be Filipino food first before they will ever say that Jollibee sells something uniquely Filipino! Should we discuss things like roasted scorpions to represent Chinese food now as those stuff are the most unique?
 
Old 02-23-2014, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,971,190 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
One was a pork belly in a dark black sauce that was really salty and vinegary...it was okay in small amounts, but the main flavour was just the saltiness...and Jollibee. Oh I also had um, another dish also with pork, rice and a fried egg.

This is more what I've heard from others though and my observation that you hardly find Filipino food here despite, to my surprise, knowing there are more Filipinos who have settled here than Thais.
I think you were referring to 'Dinuguan' or Chocolate meat (Pig's blood), we have variety of dinuguan like in Kamias or Sampaloc (Young Tamarind Leaves) not just vinegar have you tried those? We have so many different dishes that you never tried yet to based that Filipino food is bad. Actually, there are few Filipino food restaurant outside the Philippines is because we're lack on promoting it outside and not because our food is bad at all. But instead of promoting the other food of the Philippines, Some Filipinos wanted the tourist to try the street food or Balut, dinuguan etc. but we have thousand of dishes to offer that most never tasted yet to judge our food.
 
Old 02-23-2014, 06:24 AM
 
1,099 posts, read 1,672,208 times
Reputation: 971
I don't think it was that exotic. My best guess is the OP had adobo, Jollibee and tosilog. The adobo prepared by a really bad cook with an overdose of soy sauce and vinegar. Anyway, those are really common everyday food and are among the most sought after by overseas Filipinos for being their comfort foods. Food for special occasions like lechon, kare-kare, etc. are a rarer outside the Philippines due to either lack of suitable ingredients or the length of time to prepare. Anyway, why there aren't that many Filipino restaurants overseas, a lot of the migrants are there to work or have non-Filipino spouses, they are not exactly concentrated in one particular area. Besides, Filipinos adapt quickly and even in the Philippines, the number of Filipino restaurants vs that of other cuisines are far less than other countries' native restaurants already. I estimate the number of Filipino restaurants to be around 20 to 30% only in the Philippines. So Filipinos are very used to eating other cuisines and can do pretty fine eating some comfort foods for nostalgic reasons once in a while.
 
Old 02-23-2014, 06:31 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,011,649 times
Reputation: 1798
dark black sauce sounds like dinuguan to me. I used to love eating it was I was a kid, then I found out what it was... But it's not uniquely bizarre because there are some European dishes that have pig's blood. It's just that people think it's primitive and weird when Filipinos do it.
 
Old 02-23-2014, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,971,190 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
dark black sauce sounds like dinuguan to me. I used to love eating it was I was a kid, then I found out what it was... But it's not uniquely bizarre because there are some European dishes that have pig's blood. It's just that people think it's primitive and weird when Filipinos do it.
I guess maybe those who do not eat pigs blood felt it's weird and gross lol It is actually one of my favorite specially with rice cake (pu*to)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top