U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 07:13 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times

Advertisements

Dinuguan is not bad but I do not like the idea of tricking anyone to eat it without letting them know what it is.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:35 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,847,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I think you were referring to 'Dinuguan' or Chocolate meat (Pig's blood), we have variety of dinuguan like in Kamias or Sampaloc (Young Tamarind Leaves) not just vinegar have you tried those? We have so many different dishes that you never tried yet to based that Filipino food is bad. Actually, there are few Filipino food restaurant outside the Philippines is because we're lack on promoting it outside and not because our food is bad at all. But instead of promoting the other food of the Philippines, Some Filipinos wanted the tourist to try the street food or Balut, dinuguan etc. but we have thousand of dishes to offer that most never tasted yet to judge our food.
I think he's talking about Adobo. Adobo has dark sauce too because of the soy sauce and vinegary of course.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:42 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,847,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
dark black sauce sounds like dinuguan to me. I used to love eating it was I was a kid, then I found out what it was... But it's not uniquely bizarre because there are some European dishes that have pig's blood. It's just that people think it's primitive and weird when Filipinos do it.
Portugal also has dishes with blood ( Frango Cabidela and one with rabbit's blood ).

Old 02-23-2014, 08:31 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,965,031 times
2 of my favorite Filipino dish

Pininyahang Manok (Pineapple Chicken)

Chicken Sopas is one of my favorite soup aside from Arroz Caldo and Goto

^I like it with Citrus Kalamansi (Yes, Filipino taste like Sour)

Old 02-23-2014, 09:16 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I don't give a damn if anyone visits the Philippines or likes Filipino food. I just think if people have a superiority complex over that country then they better not go.

You are genuinely interested? What makes you declare chicken rice as very Malaysian or Singaporean? And what makes the rest of us here not able to declare lechon as very Filipino? Chicken rice is not unique to either Malaysia or Singapore. Since when do we need for a dish to be found nowhere else to be part of an identity? In that sense, we can say Singaporean cuisine is non existent because all dishes can be found in Malaysia and Indonesia? Laksa is just noodle soup, so how different should it be from other noodle soup to be "unique"?

The point here is we try to answer your question but cannot because everyone who knows anything about Filipino food will consider lechon to be Filipino food first before they will ever say that Jollibee sells something uniquely Filipino! Should we discuss things like roasted scorpions to represent Chinese food now as those stuff are the most unique?
Ok if u wanna claim it so bad, no skin off my nose. Just my opinion.

Yes Hainanese chicken rice is unique to Singapore and Malaysia. There are similar dishes, but not the same. Chicken-flavoured rice is unique and a pretty big invention. How is Lechon unique to the Philippines? The type of pig?

Well yeah, Singapore was part of Malaysia until 1965 so yeah of course they're more like one cuisine. Singapore is a city anyway.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:02 AM

6,993 posts, read 9,535,510 times
As with any cuisine of high caliber, ingredients matter. Top chefs use berkshire pork and heritage chickens for a reason.

So the short answer to the ignorant is yes, the type of pig matters. Making good lechon out of adult pigs is unique to the Philippines. The best lechon houses in Manila, Cebu and Laoag scour the countryside to corner these pigs grown in rural backyards. They are not raised in commercial piggeries.

Spain and the elite in China use piglets to achive the same quality. But obviously piglets cannot feed a lot of people.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:59 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
Based on the OP's double standards, he has not really had Filipino food. Jollibee is American, adobo and tocino have Spanish names. Cannot claim as Filipino food as they are not uniquely and characteristically Filipino. Even balut has similar versions in Vietnam and dinuguan has similarities with some Chinese and European cuisine. Only Singapore is allowed to claim anything that is also found in other countries. Even rellenong bangus has part of its name in Spanish so which exotic dishes are left to discuss now?

Old 02-23-2014, 03:08 PM

6,993 posts, read 9,535,510 times
Never mind also that that prior to colonialization, many of these southeast Asian communities were inter-related, shared common cultures and even had nobility that were occasionally blood relatives.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:59 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,235,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Based on the OP's double standards, he has not really had Filipino food. Jollibee is American, adobo and tocino have Spanish names. Cannot claim as Filipino food as they are not uniquely and characteristically Filipino. Even balut has similar versions in Vietnam and dinuguan has similarities with some Chinese and European cuisine. Only Singapore is allowed to claim anything that is also found in other countries. Even rellenong bangus has part of its name in Spanish so which exotic dishes are left to discuss now?
Hainanese chicken rice is a Singapore thing...your pig is certainly not uniquely Filipino at all, it's a better known part of Hawaiian cuisine for instance if anything.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:01 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,271,356 times
I see another argument between Postman and Golden Tiger coming ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or