U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Reputation: 2833

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I see another argument between Postman and Golden Tiger coming ...
It's been happening for quite awhile now lol...

 
Old 02-23-2014, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,966,892 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Hainanese chicken rice is a Singapore thing...your pig is certainly not uniquely Filipino at all, it's a better known part of Hawaiian cuisine for instance if anything.
It's a Filipino. This cuisines are also part of other countries so they have their own versions of it and we have our own specially all Hispanic colonies, Lots of Singaporean food are also from other countries and had the same type of dishes but different versions. Same as spring rolls, noodles etc.
 
Old 02-23-2014, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
It's a Filipino. This cuisines are also part of other countries so they have their own versions of it and we have our own specially all Hispanic colonies, Lots of Singaporean food are also from other countries and had the same type of dishes but different versions. Same as spring rolls, noodles etc.
Yes, that's true, although there are many things which are uniquely Singaporean. I'm sure there are unique Filipino things.
 
Old 02-23-2014, 08:30 PM
 
163 posts, read 199,037 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Hainanese chicken rice is a Singapore thing...your pig is certainly not uniquely Filipino at all, it's a better known part of Hawaiian cuisine for instance if anything.
Since you claim "lechon" is not Filipino, please, share your expertise to everyone here and tell US what Filipino food is. Apparently, all the "good stuff" loved by a good share of non Filipinos are "not Filipino" e.g: Lechon, Leche Flan, Pancit, Lumpia, etc...Please, share your expertise.

You are not making any sense since you are basing the disgusting nature of Filipino food on JOLLIBEE. Wait! Jollibee serves HAMBURGERS, FRIED CHICKEN - - it's a fast food chain - - a VERY AMERICAN CONCEPT. Based on your infallible logic that "anything brought to the country by another cannot be claimed by the country" then JOLLIBEE IS AMERICAN.
 
Old 02-23-2014, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayDiva View Post
Since you claim "lechon" is not Filipino, please, share your expertise to everyone here and tell US what Filipino food is. Apparently, all the "good stuff" loved by a good share of non Filipinos are "not Filipino" e.g: Lechon, Leche Flan, Pancit, Lumpia, etc...Please, share your expertise.

You are not making any sense since you are basing the disgusting nature of Filipino food on JOLLIBEE. Wait! Jollibee serves HAMBURGERS, FRIED CHICKEN - - it's a fast food chain - - a VERY AMERICAN CONCEPT. Based on your infallible logic that "anything brought to the country by another cannot be claimed by the country" then JOLLIBEE IS AMERICAN.
Yes, Jollibee isn't Filipino food, really, well aside from a few things on their menu.

Oh I don't know much about pinoy food, just heard it wasn't very good. Maybe lacklustre is still the best term. Sure it depends on the cook and ingredients, but it just seem the cuisine isn't as highly regarded as other Asian cuisines.
 
Old 02-23-2014, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,850,272 times
Reputation: 796
So what if it is not highly regarded as other Asian cuisines ??? There are so many cuisines in this world that are not highly regarded as well ( Croatian, Bulgarian, Romanian, Puerto Rican etc. etc ) so does it really matter ??? Some countries are just not as famous as the others including cuisines. Not all Asian cuisines are good... For me, I only like Turkish, Indian and Malaysian.


Lechón is a pork dish in several regions of the world, most specifically Spain and its former colonial possessions throughout the world. The word lechón originated from the Spanish term lechón; that refers to a suckling pig that is roasted. Lechón is a popular food in the Philippines, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Canada, the Dominican Republic, other Spanish-speaking nations in Latin America, and Spain. The dish features a whole roasted pig cooked over charcoal. Additionally, it is a national dish of the Philippines with Cebu being acknowledged by American chef, Anthony Bourdain as having the best pig.

In the Philippines, the swine industry contributes second in the agricultural sector being almost completely without subsidy.The reason for this can be attributed to it being the favorite of the locals, and tourists, with a consumption rate that is continuously increasing. One such example would be that in Cebu alone an estimate of 65,000 lechón is produced for the month of Dec 2010.



Commonly served in Filipino tables every Noche Buena ( Christmas Dinner ), Ano Nuevo ( New Year ), birthdays and fiestas



http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lechon

Last edited by Hermosaa; 02-23-2014 at 09:17 PM..
 
Old 02-23-2014, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
So what if it is not highly regarded as other Asian cuisines ??? There are so many cuisines in this world that are not highly regarded as well ( Croatian, Bulgarian, Romanian, Puerto Rican etc. etc ) so does it really matter ??? Some countries are just not as famous as the others including cuisines. Not all Asian cuisines are good... For me, I only like Turkish, Indian and Malaysian.
So you don't like your own pinoy food?
 
Old 02-23-2014, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,850,272 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
So you don't like your own pinoy food?
Aside from Filipino food, those are the ones I like
 
Old 02-23-2014, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Except for Filipino food, those are the ones I like
So you think Filipino is better than Thai, Vietnamese, some Chinese, Korean, Japanese?

Well I guess some people buck the trend.
 
Old 02-23-2014, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Reputation: 2833
^ Roasting a pig is done in many countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top