U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 11:06 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
^ Roasting a pig is done in many countries.
The in-thing now in the Philippines is to roast only just the pork belly as that is the most desirable part, so it's no longer the same as that of other countries. So it now qualifies as Filipino food?

Seriously, are you genuinely interested in good Filipino food? Or did you start this thread to find out what other yucky Filipino stuff you can find?

Old 02-23-2014, 11:12 PM

163 posts, read 198,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
The in-thing now in the Philippines is to roast only just the pork belly as that is the most desirable part, so it's no longer the same as that of other countries. So it now qualifies as Filipino food?

Seriously, are you genuinely interested in good Filipino food? Or did you start this thread to find out what other yucky Filipino stuff you can find?
How many times should you be told that LECHON IS NOT FILIPINO!!!

Old 02-23-2014, 11:27 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Dogs are not popular in the Philippines. It is only eaten by " some " of the lowest class of men.
Likewise, only a small minority in China, Korea, Vietnam, Polynesia eat it.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:28 PM

I'm guess I'm talking more about the Filipino foods you can find at eateries and restaurant...surely there are others that are world class apart from lechon? How come not a single Filipino dish is well known globally, only balut for how disgusting the idea is?

Old 02-23-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Well when you eat balut don't you eat all the parts of the duck?

I'm surprised you eat balut since you seem kind of fussy.

Yeah I've still a bit hesitant about organ meats, which are also a common thing in many Asian cuisines including Filipino.

I would try a grasshopper or something...frogs, maybe wild rats, snake too...I've had crocodile and goanna, here in Australia, they really do taste just like a type of bird, a bit like turkey.

Chicken feet is a delicacy in China, Jamaica and parts of the Southern US actually. I think maybe the Phils too right? Philippines also eat dog, at least traditionally.
Yes, when you eat balut, you can eat the whole thing (of course except the shell). Surprisingly, the one that is tough and almost unpalatable is the egg white on the side (which looks just like normal boiled egg white but much much tougher and drier). Many people do not eat that part. Better get a "younger" balut too, as I don't like the feel of the feathers. Anyway, I generally don't like balut and haven't eaten one in ages.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:57 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,846,437 times
Quote:
Likewise, only a small minority in China, Korea, Vietnam, Polynesia eat it.
It is not even sold in the Philippines. In China, they sell it downtown of Shenzhen and there are also restaurants that serve dog dishes, it is not like that in the Philippines.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
It is not even sold in the Philippines. In China, they sell it downtown of Shenzhen and there are also restaurants that serve dog dishes, it is not like that in the Philippines.
Yes it might not be as visible but most Chinese do not eat it...and those that do usually for special occasions. I think maybe in the Phils it's more undercover.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I'm guess I'm talking more about the Filipino foods you can find at eateries and restaurant...surely there are others that are world class apart from lechon? How come not a single Filipino dish is well known globally, only balut for how disgusting the idea is?
I didn't realize they already have branches in Singapore. This is a Filipino restaurant chain: Gerry's Grill - Offers grilled seafood and Filipino favorites to exotic cuisine and tastefully prepared beer mates and pica-pica |
They also have an online menu. I am not exactly big on Filipino food, but I like the various sisig dishes, squid, baked scallops, baked mussels ("tahong" in the menu).

Old 02-24-2014, 12:08 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,846,437 times
Quote:
It is known because it is different !
Postman, why do you insist so much about the unpopularity of Filipino cuisine ? As I said before, there are so many cuisines that are not popular all over the world, after all, there are so many countries, not all countries can take the spot.
So what if it is not popular ? If our cuisine is not popular, there are other things we are popular for...Philippines is known for boxing.
Philippines is known for producing nurses, engineers and domestic helpers globally. So, enough about the unpopularity of Filipino cuisine because if those countries you always mention are popular for their cuisine, they are not popular in other things too.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
It is known because it is different !
Postman, why do you insist so much about the unpopularity of Filipino cuisine ? As I said before, there are so many cuisines that are not popular all over the world, after all, there are so many countries, not all countries can take the spot.
So what if it is not popular ? If our cuisine is not popular, there are other things we are popular for...Philippines is known for boxing.
Philippines is known for producing nurses, engineers and domestic helpers globally. So, enough about the unpopularity of Filipino cuisine because if those countries you always mention are popular for their cuisine, they are not popular in other things too.
Lol Singapore is more popular in almost every way than the Phils. Indeed, the GDP of Singapore is higher than your entire country! Last year Singapore was the second most visited city in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or