U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 01:57 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,848,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I dont think balot is the most well-known Filipino food. It's probably lumpia. It's something that i can mention by name and a lot of people will know what it is. I always have to explain what balot is, I can't just mention the name.
Lumpia is not really so known. But I know many foreigners who like it more than Chinese spring roll.
Balot got famous after being featured in MTV.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:58 AM

Quote:
yeah, but balot is also found in other countries, so if we can talk about balot, we can talk about lumpia. And lumpia isn't the exact same as other types of spring rolls.
Love Lumpia especially the one with minced pork and chopped carrots.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:01 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,000,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Lumpia is not really so known. But I know many foreigners who like it more than Chinese spring roll.
for Americans, I think it's more well-known that anything else. That's always the first food that Americans mention when they find out I'm Filipino. "Do you know how to cook lumpia?"

Old 02-24-2014, 02:03 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,965,755 times
Quote:
So do I. I also tried the other Non-Filipino Spring rolls, I like our Lumpia more, Lumpiang sariwa (Fresh Lumpia), Lumpiang Shanghai and the vegetable Lumpia for me is all great

Old 02-24-2014, 02:07 AM

Lumpia seems to be the most popular food at Filipino parties in the US, but when I go to the Philippines I notice that they don't eat it as often.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Lumpia seems to be the most popular food at Filipino parties in the US, but when I go to the Philippines I notice that they don't eat it as often.
Yes it is common in Filipino gatherings outside the Philippines. Maybe Filipinos just miss it more and also it is good in parties because Lumpia rolls are hors d'oeuvres .
I don't make lumpia because I don't know how to do it using Chinese wrapper ( their wrapper is hard and dry ).

Old 02-24-2014, 03:19 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,238,353 times
Quote:
You seem to have so much insecurity Postman.
You like so much to compete and put Singapore on top.
I was talking about what the Philippines is popular for and it is for producing nurses, engineers and domestic helpers all over the world including your beloved Singapore.
I like Singapore as it is clean and people are cultured but frankly speaking, I don't understand why it would be a tourist destination when it doesn't really have anything much to offer.
Well I was just responding to you when you said Singapore must not have anything much else to offer.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,238,353 times
I've never heard of 'lumpia.' The only Filipino food I could really name by name was balut, to be honest. I think if you ask most people about Filipino food they'll give you a blank stare, most would have never even tried it before.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:34 AM

^ Well yeah, most people dont know any Filipino food, but from my experience, lumpia is the first thing that comes to mind.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:01 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,145,319 times
Quote:
yeah, but balot is also found in other countries, so if we can talk about balot, we can talk about lumpia. And lumpia isn't the exact same as other types of spring rolls.
Ohhh so its not considered Chinese in Philippines? in here we associate it with Chinese, but in Philippines of course you used pork and from wiki they nuts, coconut and green peas which we generally don't mix it with lumpia. Here chicken and prawn is very common and also lots of bamboo shots.

Lumpia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or