U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2014, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Duluth, Minnesota, USA
7,653 posts, read 15,367,619 times
Reputation: 6670

Advertisements

The only time I have ever had Filipino food was at a restaurant in Winnipeg. It was REALLY good - I have fried lumpia and chicken mami soup, and my partner-in-travel had pancit. We both loved what we ordered, as well as the vinegar-ish sauce they have.

 
Old 02-03-2014, 04:40 PM
 
353 posts, read 552,799 times
Reputation: 340
I have seen several articles that Filipino food will be the next "hot" cuisine that becomes popular in the US. They say it is already quite popular in New York City.
 
Old 02-03-2014, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,288,926 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I saw one restaurant who offer Halo-Halo here in Perth City, Australia. People actually look at what I am carrying and it seems they wanted to ask me where I bought it. I haven't seen a Filipino restaurant yet. I just saw it from the food court and then they offer different international food items and then saw Philippines best halo-halo on the list. Actually, there are some Filipino food that we can offer and it's just lack of promotion.




One of my favorite dessert. I tried the Yema too aside from Leche flan as one of the alternative ingredients and it's yummy too.
Where did you find it?

There's a place at Spencer Village, Thornlie, and another in Gosnells. I think I recall seeing one somewhere north of the river. You know I don't think there's even one in the city...

You should try cendol with ice cream, it's similar...
 
Old 02-03-2014, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,288,926 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I think Postman didn't like the Halo Halo he tried .
TBH I've never eaten it, I think they had it at Jollibee but I didn't have it, I would like to try the authentic one...I can probably find it in Singapore, but we already have our cendol.
 
Old 02-03-2014, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,288,926 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
At least your food is better than Indian or Bangladeshi
You're kidding right?
 
Old 02-03-2014, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,288,926 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I saw one restaurant who offer Halo-Halo here in Perth City, Australia. People actually look at what I am carrying and it seems they wanted to ask me where I bought it. I haven't seen a Filipino restaurant yet. I just saw it from the food court and then they offer different international food items and then saw Philippines best halo-halo on the list. Actually, there are some Filipino food that we can offer and it's just lack of promotion.




One of my favorite dessert. I tried the Yema too aside from Leche flan as one of the alternative ingredients and it's yummy too.
Is the white stuff coconut milk?

I assume that the purple is ube/taro ice cream, looks like there's jelly too.
 
Old 02-03-2014, 06:34 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, California
1,953 posts, read 5,218,638 times
Reputation: 2294
Filipino food to me is kind of like asian "soul food" lots of stews, inards, fried fish, and dishes like "sisig" made from pig's head, grilled chicken intestine "isang"

I like the meat on a stick kebobs with some garlic rice

the salty garlic & vinegar taste might take some getting use to for people that never tried it, some of it is an aquired taste, like the bagoong or balut but Im already used to eating most those types of foods, it's more like a variation of a lot of the foods I like to eat

the pancit lo mein is like the Filipino version of chow mein but they use thick noodles

a lot of the food is adapted to their style from other cuisines with slight modifications, the egg rolls might have sweet potato inside or lumpia

Last edited by mr bolo; 02-03-2014 at 06:46 PM..
 
Old 02-03-2014, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,288,926 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
I have seen several articles that Filipino food will be the next "hot" cuisine that becomes popular in the US. They say it is already quite popular in New York City.
I had Dominican food in NYC. My mum said it reminded her of Filipino food, she's been there. To me it also looks like a lot of the food you see at Filipino joints in Singapore.
 
Old 02-03-2014, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,288,926 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
Filipino food to me is kind of like asian "soul food" lots of stews, inards, fried fish, and dishes like "sisig" made from pig's head, grilled chicken intestine "isang"

I like the meat on a stick kebobs with some garlic rice

the salty garlic & vinegar taste might take some getting use to for people that never tried it, some of it is an aquired taste, like the bagoong or balut but Im already used to eating most those types of foods, it's more like a variation of a lot of the foods I like to eat

I pretty much like any salty foods to go with rice
In some ways Filipino food seems to share in common with some types of Chinese cuisine, not having the variety of spices, herbs as SEA food (although they are certainly used), and being more based on simply seasonings like soy sauce, hoisin/oyster sauce, pepper, garlic, maybe a bit of chilli, shallots, spring onion...In a sense it's pretty unique in SEA, but I dunno if in an entirely good way...Maybe the comparative lack of Indian influence, with the spices, compared to Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand is a reason too.

Vietnamese is probably the odd one out in SEA too, being more Chinese, but it's still good and flavoursome...
 
Old 02-03-2014, 06:39 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,533 posts, read 1,277,811 times
Reputation: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Where did you find it?



You should try cendol with ice cream, it's similar...
Chendol with ice-cream ?? Dun see it here in Sg...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top