U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 07:20 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,146,089 times

Advertisements

The Arabs descendant might felt their affliation to Middle East, there are large number of them in Aceh and Medan.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 08:16 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,357,013 times
Most of the Pakistanis I knew via my ex-wife felt much more in common with Indians than Middle Easterners, the latter of whom there was often some sense of superiority and even a mild degree of disrespect towards.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Most of the Pakistanis I knew via my ex-wife felt much more in common with Indians than Middle Easterners, the latter of whom there was often some sense of superiority and even a mild degree of disrespect towards.
Well naturally, they were part of British India during partition, Pakistan was a created after partition (in a sense India too was a product of colonialism), so Pakistanis are more Indian in culture, language.etc. Urdu is very similar just written in Arabic characters which means little as far as the actual language is concerned.

Why disrespect? If anything it seems the other way around. Many poor South Asians go to the UAE to work, and the Emiratis, who tend to be richer, sometimes look down on poor Pakistanis and Indians.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:16 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,850,272 times
Malaysia has so many Middle Eastern people so there is for sure some affinity.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:17 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,357,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Why disrespect? If anything it seems the other way around. Many poor South Asians go to the UAE to work, and the Emiratis, who tend to be richer, sometimes look down on poor Pakistanis and Indians.
I think it's a two-way street; plenty of Pakistanis and Bangladeshis went or have family members who went to work in the UAE or Saudi Arabia and were mistreated one way or the other. The negative stereotypes that I heard of Arab men from her and her family usually hinged on sexual misconduct, or they perceived them as being poor Muslims by moral code but still thinking they were on the higher road when it came to faith.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:13 PM

3,274 posts, read 3,694,831 times
Okay, I'm not Muslim (and so this question doesn't even apply to me) but as an Indian I feel absolutely no affinity to the Middle East. I spent a decade living in a Middle Eastern country, enduring racism that you won't believe exists in this day and age.
It also has little to do with the economics of South Asians vs Arabs. Relatively speaking, the nicest (I use this term loosely) Middle Eastern Arabs I encountered were the extremely affluent ones. The poor ones were the most racist and hostile. I am from a middle-class family.

PS: when I refer to Middle East, I am referring only to the Persian Gulf countries. The ones from the Levant (Syria, Lebanon, Jordan) are much nicer people.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:24 PM

2,299 posts, read 3,397,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Okay, I'm not Muslim (and so this question doesn't even apply to me) but as an Indian I feel absolutely no affinity to the Middle East. I spent a decade living in a Middle Eastern country, enduring racism that you won't believe exists in this day and age.
It also has little to do with the economics of South Asians vs Arabs. Relatively speaking, the nicest (I use this term loosely) Middle Eastern Arabs I encountered were the extremely affluent ones. The poor ones were the most racist and hostile. I am from a middle-class family.

PS: when I refer to Middle East, I am referring only to the Persian Gulf countries. The ones from the Levant (Syria, Lebanon, Jordan) are much nicer people.
I've noticed this too. Egyptians, Lebanese, and Syrians are generally much friendlier than Gulf Arabs. There's something about oil money(easy wealth) that makes people rotten.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:34 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I think it's a two-way street; plenty of Pakistanis and Bangladeshis went or have family members who went to work in the UAE or Saudi Arabia and were mistreated one way or the other. The negative stereotypes that I heard of Arab men from her and her family usually hinged on sexual misconduct, or they perceived them as being poor Muslims by moral code but still thinking they were on the higher road when it came to faith.
Yes. But unfortunately, many Asians from other parts sort of look down on Indians.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:35 AM

4,520 posts, read 3,099,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes. But unfortunately, many Asians from other parts sort of look down on Indians.
That's because india has a weak Congress govt and crappy leadership since independence. They lost tibet to the PLA even when the Indian military at a better air force at the time. Congress party doesn't give a crap about security and their are no repercussions to islamic terrorists or naxals/maoists. They gave half of kashmir to pakistan. bangladeshis infilitrate the northeast like they are mexicans crossing the rio grande to el norte. When israelis get bombed, they don't take crap. They rape the Palestinians tenfold for every israeli killed. they never forget an injury. Meanwhile D-company still operates in Pakistan openly.

Also, a lot of indians don't care about their community or surruonding area. many just simply **** openly in the streets, spit, and litter. although this is somewhat changing thanks to change and better leadership and changing attitutes among the youth of the middle class.

Chinese have a saying, respect the strong, blackmail the weak.

Also, Asians are notoriously racist since the dawn of time. They hate dark skin. Dark skin means you're peasant working in the fields under the hot sun to asians.

Remember Hygiene and floss daily!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or