U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 02:12 PM

1,011 posts, read 627,651 times

Advertisements

All the entertainment you mentioned are only for westerners. Letterman? Are you kidding me? Shanghai has way more comedians than Letterman. TV shows in US are so boring, it is so boring that I cancelled mine, as I never watch any TV except CNN news or TNT sports program. China has more TV entertainment than US, of course, it is from a chinese perspective.

Movie scene? In SH, people can see all the hollywood movies in theatres. But hollywood is in decline these days in China. Dreamwork just opened a joint venture in Shanghai to produce more movies tailored to Chinese taste. Disney of course will open its theme park in Shanghai next year.

SH does not have broadway. But Chinese would rather watch BJ opera than silly Broadway shows.

Please be aware that entertainment is very culturally based. All the good entertainment in NYC does not mean much for Chinese, as good chinese entertainment will not be appreciated in the west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Does Shanghai have the entertainment options that NYC has? Does it have the vibrant theatre scene (broadway and off)? The tv show/movie scene (Letterman, Daily show, sitcoms, tons of new shows, etc.)? World-class museums? The music scene? That was the aspect of NYC i liked the most--just so much to do (and often free or very cheap which is another plus in such an expensive city)

In my opinion only London really competes with New York for entertainment options. Paris is close (better for museums, but less so on theatre and music and tv). Tokyo has some good options too (especially on the pop-culture front, it probably even beats NYC).

Shanghai seems cool, and like you said definitely excels in convenience and public transit and probably restaurants, but also like you said, this is common in Asia. I think exported culture and entertainment is where Tokyo shines, and I honestly do not know much about that aspect of Shanghai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 02:18 PM

1,011 posts, read 627,651 times
I lived abroad for more than 6 years. Never felt Japan has more cultural influence than China. HK is probably the most known Asian city for movies and pop cultures in Western world. Many people know Jacky Chen, Jet Li, Bruce Lee, etc.

Shanghai is catching up fast in this respect. Like I said, Dreamworks, Disney are rushing to Shanghai, and recently, one SH entertainment group just bought a huge stake in TVB (HK's only TV station).

Tokyo? never heard of it when it comes to entertainment

Quote:
Does Shanghai have the entertainment options that NYC has? Does it have the vibrant theatre scene (broadway and off)? The tv show/movie scene (Letterman, Daily show, sitcoms, tons of new shows, etc.)? World-class museums? The music scene? That was the aspect of NYC i liked the most--just so much to do (and often free or very cheap which is another plus in such an expensive city)

In my opinion only London really competes with New York for entertainment options. Paris is close (better for museums, but less so on theatre and music and tv). Tokyo has some good options too (especially on the pop-culture front, it probably even beats NYC).

Shanghai seems cool, and like you said definitely excels in convenience and public transit and probably restaurants, but also like you said, this is common in Asia. I think exported culture and entertainment is where Tokyo shines, and I honestly do not know much about that aspect of Shanghai.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:30 PM

501 posts, read 461,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
All the entertainment you mentioned are only for westerners.
What? Non-westerners don't go to museums? Listen to music? Watch TV? These options aren't only for westerners, the local variations might be different (like Beijing Opera vs. broadway musical or something) but obviously all cultures like to be entertained.

Quote:
Letterman? Are you kidding me? Shanghai has way more comedians than Letterman. TV shows in US are so boring, it is so boring that I cancelled mine, as I never watch any TV except CNN news or TNT sports program.
It's nice that you do not like to watch TV, but most of the rest of the world does. My question was not about your personal entertainment preferences, but more about access to those in Shanghai. In NYC it is quite easy to get tickets to go watch a tv show or something being filmed (although you might have to reserve them early). There are always free music performances in Times Square for the Good Morning America TV show or something. I am only asking what that is like in Shanghai.

Sport is another good question? What is the sports scene like in Shanghai? I know Yao Ming used to play for the Shanghai Sharks--do they have a big following? What other sports are popular there? (NYC has 2 basketball teams, 2 baseball teams, 3 hockey teams, 2 american football teams, 1 soccer team, a bunch of other minor league teams, etc.)

Quote:
Movie scene? In SH, people can see all the hollywood movies in theatres. But hollywood is in decline these days in China. Dreamwork just opened a joint venture in Shanghai to produce more movies tailored to Chinese taste. Disney of course will open its theme park in Shanghai next year.
I do not mean watching movies, everywhere has movie theatres :-) Or Internet :-) I meant being a part of the production or viewing the production (like i mentioned above, going to watch a tv show being made or a live Daily Show taping or something)

Quote:
Please be aware that entertainment is very culturally based. All the good entertainment in NYC does not mean much for Chinese, as good chinese entertainment will not be appreciated in the west.
I know that entertainment is very culture based. I wasn't asking if Shanghai had a better broadway musical scene than NYC, I was just simply asking what the cultural entertainment options are compared to NYC and listing NYC's offering as an example. I do not know much about Shanghai, I was hoping you could answer those questions and give me some examples rather than just getting defensive and shouting American culture/entertainment sucks!

Old 04-24-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I lived abroad for more than 6 years. Never felt Japan has more cultural influence than China. HK is probably the most known Asian city for movies and pop cultures in Western world. Many people know Jacky Chen, Jet Li, Bruce Lee, etc.
Yeah, HK movies and stars have been pretty successful world-wide and most people know all those guys you mentioned (although all those guys are pretty old and I am not sure who is taking there place). Chen Kaige from China is pretty popular to western movie buffs too.

Quote:
Shanghai is catching up fast in this respect. Like I said, Dreamworks, Disney are rushing to Shanghai, and recently, one SH entertainment group just bought a huge stake in TVB (HK's only TV station).
Shanghai has a lot of video game studios as well.

And HK has other TV stations too--NowTV, HKTV, RTHK, Star TV, Phoenix, etc. TVB and ATV are the only over-the-air stations (and ATV is just about dead)

Quote:
Really? I grew up in the middle of nowhere, Texas (not a very international place :-) and I grew up watching Robotech, Voltron and wanted a tomodachi and played Nintendo games and Pacman and Street Fighter in the arcade and later played Pokemon and watched movies from studio Ghibli. Japanese video game and manga culture seems huge, and much of it is centered in Tokyo.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:48 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,244,373 times
Quote:
Tokyo is one of the biggest entertainment hegemons on earth. Probably only Hollywood (LA) and NYC wield more entertainment weight worldwide. Japanese entertainment culture is absolutely huge worldwide.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:08 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:

short answer, yes, Shanghai has all of those (or something similar).

You are talking from a very American point of view, as if entertainment is universal. People enjoy different things in different parts of the world. What might seems a big deal for you might not be important for the Chinese at all.

If I ask, does NYC has as many kara-okay bars as Shanghai, you probably would think "I don't care, that's an Asian thing" - guess what, many of what seems to be absent in Shanghai to you are exactly like that to the Chinese. Most of the Chinese don't give a rat's a$$ about Broadway shows or David Letterman kind of humour, but they have their own stuff to enjoy.

Of course American culture is more influential, and the Chinese are more than willing to try something American/western, because they are open minded. They do watch stuff like ballet or musicals occasionally. How often do you see Americans watching Chinese operas or even listen to Chinese songs? because for them, America or at most the western world is the entire world. In this sense, the Chinese actually get to have more entertainment options, don't you think so?

Old 04-24-2015, 03:13 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,599,126 times
I think it may be true that some westerners find Chinese cities boring. Most Chinese do not go to the bars or clubs. There are only a few museums, and they are either too crowded with tourists or too boring. Only a small number of people are interested in theaters or live shows.

But many Chinese people find American cities boring too: hard to get around; neighbors are cold; too much "privacy"; no place to play mahjong/karaok; no Chinese people on TV ... Many Chinese immigrants only have Chinese friends, though they have been in the US for decades. White Americans are not really interested in them.
If you go to a library in an American university, you can find students of the same skin color share the same desk. Many things are defined by your skin color.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I think it may be true that some westerners find Chinese cities boring. Most Chinese do not go to the bars or clubs. There are only a few museums, and they are either too crowded with tourists or too boring. Only a small number of people are interested in theaters or live shows.

But many Chinese people find American cities boring too: hard to get around; neighbors are cold; too much "privacy"; no place to play mahjong/karaok; no Chinese people on TV ...
I definitely agree with this. Maybe my question was poorly worded, but I am only trying to get a feel for what the entertainment options are like in Shanghai. They might be things I have no interest in (I am not a big fan of Karaoke, but I like to play mahjong :-), but that is true everywhere.

When I think of NYC i think of all those things I mentioned above (museums, broadway, sports, etc.). When I think of Tokyo I think of video games and cartoons and museums and sports (baseball and sumo) and food. When I think of Shanghai I really only think of the cool skyline and xiao long bao :-) Obviously this is because I am ignorant of what cultural and entertainment options Shanghai has, which is why I asked the question.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:24 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,349,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Not hardly, in my experience as an American expat in China. There is ample nightlife in most major Chinese cities, and since Westerners do tend to be into live shows, museums, parks, etc, they indulge in these activities, many of which are new, exciting, and interesting to them. My wechat feed is a constant stream of pictures from heritage parks, day hikes, and other cultural experiences from other expats I know.

Quote:
But many Chinese people find American cities boring too: hard to get around; neighbors are cold; too much "privacy"; no place to play mahjong/karaok; no Chinese people on TV ... Many Chinese immigrants only have Chinese friends, though they have been in the US for decades. White Americans are not really interested in them.
Honestly, it has more to do with simple cultural differences and language barriers than "White Americans not being interested in them." A white American can greet their new Chinese neighbor with a "Hi, you must be my new neighbor! How are you? My name is Tom!" and get "Oh, hello. My name is Eason [no eye contact, slight nod, opens door to apartment, slips inside, locks door]."

It's a two-way street; many Chinese believe that their "5,000 year old culture" is incomprehensible to non-Chinese (it's not), and feel as though there's no way that they could become proper friends with Americans. I've heard and read many stories about Americans trying to befriend their Chinese classmates or coworkers, only to be met with the very same "coldness" you refer to. A lot of Chinese people don't know what to do with American forwardness and feel ill-at-ease with it, and you can add on top of that the stereotype that all Americans are loud, loose, hard-partying, and of low morals to the equation, and it ends up being a situation in which even if an American wants to have Chinese friends, they don't really know how to go about making them.

All this is less the case with millennial Chinese immigrants, in my experience, but still happens often. Also, their American-born-and-educated kids likely socialize just fine with non-Chinese people.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:06 PM

931 posts, read 613,474 times
Why are you all arguing over bs on the internet? There are good and bad parts of every county and city. If Shanghai is your cup of tea good for you, if you don't like it gtfo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or