U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:34 PM

931 posts, read 614,073 times

Advertisements

I prefer Suzhou and Hangzhou to Shanghai, in comparison Shanghai has almost no history or culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 01:42 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,359,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
It is not just about trade; the first time much of the rest of the world has heard of Chonqing was when Bo Xilai and his wife was purged.

Ironically, many blogs and photographers started posting about Chongqing from all the publicity created by the Bo Xilai case.
... and they haven't heard about it since

Old 05-07-2015, 08:59 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
I prefer Suzhou and Hangzhou to Shanghai, in comparison Shanghai has almost no history or culture.
Not comparable to Suzhou of course, Shanghai has a much longer history than New York City for sure.

Not many cities in China or in the world has a history comparable to Suzhou, which is older than Paris and almost as old as Rome.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:30 AM

653 posts, read 540,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
... and they haven't heard about it since
Not really; ever since the Bo Xilai case happened, youtube has videos describing Chongqing as "the secret metropolis of China", the "secret megacity" and "the creation of Bo Xilai".

Ironically, many foreign tourists now want to travel to Chongqing - and all because of Bo Xilai!

Old 05-07-2015, 09:40 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,359,093 times
Quote:
Not really; ever since the Bo Xilai case happened, youtube has videos describing Chongqing as "the secret metropolis of China", the "secret megacity" and "the creation of Bo Xilai".

Ironically, many foreign tourists now want to travel to Chongqing - and all because of Bo Xilai!
Oh yeah? Huh, that's funny... I really never heard much about it before coming here.

I guess it's sort of like China's Philadelphia

Old 05-07-2015, 05:24 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:
Oh yeah? Huh, that's funny... I really never heard much about it before coming here.

Chongqing is quite famous in the Chinese world. It was the war-time capital of China during WWII.
It's also famous for its titles like "mountain city", "fog city", one of the big four "furnaces", city of hot girls, city of gays..... It has the best hotpot restaurants too.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:36 PM

653 posts, read 540,412 times
Quote:

I suppose that is because while Chongqing is famous in China, most people outside China hardly think of Chongqing, until the Bo Xilai case happened.

Now I have friends saying that apart from Xi'an, where you can visit the terracotta warriors, or Guilin, for the beautiful scenary, Chongqing is a must-visit place.

when I asked them why, they said that it is famous because of Bo Xilai.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:31 PM

3,192 posts, read 2,645,001 times
Is it just me or is Shanghai in a rather bad spot geographically speaking? It's kind of like New Orleans, it's got a huge river running through it and it's right next to the ocean, and below the Three Gorges dam. From a natural disaster point of view, it looks like Shanghai isn't in the best of places, unlike say Delhi which looks much better situated.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:54 AM

5 posts, read 2,954 times
Not really famous outside of Mainland China actually, compared with Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Hong Kong and Taipei.

None of my ethnic Chinese friends, being outside of China, have heard of Chongqing being famous for anything, including being city of gays. I think the famous cities of gays are all in the Western world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Chongqing is quite famous in the Chinese world. It was the war-time capital of China during WWII.
It's also famous for its titles like "mountain city", "fog city", one of the big four "furnaces", city of hot girls, city of gays..... It has the best hotpot restaurants too.
Bo Xilai is not famous outside of China. And President Xi is more famous than Gong Li , Huang Xiaoming, Zhang Yimou or Fan Bing Bing outside of China.
Quote:
I suppose that is because while Chongqing is famous in China, most people outside China hardly think of Chongqing, until the Bo Xilai case happened.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:45 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Is View Post
Not really famous outside of Mainland China actually, compared with Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Hong Kong and Taipei.

None of my ethnic Chinese friends, being outside of China, have heard of Chongqing being famous for anything, including being city of gays. I think the famous cities of gays are all in the Western world.

Bo Xilai is not famous outside of China. And President Xi is more famous than Gong Li , Huang Xiaoming, Zhang Yimou or Fan Bing Bing outside of China.
I'm pretty sure those who actually speak Chinese know about Chongqing. Of course not on the same level as Beijing, Hong Kong etc.
The city of gays is a new title, and even older people in China don't know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or