U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 12:51 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,602,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Is View Post
Bo Xilai is not famous outside of China. And President Xi is more famous than Gong Li , Huang Xiaoming, Zhang Yimou or Fan Bing Bing outside of China.
I just read a report a few days ago. Most foreigners who live in China cannot tell Chinese president's name. I think ordinary white people are extremely uninterested in Asian politics, or basically anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 01:06 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,165,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I just read a report a few days ago. Most foreigners who live in China cannot tell Chinese president's name. I think ordinary white people are extremely uninterested in Asian politics, or basically anything.
Most white people, unfortunately, are not interested in Asia period (regrettably, my wife is one of them). Most white people that are interested in Asia, are usually interested in Japan mostly, or just Japan. Korea is a fad that will die down in a couple more years. The average person that mnows a thing about North Korea, first thing comes to mind is North Korea and Kim Jong-Il

Old 05-08-2015, 02:37 PM

931 posts, read 613,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Most white people, unfortunately, are not interested in Asia period (regrettably, my wife is one of them). Most white people that are interested in Asia, are usually interested in Japan mostly, or just Japan. Korea is a fad that will die down in a couple more years. The average person that mnows a thing about North Korea, first thing comes to mind is North Korea and Kim Jong-Il
Most white people's understanding of Asia come from parodies.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:18 PM

6,631 posts, read 8,322,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Oh yeah? Huh, that's funny... I really never heard much about it before coming here.

I guess it's sort of like China's Philadelphia
It is an insult to be compared to that city that you mentioned.

Though to be honest, while I posted the population numbers of the municipality, I hadn't ever made the claim that Chongqing is better than Shanghai. In fact, I went out of my way to emphasize that Shanghai is by far the more prominent city in nearly every facet than Chongqing but that does not undercut how huge that city is. Even if we look at its urban core region, it has 17 million people, there are far and few cities in all of the Western Hemisphere that can rival or exceed that size. The municipality takes it to a whole new level, 28 million people, albeit in more land area than a city necessarily needs but still, massive for a city and its immediate area of influence.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:37 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,602,936 times
In western China, the most prominent city would be Chengdu, though Chongqing is not far behind.
I just heard Poland will open a new consulate in Chengdu soon.

Chengdu and Chongqing have a very similar culture anyway. Their dialects are fully mutually intelligible (they do not speak standard Mandarin to each other) and many people have family members from both cities.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
Most white people's understanding of Asia come from parodies.
No, actually, depends on your age. if you're older than 35, it's from kung fu movies or an American action movie with a Chinese actor. If you're younger than 35, it's from anime and/or kung fu movies.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:31 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,353,482 times
Quote:
it's a funny balance... Chinese culture is the oldest and most widely-reoresented culture in the west, but also probably the most "foreign." Japanese has been present in the west for some time and more accessible since WWII. (South) Korean culture was largely overshadowed in the West by Japanese and Chinese culture until very recently, but popped up onto the scene as thoroughly modern and western, with many people unaware that until very recently, it was ruled by a military dictatorship and very low development outside the cities.

It's tough to say how long Korea will remain trendy, since trends cone and go. It is funny that in the Asia expat scene, Korea has stolen a lot of weeaboos (Japanophiles) in recent time, which is great for Japan but sucks for Korea.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
it's a funny balance... Chinese culture is the oldest and most widely-reoresented culture in the west, but also probably the most "foreign." Japanese has been present in the west for some time and more accessible since WWII. (South) Korean culture was largely overshadowed in the West by Japanese and Chinese culture until very recently, but popped up onto the scene as thoroughly modern and western, with many people unaware that until very recently, it was ruled by a military dictatorship and very low development outside the cities.

It's tough to say how long Korea will remain trendy, since trends cone and go. It is funny that in the Asia expat scene, Korea has stolen a lot of weeaboos (Japanophiles) in recent time, which is great for Japan but sucks for Korea.
Yes, but I think the weeaboo is still very strong in Japan. One thing that attracts the weeaboo is the anime, which Korea doesn't really have (manhwa is not the same as manga), and video games. Korea has some gaming industry, but clearly Japan dominates in this area. I don't think Korea knows what it's getting itself into trying to market itself to the West. Unfortunately, I think, the worst of the West tends to head to Asia, judging from the sheer amount of pervs my friends talk about encountering. In China it's not such a big deal, but my Japanese friends say totally different things. There's a video on youtube of a white guy in Japan holding a seminar on how to sexually assault Japanese women by holding their head and pushing her head down to below the belt as a joke. They couldn't get away with this in Korea, the Korean women might kick their ass hahaha, and the men I hear, are aggressive in Korea

Old 05-08-2015, 11:55 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,353,482 times
Quote:
No, actually, depends on your age. if you're older than 35, it's from kung fu movies or an American action movie with a Chinese actor. If you're younger than 35, it's from anime and/or kung fu movies.
It also depends a lot on where specifically you're from. A white person from SF, LA, Seattle, Vancouver, etc, places with bigger and more visible Asian cultures will likely be more knowledgeable due to exposure than someone from Continental Europe or the midwest.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
It also depends a lot on where specifically you're from. A white person from SF, LA, Seattle, Vancouver, etc, places with bigger and more visible Asian cultures will likely be more knowledgeable due to exposure than someone from Continental Europe or the midwest.
That's very true. Out here in PA, there's always been a Chinese community centered in Philadelphia. So, naturally most people in eastern PA assume all Asians are Chinese here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or