U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2015, 07:46 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,161,410 times
Reputation: 11619

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Is there anywhere around Tokyo resembling The Bund, or French Concession areas of Shanghai with lots of stunning European style architecture right in Asia? Pudong of Shanghai is on another level compared with any Tokyo equivalent.
Is it just me, or did I notice another white person grading a city's greatness because one city has European architecture, and the other does not? Why would anyone travel thousands of miles just to marvel at European colonial architecture? SMH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2015, 12:30 PM
 
448 posts, read 499,256 times
Reputation: 170
Tokyo was not ruled by the West.

Shanghai had western concessions, that's why it has European colonial architecture. Qing empire was FORCED to open Shanghai to foreigner traders, and ceded Hong Kong to Britain when it was defeated by Britain in the Opium wars.

Shanghai locals' level of English are no doubt better than Tokyo Japanese. Parents are also increasingly sending many Shanghainese youths to study in the West. In the US, you can see much more students from Korea, Taiwan and HK than Japan, despite Japan being more rich and having much larger population. Few Japanese study overseas compared with the Chinese, Koreans and Taiwanese. Shanghainese are definitely more international than the Tokyo Japanese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2015, 12:40 PM
 
448 posts, read 499,256 times
Reputation: 170
Physical punishing children are no longer acceptable in the places where I lived from the 1990s.

Such parents and teachers are considered bad ones nowadays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Strangely enough, i never had this problem; everytime I mention when i come from, I usually get the same responses:

"OMG, have you ever been canned before?"
"So you have never tried chewing gum before?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2015, 11:55 PM
 
931 posts, read 613,607 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Tokyo was not ruled by the West.

Shanghai had western concessions, that's why it has European colonial architecture. Qing empire was FORCED to open Shanghai to foreigner traders, and ceded Hong Kong to Britain when it was defeated by Britain in the Opium wars.

Shanghai locals' level of English are no doubt better than Tokyo Japanese. Parents are also increasingly sending many Shanghainese youths to study in the West. In the US, you can see much more students from Korea, Taiwan and HK than Japan, despite Japan being more rich and having much larger population. Few Japanese study overseas compared with the Chinese, Koreans and Taiwanese. Shanghainese are definitely more international than the Tokyo Japanese.
Speaking of western architecture, Harbin has more impressive western architecture than Shanghai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 01:39 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,351,665 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Is it just me, or did I notice another white person grading a city's greatness because one city has European architecture, and the other does not? Why would anyone travel thousands of miles just to marvel at European colonial architecture? SMH
I think it's sort of like grading a Western city's architecture and character on its inlusion of Asian architecture in a Chinese or Japanese area... IMHO, it can be quite interesting. Here in GZ, theres a place called Xiamen (or Shamian) Island, which is the old European concession where you had European dignitaries and businesspeople living. It's a mix of different European styles of architecture, and the areas around it experienced tons of foreign investment so you have sections that could be a part of London or NYC if you didn't know better. There is some really fascinating Art Nouveau and Art Deco architecture in the area. in the years since the communist era, most of these buildings were turned into housing or government offices; many have been restored in recent years, but you will also see how some of them have been modified to be more Chinese in the interceding century. It's kind of cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 01:42 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,351,665 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Physical punishing children are no longer acceptable in the places where I lived from the 1990s.

Such parents and teachers are considered bad ones nowadays.
I think that, at least in urban China, parents these days are more averse to corporal punishment than Western parents are. A lot of the kids I taught would have benefited from a good whap or two, honestly... :X
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 04:12 AM
 
448 posts, read 499,256 times
Reputation: 170
Since urban Mainland Chinese have only 1 or 2 kids nowadays, frequent punishing them will result in the kids hating their parents. Good family relations are highly important in Chinese society. Strict parents may end up having no children and grandchildren coming back during Chinese New Year.

Xiamen in Fujian also has an island called Gulang Yu full of western architecture. And there is Qingdao in Shangdong too. No suprise HK, Macau, Manila, Vietnam, Singapore, East Timor and Goa have western architecture because of colonial rule.

And maybe it is because Japanese find their country already very good, so very few Japanese go study or migrate overseas. They are not as keen as other Asians to learn good English, the reason maybe English is not very important back in Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 07:26 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
And maybe it is because Japanese find their country already very good, so very few Japanese go study or migrate overseas. They are not as keen as other Asians to learn good English, the reason maybe English is not very important back in Japan.
It is not so much about Japanese find their country very good, but rather the introverted culture itself. Unlike Koreans and Chinese for example, the Japanese look at anything foreign with suspicion. While an American degree usually receives high regard in China or Korea, with a foreign degree, including American ones, the Japanese upon returning to Japan might find it harder to finder good jobs.

True that few Japanese migrate overseas, but it has less to do with whether Japan is good or not. Americans and Canadians immigrate all the time. Plus, it is not like Japan has been doing well economically for the past 20 years - the country hardly had any growth. People keep forgetting that Japan is not always rich. Immediately after WII it was probably as poor as many developing countries, yet not many Japanese choose to immigrate. The reason is still the Japanese in general are less curious about other parts of the world, that that have an introvert culture and don't usually go out of their way to settle in different parts of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 10:21 AM
 
448 posts, read 499,256 times
Reputation: 170
Japanese maybe introvert, but they were extremely keen to learn from the Westerners. Japan was the first modern country in Asia, to adopt western innovation, clothings and systems of government. Became a military power but was wrong to invade others in world war 2. It is still the most developed country in Asia.

Koreans and Chinese are as introvert as the Japanese, and still look at foreigners with suspicion. They are all modernising but not very westernised nations. Any Koreans, Mainland Chinese, Singaporeans, Hongkongers and Taiwanese would be considered very outstanding and employed by large coporations in Asia with high pay if they graduated from Harvard, Yale, MIT, Oxbridge and Chicago. There are increasing number of Chinese with western education returning to work in fast-booming Shanghai. Don't know about the prospect of such graduates in Japan.

Right after world war 2, the US, Canada and Australia were better countries to live. Japanese did not have the English ability to move and they were still unofficially considered as enemy by people in allied countries for some years. It was difficult for them to be accepted in other countries.

Last edited by lokeung); 06-26-2015 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Singapore
653 posts, read 539,695 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Since urban Mainland Chinese have only 1 or 2 kids nowadays, frequent punishing them will result in the kids hating their parents. Good family relations are highly important in Chinese society. Strict parents may end up having no children and grandchildren coming back during Chinese New Year.

Xiamen in Fujian also has an island called Gulang Yu full of western architecture. And there is Qingdao in Shangdong too. No suprise HK, Macau, Manila, Vietnam, Singapore, East Timor and Goa have western architecture because of colonial rule.

And maybe it is because Japanese find their country already very good, so very few Japanese go study or migrate overseas. They are not as keen as other Asians to learn good English, the reason maybe English is not very important back in Japan.
I think Japanese are no so willing to learn other languages because of xenophobia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top