U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:35 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Your 100% correct, Shanghai is above NYC (I'm from northern New Jersey) in transportation, modernness and convenience, however don't you like breathing in clean air? Do you really feel safe jumping in a taxi in Shanghai, they way people drive? Do you like living in a city where you will NEVER be part of the community and you will ALWAYS be considered an outsider (foreigner/Laowai)? Shanghai is a great city when you're young and having fun, but eventually you will get tired of it and want more.
He's Chinese. Just a friendly reminder.

Btw he's crazy(you can check his older posts out to see if it's true). Just another friendly reminder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 08:39 AM

6,722 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Your 100% correct, Shanghai is above NYC (I'm from northern New Jersey) in transportation, modernness and convenience, however don't you like breathing in clean air? Do you really feel safe jumping in a taxi in Shanghai, they way people drive? Do you like living in a city where you will NEVER be part of the community and you will ALWAYS be considered an outsider (foreigner/Laowai)? Shanghai is a great city when you're young and having fun, but eventually you will get tired of it and want more.
Chinese are always outsiders in New York too, especially if their English is not as fluent as natives. How many middle class or upper class white Americans have real Chinese friends? Most American women (white and black) do not date Chinese men. At least laowais can date Shanghainese girls without too much difficulty.

If the foreigners are fluent in Chinese (just speaking is fine), they may find it is easier to be accepted. But probably only 0.1% expats are fluent in Chinese. Many live there for 10 years and can only produce broken phrases, not to mention read and write.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:53 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,244,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
I lived in shanghai for 5 years and now live in NYC. Miss SH so much. In my opinion, NYC, the so called most global city, is way below Shanghai, in terms of cleanness, modernness, convenience, etc.
I think that's a crazy statement. Shanghai isn't clean (you were only in Pudong or something?), what is "moderness" and how is that a good thing (obviously cities are better if they are older; Paris is better than some random Chinese city, in part because it is old and not filled with ugly residentials), and how is Shanghai "convenient" relative to other global cities?

The fact is that the rich in Shanghai mostly wish to leave. In contrast, you will never see the rich in NYC, London, or Paris desire to live in Shanghai. It isn't really a desirable place to live for most.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Chinese are always outsiders in New York too, especially if their English is not as fluent as natives.
Half the people in NYC don't speak English at home, so you will not be an outsider in NYC if you don't speak English as a first language. In fact, in much of the city, you are an outsider if you speak English well.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Half the people in NYC don't speak English at home, so you will not be an outsider in NYC if you don't speak English as a first language. In fact, in much of the city, you are an outsider if you speak English well.
I have been to NYC a few times and talked to random people there. Most if not all speak English fluently. Yes they may have some accent, but NYC accent is not "standard" to begin with. Now you tell me how many people from China (or Shanghai) speak English as well as them?

Old 04-24-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I have been to NYC a few times and talked to random people there. Most if not all speak English fluently.
I never claimed that New Yorkers don't speak English fluently. I said that a huge proportion of New Yorkers don't speak English as their first language, which is true.

You claimed that people who don't speak English as their first language are "outsiders" but that makes no sense, as in much of NYC, most people don't speak English as their first language. The million or so Chinese residents in NYC live in neighborhoods where almost everyone does not speak English as a first language (Flushing, Elmhurst, Sunset Park, Bensonhurst, etc.).
Quote:
Yes they may have some accent, but NYC accent is not "standard" to begin with. Now you tell me how many people from China (or Shanghai) speak English as well as them?
If you are referring to the traditional white ethnic NYC accent you see on movies/TV, that is not the standard NYC accent in 2015.

You will not hear that accent very much these days. You will mostly only hear it among the elderly, or in the suburbs or in South Florida. Basically where you see many elderly white people who were born in NYC a long time ago.

The exaggerated NYC accent you see in movies/TV (like in My Cousin Vinny or The Nanny) is not even real. It's exaggerated for comedic effect. I have not ever encountered one person in NYC who spoke like the characters in those films/shows.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I never claimed that New Yorkers don't speak English fluently. I said that a huge proportion of New Yorkers don't speak English as their first language, which is true.

You claimed that people who don't speak English as their first language are "outsiders" but that makes no sense, as in much of NYC, most people don't speak English as their first language. The million or so Chinese residents in NYC live in neighborhoods where almost everyone does not speak English as a first language (Flushing, Elmhurst, Sunset Park, Bensonhurst, etc.).

If you are referring to the traditional white ethnic NYC accent you see on movies/TV, that is not the standard NYC accent in 2015.

You will not hear that accent very much these days. You will mostly only hear it among the elderly, or in the suburbs or in South Florida. Basically where you see many elderly white people who were born in NYC a long time ago.

The exaggerated NYC accent you see in movies/TV (like in My Cousin Vinny or The Nanny) is not even real. It's exaggerated for comedic effect. I have not ever encountered one person in NYC who spoke like the characters in those films/shows.
No, I never said "people who don't speak English as their first language are outsiders", I used the word "fluently". Why did you change that on purpose?

I'm not talking about 1940s. I am talking about now, and "standard" American English refers to the variant derived from Midwest accent: rhotic r in coda position; hot and father have the same vowel; and so on.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:44 AM

1,011 posts, read 627,651 times
that's only your opinion.
in fact, shanghai has more millionnaire growth than any of the cities you just mentioned.
NYC is just a joke. African cities will not have so many potholes on their highways. I walked down the Fifth avenue, and was almost robbed. My car was just stolen near my home and I live a safe neighborhood by NYC standard.

Don't know why NYC is so popular on this forum. It is the worst city i ever lived in

Quote:
I think that's a crazy statement. Shanghai isn't clean (you were only in Pudong or something?), what is "moderness" and how is that a good thing (obviously cities are better if they are older; Paris is better than some random Chinese city, in part because it is old and not filled with ugly residentials), and how is Shanghai "convenient" relative to other global cities?

The fact is that the rich in Shanghai mostly wish to leave. In contrast, you will never see the rich in NYC, London, or Paris desire to live in Shanghai. It isn't really a desirable place to live for most.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:47 AM

Anyone have a positive view of China is crazy in your mind.

Have you heard AIIB? American's western allies are all on their knees for a share under CHina's leadership
The world has changed. Open your mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
He's Chinese. Just a friendly reminder.

Btw he's crazy(you can check his older posts out to see if it's true). Just another friendly reminder.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:50 AM

Shanghai is convenient, because you can expect a reliable public transportation system 10 times better than NYC, because you can get a cab even if you are low income, because you can walk down the street at night without worrying about being robbed.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or