Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 02:28 AM

15 posts, read 19,002 times

Advertisements

Cities with a high population means nothing.
Mexico City has a higher GDP per capita than Shanghai, and yet still considered poor by most Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 03:02 AM

1,110 posts, read 974,349 times
About half of NYC population is below the poverity line. If you cannot make your ends meet, you are considered poor. The average GDP means nothing. Those wall street tycoons can make billions, but the poor mainstreet guy makes minimum wages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPEIJSJD View Post
Mexico City has a higher GDP per capita than Shanghai, and yet still considered poor by most Americans.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:14 AM

15 posts, read 19,002 times
Agree, be it Shanghai, Tokyo, NYC, London, Mexico City, HK or Singapore, one can see poor people around.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:53 AM

64 posts, read 83,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPEIJSJD View Post
Shanghai has lower GDP per capita as Shanghai population is dilute with mass migrators from rural area. Lower down the average GDP per capita. Shanghai is a Alpha plus city (same level as HK, Tokyo, Singapore, Paris) while Mexico City is not.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:04 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,234,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
About half of NYC population is below the poverity line. If you cannot make your ends meet, you are considered poor. The average GDP means nothing. Those wall street tycoons can make billions, but the poor mainstreet guy makes minimum wages.
No, only around 20% of NYC is below the poverty line.

Where did you get "about half"? Even in Detroit nowhere close to half the people are poor.

And the U.S. poverty line is much higher than the median income in China. It's more than twice the median income in China.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samngchaoyu View Post
Shanghai has lower GDP per capita as Shanghai population is dilute with mass migrators from rural area. Lower down the average GDP per capita. Shanghai is a Alpha plus city (same level as HK, Tokyo, Singapore, Paris) while Mexico City is not.
I have no idea what "Alpha plus city" means, but Mexico City is richer than Shanghai. It has a higher median income. It looks and feels richer, and indeed it is richer.

And anyone who thinks Shanghai is the economic equivalent of HK, Tokyo, Singapore or Paris is taking some serious drugs. Shanghai is still a poor developing world city, no matter how many flashy skyscrapers are built.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:29 PM

9,255 posts, read 9,679,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, only around 20% of NYC is below the poverty line.

Where did you get "about half"? Even in Detroit nowhere close to half the people are poor.

And the U.S. poverty line is much higher than the median income in China. It's more than twice the median income in China.
Direct comparison means nothing when we talk about poverty. One can live OK with $300 per month in Chinese cities (if he has a place to live already), but one cannot survive with that money in the US.

For poor people, what they need is food, clothes, basic means of transportation and so on. China provides those things in much lower prices.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Direct comparison means nothing when we talk about poverty. One can live OK with $300 per month in Chinese cities (if he has a place to live already), but one cannot survive with that money in the US.

For poor people, what they need is food, clothes, basic means of transportation and so on. China provides those things in much lower prices.
Not true. Consumer prices are generally higher in China. Real estate is generally more expensive. And China has almost no safety net. Someone earning $300 per month in the U.S. is getting hundreds a month in govt. food support alone.

A very poor person in a first world country lives much better than a very poor person in China. I mean, it isn't even close. The poorest 20% of Americans would be among the richest 40% or so of Chinese.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:44 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,925,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I have a couple of things to say about this comment.

Firstly, yes, the younger generation is losing the ability to speak Shanghainese. I have numerous friends from the city and none of them have children that can speak it. Even the ones who live in Shanghai can't speak it.

Secondly, it is a SHAME that younger Shanghainese are losing their language. Such an important language to Chinese culture and identity is truly being crushed by the oppressive hand of communism. Absolutely saddening if you ask me and I feel blessed to have been surrounded by this endangered language for the past six years of my life through friends and loved ones.

On the topic at hand, I would like to think that Shanghai will pass Tokyo someday, but right now I still have a few doubts that it will happen. Shanghai is still 11 million people behind and growth rates are down from last decade. At the current rate it would take until the 2030s for Shanghai to pass Tokyo and so many things can change between now and then.
What's the youngest generation that speaks Shanghaiese as a rule? Post 70s? Post 80s? Post 90s? Is it completely dead among children, or just fading rapidly?

Old 04-18-2015, 05:46 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,925,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Not true. Consumer prices are generally higher in China. Real estate is generally more expensive. And China has almost no safety net. Someone earning $300 per month in the U.S. is getting hundreds a month in govt. food support alone.

A very poor person in a first world country lives much better than a very poor person in China. I mean, it isn't even close. The poorest 20% of Americans would be among the richest 40% or so of Chinese.
This is why I'm skeptical of the idea China is doing "so well" economically right now. There might be more money shoveling through the country but if China is so modern and rich now, how come nobody can afford to live in all their "ghost cities" or shop in their empty malls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia