Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:02 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
No, I never said "people who don't speak English as their first language are outsiders", I used the word "fluently". Why did you change that on purpose?
The Chinese in NYC are not "outsiders" and obviously do speak English fluently. What are you even talking about?

Those that don't speak good English all live in Chinese neighborhoods where no on speaks English without an accent anyways. How can they be "outsiders" if they dominate their areas?

Chinese are "insiders", not "outsiders" in NYC. Immigrants dominate most of NYC. It's the non-immigrants, if anyone, who are the "outsiders".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I'm not talking about 1940s. I am talking about now, and "standard" American English refers to the variant derived from Midwest accent: rhotic r in coda position; hot and father have the same vowel; and so on.
Yes, that is indeed common, but much less so in NYC than outside NYC. That accent is derived from working class ethnic whites from the early 20th century, and they are mostly passed away or live somewhere in Florida or the suburbs or something.

You will not stroll down a street in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn in 2015 and hear people who talk like anything like "The Nanny". The exaggerated white ethnic accent you see in gangster movies and the like is almost completely unknown. The older people all speak Chinese or Russian or Spanish and their kids all speak regular English, with no obvious "traditional" NYC accent (though with the general Northeastern U.S. language characteristics).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 10:03 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Anyone have a positive view of China is crazy in your mind.

Have you heard AIIB? American's western allies are all on their knees for a share under CHina's leadership
The world has changed. Open your mind
Thank you for proving my point.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:07 AM

1,110 posts, read 982,635 times
I see from your location why you are so negative about China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Thank you for proving my point.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
that's only your opinion.
in fact, shanghai has more millionnaire growth than any of the cities you just mentioned.
Because Shanghai is poor. If a city in Africa goes from one millionaire to two millionaires, it has 100% growth. If NYC or London add hundreds of thousands of millionaires, they only have 20% growth. Not my fault if you don't understand statistics.
Quote:
NYC is just a joke. African cities will not have so many potholes on their highways. I walked down the Fifth avenue, and was almost robbed. My car was just stolen near my home and I live a safe neighborhood by NYC standard.
LOL! You have never been to NYC. Yes, I'm sure Fifth Avenue, with by far the highest retail rents on the planet, and the most desirable retail street on the planet, is worse than Africa.

Your are obviously poor and ignorant and have never left China. You don't even have the financial means or visa to visit HK. Sorry! Enjoy the poisonous air and slave wages in mainland China. Good luck with that! Maybe one day you will get the HK visa and you can visit the first world.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:10 AM

I live in New york and previously lived in Switzerland, a place with the highest living standard. However, I miss Shanghai, and would definitely desire to go back to live if the work permits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Because Shanghai is poor. If a city in Africa goes from one millionaire to two millionaires, it has 100% growth. If NYC or London add hundreds of thousands of millionaires, they only

NYC is just a joke. African cities will not have so many potholes on their highways. I walked down the Fifth avenue, and was almost robbed. My car was just stolen near my home and I live a safe neighborhood by NYC standard.

Your are obviously poor and ignorant and have never left China. You don't even have the financial means or visa to visit HK. Sorry! Enjoy the poisonous air and slave wages in mainland China.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:12 AM

you ever come to NYC?
I was almost robbed this month on FIFTH and my car was just stolen

WOW, this is the high quality of life everyone is vying for.

Quote:
Because Shanghai is poor. If a city in Africa goes from one millionaire to two millionaires, it has 100% growth. If NYC or London add hundreds of thousands of millionaires, they only have 20% growth. Not my fault if you don't understand statistics.

LOL! You have never been to NYC. Yes, I'm sure Fifth Avenue, with by far the highest retail rents on the planet, and the most desirable retail street on the planet, is worse than Africa.

Your are obviously poor and ignorant and have never left China. You don't even have the financial means or visa to visit HK. Sorry! Enjoy the poisonous air and slave wages in mainland China. Good luck with that! Maybe one day you will get the HK visa and you can visit the first world.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I live in New york and previously lived in Switzerland, a place with the highest living standard. However, I miss Shanghai, and would definitely desire to go back to live if the work permits.
Bull. You are poor and have never traveled.

And I guarantee you are lying about your car being stolen on Fifth Ave. and you being robbed on Fifth Avenue. Show us the evidence.

No one even drives to Fifth Ave. and there are tons of people about, and it is completely safe. How exactly were you "robbed", and where exactly was your car "stolen", when there is no parking in the first place? NYC has the lowest crime rate of any major city in the U.S.

And Switzerland is like 100,000x better than Shanghai. No one living in Zurich or Geneva dreams of moving to mainland China. That's completely delusional. The Swiss are among the most prosperous people on the planet. They have fresh air, fantastic schools, high salaries and amazing quality of life.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
you ever come to NYC?
I was almost robbed this month on FIFTH and my car was just stolen
Sure. And I was just murdered on the Bund, just yesterday!

Old 04-24-2015, 10:25 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
The Chinese in NYC are not "outsiders" and obviously do speak English fluently. What are you even talking about?

Those that don't speak good English all live in Chinese neighborhoods where no on speaks English without an accent anyways. How can they be "outsiders" if they dominate their areas?

Chinese are "insiders", not "outsiders" in NYC. Immigrants dominate most of NYC. It's the non-immigrants, if anyone, who are the "outsiders".

So in your opinion, Chinese immigrants living in Chinatown or Flushing are fully accepted by local Americans? That is what you call "insiders"? Go ask those Chinese immigrants what they think about it.

If foreigners speak Chinese fluently, their life can be much better in Shanghai too. But most of them don't bother to learn, or are incapable of learning.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:27 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Quote:
I see from your location why you are so negative about China
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia