Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 12:19 AM

11,054 posts, read 16,747,040 times

Advertisements

Because that's what the internet is for... not much else to do on the GZ metro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 02:40 AM

922 posts, read 798,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Because that's what the internet is for... not much else to do on the GZ metro
You must have a great 3g plan.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
You must have a great 3g plan.
I'm on China Mobile's 4G LTE... works pretty well. Not quite as fast as the 4G LTE plan I had back in the US, but it's close, and light years above the 3g here... 129 rmb/mo plus an extra 30 for increased data.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:47 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,194,688 times
Bettafish mentioned that if more foreigners spoke fluent Chinese, they would fit in with the locals more. I disagree with this completely. Chinese will never accept foreigners like their own. Chinese will go out of their way to be very friendly on the surface, however foreigners are just too different in their eyes, and Chinese are actually very ignorant. The culture gap is just too large between foreigners and Chinese.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Bettafish mentioned that if more foreigners spoke fluent Chinese, they would fit in with the locals more. I disagree with this completely. Chinese will never accept foreigners like their own. Chinese will go out of their way to be very friendly on the surface, however foreigners are just too different in their eyes, and Chinese are actually very ignorant. The culture gap is just too large between foreigners and Chinese.
Yup.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:44 PM

9,255 posts, read 9,679,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I thought you were, at least we're on the same page. I mean, Asian-Western relationships do work out sometimes, but the onus is on the Asian to Westernize his/herself. It's far easier for the Asian to Westernize than for the Westerner to.......Easternize, especially since Easterners are more exclusive than inclusive
Westerners do not really want to assimilate either. I've never seen any westerner claiming he/she wants to fully assimilate to any eastern culture, but you can find many Asians wanting to do the opposite.
If you treat yourself differently, believe me people can feel that and do the same to you.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:58 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,794,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Westerners do not really want to assimilate either. I've never seen any westerner claiming he/she wants to fully assimilate to any eastern culture, but you can find many Asians wanting to do the opposite.
If you treat yourself differently, believe me people can feel that and do the same to you.
Yes. It's because Western culture is easier to adapt to. It also helps when the society in general, is more welcoming to assimilation. It's easier for an Asian to move to the West and assimilate than the other way around. I haven't lived in Asia, but from everybody I personally know that has, in Asia they do not accommodate foreigners the same way we do over here. Foreigners born and raised in Asia face more discrimination than Asians born and raised in the West.

It's just plain harder for a Westerner to assimilate to a culture that has more rules, strictly defined gender roles, and restrictions.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:04 PM

64 posts, read 74,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
^I wasn't talking about the wife or the husband themselves though. I was referring to their family members or relatives, they could be really aggressive and frankly, just ****ing annoying.
I have seen more than once that marriage banquet hijacked by distant relative that you hardly ever known (that you must invite for some reasons otherwise your parent will lose 'face' and be mad at you). A number (not all) of senior citizens would believe that playing Mahjong or singing their dated songs are the highlight of the night. Wonder if it's common in your country as well.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:51 PM

1,110 posts, read 974,349 times
You are claiming American TV is superior to other TV programs. How ignorant is that.Of course, Chinese watch TV. But why would Chinese love watching Letterman? In Shanghai, there are many more TV channels than there are in NYC. SH is also not short of Museums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
What? Non-westerners don't go to museums? Listen to music? Watch TV? These options aren't only for westerners, the local variations might be different (like Beijing Opera vs. broadway musical or something) but obviously all cultures like to be entertained.

It's nice that you do not like to watch TV, but most of the rest of the world does. My question was not about your personal entertainment preferences, but more about access to those in Shanghai. In NYC it is quite easy to get tickets to go watch a tv show or something being filmed (although you might have to reserve them early). There are always free music performances in Times Square for the Good Morning America TV show or something. I am only asking what that is like in Shanghai.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-28-2015 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 04-27-2015, 02:02 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,622,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
the thing is, how many westerners go out of their way to adapt to the Chinese culture and become part of the Chinese lifestyle?

I used to know many Americans back in Shanghai, and all of them stick to an north American life as well as way of thinking, even after living in China for more a decade. They still start a day with coffee, not soy milk and fried break stick or pock buns like the Chinese. They still watch English content on TV and the internet and they pay zero attention of what Chinese celebrity is popular these days. I don't see them playing indoor badminton or Pingpong either, nor Chinese style poker games. What's worse, the majority of them still don't speak much Chinese after living in Shanghai for so long.

And you expect the Chinese take them as one of their own people? Chinese in America make 100 times the effort in adapting to local culture and still have trouble being really accepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia