Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 01:30 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,981,226 times

Advertisements

The statement by some calling Singapore "Asia for Beginners" (in reference to its manifesting more western influence thanks to the British colonial era like knowledge of the English language, as well as its efficient government services, minimal corruption problems, well-built infrastructure, first-world economy, high living standards, and ease of getting around) for people visiting/living in Asia for the first time kind of makes sense to me considering the above factors. But anyway, if Singapore is indeed beginners Asia, what would you consider the other Asian nations in terms of difficulty and the like? Please let me know what you guys think on this matter. Thanks.

Last edited by mrconfusion87; 08-07-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM

2,924 posts, read 5,586,501 times
thailand is prolly the true asia for beginners. easily best traveller infrastructure in asia, even better than singapore. singapore has good travel infrastructure, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't punch above it's weight, it's right where it should be considering its development level.

as far as SE asia goes, all countries are extremely easy to travel in, wouldn't rank any particularly difficult.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:52 PM

308 posts, read 893,820 times
Singapore is an extremely well-developed city state (think of much cleaner and more high-tech version of Chicago, in a tropical climate), so all comparisons will be deeply flawed. Japan is very similar to Singapore from the "clean and modern" feel - hardly a challenge for an average Westerner.

I personally found Bangkok to be very subpar in terms of infrastructure for travelers (although very exotic!!!), but haven't been anywhere else in Thailand, so can't vouch for anywhere else in this country.

I've been to rural Vietnam and it is definitely as exotic and "pure Asian" as it gets, can probably even rival Cambodia...

Old 08-07-2012, 07:21 PM

3,754 posts, read 5,270,204 times
Singapore is also very expensive! I just spent two days there and am glad to be gone.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:07 PM

61 posts, read 226,710 times
most parts of Kuala Lumpur is modern and clean.. it seems like its the next city in SE Asia other than singapore to be fully modernized..

Old 08-08-2012, 08:08 PM

23,284 posts, read 23,657,690 times
Hong Kong is also very Westernized and many native Hong Kong locals can communicate in English. The signs and public transportation are all bilingual (Chinese and English). I found Hong Kong to be pretty easy to travel through, modern and safe.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:35 PM

3,190 posts, read 4,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzrOrange View Post
Singapore is an extremely well-developed city state (think of much cleaner and more high-tech version of Chicago, in a tropical climate), so all comparisons will be deeply flawed. Japan is very similar to Singapore from the "clean and modern" feel - hardly a challenge for an average Westerner.

I personally found Bangkok to be very subpar in terms of infrastructure for travelers (although very exotic!!!), but haven't been anywhere else in Thailand, so can't vouch for anywhere else in this country.

I've been to rural Vietnam and it is definitely as exotic and "pure Asian" as it gets, can probably even rival Cambodia...
I agree with most of what yous say, though I'd say countries like Japan and Taiwan are somewhat less accessible than Singapore unless you speak the local language. Malaysia isn't quite as developed as Singapore with disorganised transport networks (public transport in particular) though the vast majority can speak English.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:20 AM

5,892 posts, read 5,814,234 times
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos all easy and cheaper options for beginners.......

Old 08-10-2012, 03:35 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,941,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
thailand is prolly the true asia for beginners. easily best traveller infrastructure in asia, even better than singapore. singapore has good travel infrastructure, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't punch above it's weight, it's right where it should be considering its development level.

as far as SE asia goes, all countries are extremely easy to travel in, wouldn't rank any particularly difficult.
Myanmar would be the most difficult to get around

Old 08-12-2012, 08:15 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,779,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post

Singapore is still easier to get around for an English speaker, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia