U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 4,822 times

Advertisements

I will be going there to teach ESL in an elementary school. Was wondering if there are any good websites or locations to help meet locals and also other foreigners staying in the city. Does anyone have anything to recommend.

Also are there any true Cons for living in Tianjin?

Old 02-04-2014, 04:03 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,356,891 times
Tianjin is a beautiful city for sure and then it is really close to the capital which takes like maybe 15 mins by train(high speed Chinese train). Tianjin is full of yummy food. It is kind of rich city compared to other Chinese cities. The nightlife there is also wonderful.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:19 PM

3,123 posts, read 2,700,820 times
Biggest con of living in Tianjin is that the subway system is not very developed and the roads tend to be overcrowded. Also like other cities, pollution is a problem, and there are many old buildings that should have been torn down. Apart from that, its a nice city.

I am foreigner living in Tianjin, but I have no interest meeting up with foreigners, so I don't know how to meet them. It might be easier to go through some Beijing club.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:45 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
I've been to Tianjin. Lots of handsome old colonial buildings from various European countries, but also a lot of ugly industrial grime and the pollution is bad.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:14 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,349,751 times
I haven't been to Tianjin yet, but I moved to Guagnzhou recently... I can't really help as far as specifics go for where to meet foreigners, but if you check some of the different ESL community pages online, you'll probably find some people to connect with.

Are you working for the school directly, or are you working for a placement company that puts you there? If it's the latter, then they'll probably have other foreigners who work there who you can connect with. Failing that, one fairly surefire way to meet foreigners is to find an expat bar or even hang around a Western supermarket.

Here's a link to a forum discussion about expat bars in Tianjin; maybe you can connect with some of the forum members? Bars & Nightclubs In Tianjin - Tianjin Expats Forum

Also, there is a Metro market in Tianjin; Metro is a German cash-and-carry place that technically sells to businesses, but you can get in by showing them your passport to prove you're a foreigner (weird, I know). It's useful to know just because at some point, you'll likely get homesick for Western goods - for instance, tomato sauce to make spaghetti is rare outside of Western shops - and they have an okay selection of the basics. While I was there, I had an American couple greet me and ask if I was from Boston, because I was wearing a Red Sox shirt... we chatted a bit and exchanged numbers. A Dutch guy asked me how long I'd been in China and offered to help me learn Chinese. Even though I didn't move to China expecting to be around Westerners or Western things at all, and that was part of the allure, you don't realize how nice it is to be able to speak in full sentences and shoot the breeze about stuff back home until you never get a chance to do it.

Also: if you like cooking, be sure to bring chili powder, dried basil, and dried oregano - it's nigh-upon-impossible to find here. I haven't been able to find basil or oregano so I'm having my family ship it out to me. If you like hot sauces, bring some of those, too, as Chinese pepper sauces are all very different and not very hot.

Good luck and have fun If you have any questions about life in China or teaching ESL, feel free to PM me!

Old 02-25-2014, 03:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,491 times
I am local in Tianjin and I recently moved to the Netherlands. Feel free to contact me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or