U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 06:13 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,273,235 times

Advertisements

Just wanna share this to those who might be interested..

5 reasons why expats love Singapore | CNN Travel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 06:37 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,263,362 times
Of course these experiences are subjective, and i think mostly true, although I will say while most Singaporeans, especially the young, some older Singaporeans and some young can be a bit racist towards say other poorer South-East Asians and South Asians, largely for economic reasons. Then again also mainland Chinese too. And if S'pore is more relaxed than Korea Korea must be really bad! Singaporean schoolkids seem really stressed out, as do many who work there, I don't know if many Singaporeans have a true work/life balance, what would you say? Also a lot of these expats probably live in nice condos in a foreign enclave. I wonder how integrated their children will be. I've already seen kids of European background speaking Singlish which is pretty cool/interest, have you seen this much?

Old 02-04-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Of course these experiences are subjective, and i think mostly true, although I will say while most Singaporeans, especially the young, some older Singaporeans and some young can be a bit racist towards say other poorer South-East Asians and South Asians, largely for economic reasons. Then again also mainland Chinese too. And if S'pore is more relaxed than Korea Korea must be really bad! Singaporean schoolkids seem really stressed out, as do many who work there, I don't know if many Singaporeans have a true work/life balance, what would you say? Also a lot of these expats probably live in nice condos in a foreign enclave. I wonder how integrated their children will be. I've already seen kids of European background speaking Singlish which is pretty cool/interest, have you seen this much?
I would say majority of Singaporeans work to death and do not have true work life balance.. If not why are we seeing Harry's son still slogging it out subjecting himself to verbal abuse from netizens when he could have just walked away.. I mean likely he have made enough to last him a lifetime.

I personally have not seen European kids speaking Singlish, just some expats who appear on local TV occasionally.. The American guy who i mentioned.. But well, more of those expats kids are going to our govt schools instead of international school so i do think that the no of expat children who are integrated is growing as they grow up playing with our local kids

Old 02-04-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I would say majority of Singaporeans work to death and do not have true work life balance.. If not why are we seeing Harry's son still slogging it out subjecting himself to verbal abuse from netizens when he could have just walked away.. I mean likely he have made enough to last him a lifetime.

I personally have not seen European kids speaking Singlish, just some expats who appear on local TV occasionally.. The American guy who i mentioned.. But well, more of those expats kids are going to our govt schools instead of international school so i do think that the no of expat children who are integrated is growing as they grow up playing with our local kids
Yes, that's one aspect of life in S'pore i don't like, but do you think working to death was/is necessary for making Singapore so rich and successful? Maybe they could ease up and be more generous with welfare, but then I wonder how that would change Singapore or make it less competitive.

Yes I've seen a couple or so, they're just Singaporeans really. Ah that's cool, I think the fact English is taught in those schools is a big reason, and might mean they're more integrated. It's certainly easier to integrate in Singapore vs Hong Kong, because Singapore itself is actually an Asian version of an American-type immigrant society. Maybe European Singaporeans will be a growing ethnic group in a country where the 'three race' model has dominated for so long? Do you also notice 'interracial marriage' increasing in Singapore?

Old 02-04-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, that's one aspect of life in S'pore i don't like, but do you think working to death was/is necessary for making Singapore so rich and successful? Maybe they could ease up and be more generous with welfare, but then I wonder how that would change Singapore or make it less competitive.

Yes I've seen a couple or so, they're just Singaporeans really. Ah that's cool, I think the fact English is taught in those schools is a big reason, and might mean they're more integrated. It's certainly easier to integrate in Singapore vs Hong Kong, because Singapore itself is actually an Asian version of an American-type immigrant society. Maybe European Singaporeans will be a growing ethnic group in a country where the 'three race' model has dominated for so long? Do you also notice 'interracial marriage' increasing in Singapore?
Actually good point , LHL have tried to stress that we need to stay ahead of the competition, and not we cannot rest on any achievements cos if we had, we will fall behind.. I fully agree with him, but locals really seemed overworked that to them at this stage they rather think about their personal interests first before the nations.

Yes, interracial marriage is becoming increasingly common, but still not commonplace enough..

Old 02-05-2014, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Actually good point , LHL have tried to stress that we need to stay ahead of the competition, and not we cannot rest on any achievements cos if we had, we will fall behind.. I fully agree with him, but locals really seemed overworked that to them at this stage they rather think about their personal interests first before the nations.

Yes, interracial marriage is becoming increasingly common, but still not commonplace enough..

Well, there has to be a balance. You can't work overwork your population for too long or else they will complain, even if it was increased living standards. My grandmother didn't have a high paying job but she worked her arse off to support her family.

So you think IR marriage is good overall? I don't have anything against it, myself, but I was just wondering:

The perfect Chindian couple - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or