U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 06:26 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,263,362 times

Advertisements

The tiger is an important animal throughout Asia - their range once extended from as far west as Turkey, across much of central Asia, to the Amur, through Korea and China as far south as Bali and of course most of the Indian sub-continent. As we know, the tiger is now endangered with fewer than 4,500 or so in the wild, most of them now in India (the Bengal tiger).

At one point, it was estimated there were 100,000 across much of Asia. The tiger plays a major role in the mythology of Korea (there's a myth that people were the result of a union between a tiger and bear), of course China (year of the tiger), neighbouring Vietnam, it's important in India (in Bengal there's a tiger deity).etc. During the British Raj they were hunted mercilessly for sport, and in recent years were a victim to human expansion. Same thing in China. Mao declared the tiger's a pest and many were killed, with the population dropping from 4,000 in the 1950s to 200 in the 1980s to almost nothing now. Also many were poached for their skin or their body parts for traditional medicine. It certainly is sad. In my own Singapore, the last tiger was probably killed near Choa Chu Kang, then a rural part of Singapore, in the 1930s. In fact during the 19th century it was said that several people were killed by tigers a year. There's also the famous story of the last tiger being shot in the Raffles hotel, of all places, where it's hide is displayed today. I guess by the time my grandparents were alive the tiger was already rare in Singapore.

I'm curious as to your stories regarding this magnificent animal - or more probably those of your parents or grandparents, if they have any. Good/bad encounters and their views of the animal.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:28 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,273,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
The tiger is an important animal throughout Asia - . In my own Singapore, the last tiger was probably killed near Choa Chu Kang, then a rural part of Singapore, in the 1930s. In fact during the 19th century it was said that several people were killed by tigers a year. There's also the famous story of the last tiger being shot in the Raffles hotel, of all places, where it's hide is displayed today. I guess by the time my grandparents were alive the tiger was already rare in Singapore.

I'm curious as to your stories regarding this magnificent animal - or more probably those of your parents or grandparents, if they have any. Good/bad encounters and their views of the animal.
In My own Singapore.. I really like that !!!

Old 02-04-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
In My own Singapore.. I really like that !!!
Lol, well I didn't know how to say it, I'm still an Australian first, of course, but I sort of claim Singapore as my 'own' in a way, even though I can't claim to be a real Singaporean who's lived there, I have connections there and am very familiar with the place.

My mum's mum lived in a rural kampong in Singapore (she was born in 1900) so would have lived there when a few tigers still roamed, as hard to believe as it is now.

What about you? Did your parents tell you stories? Also what is your background? E.g. when did your family come to Singapore and what ethnic group were they?

Old 02-04-2014, 07:35 PM

Come on, Golden Tiger and Tiger Beer, chip in haha.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:51 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,273,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Lol, well I didn't know how to say it, I'm still an Australian first, of course, but I sort of claim Singapore as my 'own' in a way, even though I can't claim to be a real Singaporean who's lived there, I have connections there and am very familiar with the place.

My mum's mum lived in a rural kampong in Singapore (she was born in 1900) so would have lived there when a few tigers still roamed, as hard to believe as it is now.

What about you? Did your parents tell you stories? Also what is your background? E.g. when did your family come to Singapore and what ethnic group were they?
My parents didnt really tell me stories of this kind, all is know is except for my maternal grandfather, my grandparents were all born in Singapore.. My paternal grandparents died before i was born, so i didnt even know what they look like etc.. My maternal grandmother didn't really tell me much stories... Maybe she was not that kind of story telling person in nature..

Old 02-05-2014, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
My parents didnt really tell me stories of this kind, all is know is except for my maternal grandfather, my grandparents were all born in Singapore.. My paternal grandparents died before i was born, so i didnt even know what they look like etc.. My maternal grandmother didn't really tell me much stories... Maybe she was not that kind of story telling person in nature..
Yes, I wish I could hear her stories, but I don't think she told many...

The tiger is of course also a native of Fujian province (today the dozen or so left in the wild, if they are still there, are partly in Fujian) so my ancestors would have interacted/lived with this remarkably animal, the South China Tiger.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:20 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,204,093 times
Disturbing thought. There are more tigers in zoos in the US alone than in the wild.

Always thought an area abutting the DMZ in South Korea might be a good tiger sanctuary. That way overflow population could spread into the DMZ.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:56 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,892,592 times
Postman,
You gotta find that guy on the elephant to ask him what the experience was like...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or