Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:28 AM

681 posts, read 1,045,680 times

Advertisements

So I'm planning a trip to Asia early next year and trying to decide between Bangkok, Thailand or Hong Kong. I've been to Bangkok before, but I miss it for nostalgic purposes, but would also like to experience Hong Kong. Those who have been to both, which was more cost effective for those on a budget and the potential for getting some good sightseeing in.

Pros and cons for Bangkok:

-been to bangkok before, am aware of how to use their transit system
-beautiful skyline
-speak a few words of Thai, enough to order food and such
-Lots to see and do (temples, shopping malls, ect.)
-BTS Skytrain is awesome, MTS subway system is also cool, and riding the river taxi down the river.
-I love Thai Food!
-Worlds most beautiful beaches.
-Cheap once recovered from plane ticket costs

Cons:

-been there done that (barely touched the surface though)
-Hot, hot, hot! (although tropical)
-tourist traps (higher prices)
-such a long flight
-pollution (Bangkok only)

Hong Kong

Pros:

-never been, new experience
-Beautiful skyline
-taste new foods

Cons:

-no experience with transit system
-cost more expensive

I have fewer pros and cons for Hong Kong as I've never been so that alone should be reason for me to go, for that experience. I would go one day either way but between the two cities just looking for some reasoning to help me make my choice.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 07:36 PM

313 posts, read 531,815 times
If you've been to Bangkok before than Hong Kong.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 PM

108 posts, read 295,653 times
I live in Hk for 8 months working for HSBC, been to Bangkok probably over 10 times. Hk is sort of like NYC, shopping and basically doing what other major big cities give you, you can take the ferry over to Macua. You can also visit China while your there. The transit system will probably take you tops 15 minutes to figure it out. RED, BLUE, GREEN LINE with English all over the place, is a very small transit system.

I'll take Bangkok any day over HK for vacation..They are both equally hot..with Hk more hot because of the crowded streets. Didn't mention the hotels will cost around 100 to 150 dollars a night compare to what around 50 for Bangkok.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypp View Post
I live in Hk for 8 months working for HSBC, been to Bangkok probably over 10 times. Hk is sort of like NYC, shopping and basically doing what other major big cities give you, you can take the ferry over to Macua. You can also visit China while your there. The transit system will probably take you tops 15 minutes to figure it out. RED, BLUE, GREEN LINE with English all over the place, is a very small transit system.

I'll take Bangkok any day over HK for vacation..They are both equally hot..with Hk more hot because of the crowded streets. Didn't mention the hotels will cost around 100 to 150 dollars a night compare to what around 50 for Bangkok.
Bangkok is tropical and Hong Kong is sub-tropical. HK cools down in the winter, and can get quite chilly actually. So if the OP is going very early in the year, he/she can expect cool to mild weather. Bangkok is hot all year round, it just has a wet and a dry season.

The two are just too different to really compare: HK is a lot more scenic, I find Bangkok an ugly city. Bangkok's main attractions are at street level, and the wats and architecture of like the palace etc is impressive. I prefer the food in BKK myself. HK is more scenic, closer access to nature (Lamma/Lantau/NT), more developed, modern, and westernised, although Bangkok is very much that way in parts as well. I would recommend the OP try HK this time.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:43 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
Bangkok is tropical and Hong Kong is sub-tropical. HK cools down in the winter, and can get quite chilly actually. So if the OP is going very early in the year, he/she can expect cool to mild weather. Bangkok is hot all year round, it just has a wet and a dry season.

The two are just too different to really compare: HK is a lot more scenic, I find Bangkok an ugly city. Bangkok's main attractions are at street level, and the wats and architecture of like the palace etc is impressive. I prefer the food in BKK myself. HK is more scenic, closer access to nature (Lamma/Lantau/NT), more developed, modern, and westernised, although Bangkok is very much that way in parts as well. I would recommend the OP try HK this time.
I don't know i don't find neither of the urban jungle particularly attractive, but HK got more beautiful (and taller) skyscrapers compared to Bangkok.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
I don't know i don't find neither of the urban jungle particularly attractive, but HK got more beautiful (and taller) skyscrapers compared to Bangkok.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=h...w=1071&bih=568

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=h...e=off&tbm=isch

HK's skyline is stunning, on the harbour with the hills in the background. That alone is probably the city's main attraction, especially at night with the light show.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:58 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Pounder View Post
Bangkok is hot all year round, it just has a wet and a dry season.
Actually, the bulk of Thailand has three seasons: Hot (Dry) Season, Rainy Season and Cool Season. Cool is only a relative term though, but there are times when it can indeed feel rather cool at times during the Cool Season, mostly in the wee hours of the morning, but also chilly during the day if there's a cold front that moves in from China and northern Asia. However, as you move down toward Phuket, it's pretty much just two seasons, as you mentioned, but I'd call it Wet (because of the monsoons) and Hot (but more humid than dry). Any way you look at it though, Bangkok and the rest of Thailand is indeed pretty toasty. There was a joke a Thai friend told me a long time ago about describing Thailand's three seasons: Hot, Hotter and Hottest.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:07 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
I have fewer pros and cons for Hong Kong as I've never been so that alone should be reason for me to go, for that experience. I would go one day either way but between the two cities just looking for some reasoning to help me make my choice.

Thanks!
Wait. Are you saying that you'd just be spending one day in either city?

Old 07-24-2014, 07:49 AM

681 posts, read 1,045,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Wait. Are you saying that you'd just be spending one day in either city?
lol saying no matter which I go, one day I would visit the other to. i plan on spending a week. Takes 24hrs to get there from here.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Actually, the bulk of Thailand has three seasons: Hot (Dry) Season, Rainy Season and Cool Season. Cool is only a relative term though, but there are times when it can indeed feel rather cool at times during the Cool Season, mostly in the wee hours of the morning, but also chilly during the day if there's a cold front that moves in from China and northern Asia. However, as you move down toward Phuket, it's pretty much just two seasons, as you mentioned, but I'd call it Wet (because of the monsoons) and Hot (but more humid than dry). Any way you look at it though, Bangkok and the rest of Thailand is indeed pretty toasty. There was a joke a Thai friend told me a long time ago about describing Thailand's three seasons: Hot, Hotter and Hottest.
Well it is relative. I was in Bangkok in December, it was a balmy night for me, and while riding on the tuk tuk I felt the breeze was nice and refreshing but the tuk tuk driver was complaining about how cold it was lol.

Yeah, the dry season is still hot (highs generally still above 30C), and well, say April is sort of a transition zone, more humid and a bit wetter than the peak of the dry season, with the hottest temps, while from June it gets wetter and slightly cooler but still hot and steamy.

Hong Kong, by contrast, has definitely coolish weather, with highs average 18C versus 30C in BKK for January, and lows dipping as low as 0C (in contrast nights below about 15C would be seen as very cold in Bangkok). It has something sort of resembling a 'winter' at least. It can, however, still be rather gloomy and sometimes wet in winter despite the fact it's the 'dry' season. Drier, rather, not a total drought like central Thailand.

Phuket has a climate akin to northern Malaysia, like Penang, it was still humid and rained a fair bit in December there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia