Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 01:40 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times

Advertisements

I think she's Bisayan (she said a few words of Bisayan in the 2nd video), and everyone says that Bisayans speak better English because it's easier for them to pick up than Tagalog speakers. I'm not sure why Bisayan makes it easier. Filipinos have slightly different accents in English depending on their native language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 04:45 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,169 times
even native English speaker have different accents. here in the USA, a Californian would have a hard time understanding someone from the South.

and if you go to Hawaii, another accent which I believe is a fusion of English, Japanese, Filipino and Native Hawaiian accent

if you ask me, id rather prefer the Filipino accent, which is neutral than a Southerner

Old 07-31-2019, 07:27 PM

1,002 posts, read 906,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
Overseas asians in Indonesia is chinese . .
chinese descent in Indonesia experienced a decline in population because the 2010 census in general the majority of them did not identify as chinese or tionghoa but more to ethnic Indonesian example chinese or tionghoa from Java identified it as Javanese and other. in fact pure chinese people or a mixture there are so many in Indonesia, especially in urban areas and some live in the countryside
- https://www.tionghoa.info/berapa-jum...-di-indonesia/
- https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig1_307898102

Old 08-03-2019, 01:13 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
even native English speaker have different accents. here in the USA, a Californian would have a hard time understanding someone from the South.

and if you go to Hawaii, another accent which I believe is a fusion of English, Japanese, Filipino and Native Hawaiian accent

if you ask me, id rather prefer the Filipino accent, which is neutral than a Southerner
Yep - good point.

Hawaii has a local patois called Pidgin which encompasses all of the islands' cultural influences, and its spoken almost in a run on sentence at times. Interestingly, the Filipino community in Hawaii hail disproportionately from Ilocanos, so you might hear some Ilocos spoken.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:48 AM

272 posts, read 270,496 times
How do you guys manage to dig up a 5 year old thread and think the person you're quoting is going to reply?

Old 08-10-2019, 12:33 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Well they aint American, European, African or Arab either so what are they?
South Asian more specifically.
In the Uk, when someone says Asian, they mean the brown asians (Indians, bangladeshians, pakistanians).
In the us, when someone says Asians, they mean the yellow Asians (Chinese,Japanese, Koreans).

Old 08-10-2019, 12:37 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post

Patently false.
Southerners may speak with a different accent than a Bostonian but they would not have a “hard time” understanding each other.
Speaking with customer service from India is what I would describe a “hard time understanding”.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:58 PM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
South Asian more specifically.
In the Uk, when someone says Asian, they mean the brown asians (Indians, bangladeshians, pakistanians).
In the us, when someone says Asians, they mean the yellow Asians (Chinese,Japanese, Koreans).
What do they call the yellow Asians in the UK?

Old 08-13-2019, 02:35 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Chinese are found in large numbers in most Asian countries. There's a Chinatown in Kolkata.
there is a new wave of Chinese migration again.

https://www.rappler.com/thought-lead...se-philippines

and this is not true in the Philippines only.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:24 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,141,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
What do they call the yellow Asians in the UK?
I remember about 20 years ago when I first got onto one of these international BBS forums and it would come up. A Briton would say "Oriental" and one of us would come back with what I first heard on the UCLA Bruin Walk in 1979 as a 17 year old. "Oriental refers to objects and Asians are a people" which would set off the debate on how we differentiated East Asians from South Asians. When the South Asian population really wasn't big enough in America, at least where I was, to really make a difference. In any case the South Asian was treated more like a white ethnic group, Persian, Arabs, Italians, than the other Asian in my experience.

In any case about that time at the turn of the century I found myself arguing with an immigrant from Cambodia when he referred to himself as a Oriental, that "oriental refers to objects you are an Asian". Just as it had been drilled into me just as I reached adulthood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia