Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 02:50 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowwow111 View Post
Average Annual Wage ranking:

1. Luxembourg
4. USA
10. South Korea
14. Singapore
15. Austrailia
17. Japan
29. Qatar
30. HongKong

Just in Asia, Koreans are wealthiest people.
Care to link a source for that?

If the average Korean earns more than your average Australian I would be very shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 03:17 AM

87 posts, read 166,484 times
South Korea has her share of societal problems but in terms of quality of living, it can be truly excellent if you have the means. As a longtime Silicon Valley resident (one of the most affluent areas of the US, mind you), it almost felt like stepping into a third-world country as I set foot on SFO, returning from trip to Seoul. Yeah, probably a lot of that has to do with not-so-great facilities and rude workers of SFO but a lot of these sentiments did not go away completely -- I'm specifically referring to things like public transport, day-to-day use of technology, roads/infrastructure, services, and accessibility to food/entertainment. Overall, everything is just so much more convenient and streamlined in Korea than in the states.

Last edited by shoenberg3; 05-21-2014 at 03:26 AM..

Old 05-21-2014, 03:36 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoenberg3 View Post
South Korea has her share of societal problems but in terms of quality of living, it can be truly excellent if you have the means. As a longtime Silicon Valley resident (one of the most affluent areas of the US, mind you), it almost felt like stepping into a third-world country as I set foot on SFO, returning from trip to Seoul. Yeah, probably a lot of that has to do with not-so-great facilities and rude workers of SFO but a lot of these sentiments did not go away completely -- I'm specifically referring to things like public transport, day-to-day use of technology, roads/infrastructure, services, and accessibility to food/entertainment. Overall, everything is just so much more convenient and streamlined in Korea than in the states.
Im sure my mother in law who earns about $300 working 70 hour weeks cleaning the train stations would agree with you. I highly doubt she would have ever set foot in the Gangnam for anything other than work, and she only lives about 5 km away.

At least she is not one of those poor old ladies who pushes rickshaws collecting recyclables for a living.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 05-21-2014 at 04:32 AM..

Old 05-21-2014, 05:55 AM

87 posts, read 166,484 times
Good point and that's why I mentioned foremost that Korea has societal problems that it needs to deal with. But I still maintain that everyone, regardless of income level and where they live, can take advantage of conveniences and streamlined technology that Korea offers -- for example, excellent public transport system throughout most of peninsula and good access to affordable food. Of course, an affluent person living in Gangnam will be able to reap these luxuries much more but that wasn't my point.
Plus, such terrible disparity in economic structure isn't unique to korea: I could make a similar point about the inner-city African-American who lives in horrid ghettos -- you can't quite find such drug-filled, violent hellholes in korea -- like I see in midwest cities where I currently live

Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
What 4 countries in your opinion provide the highest quality of life for citizens in Asia?

My guess is Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea and Singapore.
As stated Hong Kong isn't really a separate country. So I would substitute Israel instead.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:55 PM

177 posts, read 268,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Care to link a source for that?

If the average Korean earns more than your average Australian I would be very shocked.

I guess the data came from ILO (International Labour Organization), a division of the U.N. and they're the numbers for 2012.
In this list, Singapore, Japan and Hong Kong are ranked below South Korea.
I would not be surprised if the gap is bigger today in 2014.

Average Monthly Salary for 72 Countries in the World – 1-million-dollar-blog

Old 05-26-2014, 04:29 PM

318 posts, read 638,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Yes, the most developed in Asia are Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan. I added Taiwan as it is pretty close in terms of level of development to the others.

If OP is trying to use HDI as the gauge of which country to visit, then those are the 5 countries. I personally would not use HDI to determine which countries/cities to visit. After all, the most boring city I have been to is Zurich, which has among the highest HDI for any country/city. Also, HDI favors the city-states more, as a larger countries need to average the primary city with the countryside. You'll also be surprised as how "developed" some cities are in developing countries.
Just because a city is boring, it does not mean the standard of living there is poor. Some of the most exciting cities in the world to vacation in have a very high rate of poverty, like Cairo, Egypt and Rio De Janeiro, Brasil for example.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:38 PM

318 posts, read 638,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravityelevator View Post
india is also a developed country in Asia.
Most Indian people do not even have access to a toilet in their houses. Its 2014, but India is still stuck in the stone ages.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:40 PM

18 posts, read 26,235 times
India,Japan,Chaina,Shri Lanka these 4 countries most developed in Asia.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:59 PM

192 posts, read 292,790 times
Hong Kong is not a country. I would say Japan, Singapore South Korea and China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia