U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:52 AM

9,783 posts, read 13,374,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
It's considered a cute pose in China/Taiwan/Japan. Same for making "moe" lips. Child-like is the ideal for girls, and effeminate is the ideal for boys over there. Eye contact is considered rude, and so is making large gestures or strides.
Mmm, I haven't seen that in China at all. People look eachother in the eye when talking or conducting business, perhaps even moreso than in the US, and there's a normal amount of hand gestures used relative to what people do in the US. More cutesy-ish girls take little teeny steps, and grandmas tend to shuffle, but everyone else walks normally. Especially during rush hour.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:28 PM

6,730 posts, read 6,619,367 times
In China, being too "sexy" has some negative effects, even for dating.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:23 PM

201 posts, read 265,439 times
I think it's all relative. From the American perspective, the Asians look "nerdy." From the Asian perspective, the Americans look "slutty/douchey" (using Jersey Shore as a reference).

in short: beauty/aesthetics is truly in the eye of the beholder

Old 02-11-2014, 10:27 PM

9,783 posts, read 13,374,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In China, being too "sexy" has some negative effects, even for dating.
The only place I've seen women get really dolled up is in the clubs, which is about what I'd expect - super-high miniskirts, tight shirts with rhinestones on them, big fake eyelashes, basically trying to look like anime characters... kind of creepy.

Most of the women here who want to dress up and look "sexy" still look very classy; more like a 60's, Audrey Hepburn, feminine sense of "sexy," rather than overtly, trashy, Paris Hilton "sexy." Which I prefer, personally I've got a vivid imagination, it's nice to be able to use it once in awhile...

Old 02-12-2014, 02:04 PM

448 posts, read 500,470 times
There are many handsome male stars in Asia most Americans have not heard of, are well liked by female Asians.

I don't see a lot of nerdy people in Asia, for adults, only those with more education or too into computer games can be considered nerdy in Asia. What's the percentage of people that do not look nerdy for people with higher education?

Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,949,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Mmm, I haven't seen that in China at all. People look eachother in the eye when talking or conducting business, perhaps even moreso than in the US, and there's a normal amount of hand gestures used relative to what people do in the US. More cutesy-ish girls take little teeny steps, and grandmas tend to shuffle, but everyone else walks normally. Especially during rush hour.
I defer to your experience. Remove mainland China from my list. However, just look at the magazines in the convenience stores and judge the cultural ideals for yourself. I don't know any PRC fashion mags, so I wouldn't know what goes on on the mainland, I just assumed they followed Taiwan's lead.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:53 PM

174 posts, read 266,116 times
Agree with OP. I have had experiences in dealing with people from mainland china, and Hong Kong. While it is true that as a whole many of them do look "nerdier" per say, they are very different in terms of personality from their American/Canadian counterparts. A nerdy chinese guy (born in Canada/US) not only looks nerdy, but lacks the social skills to interact with people around them (in other words, a weirdo). A nerdy chinese guy from china is very different - he may look nerdy, but more than likely has the personality of a normal, outgoing human being - more often than not he has a beautiful girlfriend as well. I have seen many instances of this. In this respect, the nerdy chinese guy is a very respectable individual - rather, I wouldn't have any respect for the nerdy chinese guy who was born in North America. I'm sure all of us know what kind of nerdy guy I'm talking about here.

That being said, there are plenty of "cool" looking Asians everywhere, though perhaps less than what we see in North America. I'm personally fine with the nerdy Asians..most of them have great personalities anyway. Heck, even the IT nerd I met in HK could babble on and on and on over Friday night drinks. Can't say the same would happen for his north american counterpart.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:15 PM

12,964 posts, read 8,783,224 times
In Asia, the education system is about molding kids to become robotic workers and constant conditioning, memorization, and molding system. I blame the nerd culture there on the education system and the food supply.

Most asians grew up eating a high carb diet and not a protein rich diet. So much guys are skinny and short. Places in Asia that eat a high protein diet produces bigger and taller population.

In Taiwan, where some of the best little league baseball players are never really gotten anywhere in major league because once the kids get to HS and are forced into this education system where athletics are looked down at.

Which is why Jeremy Lin can only happen in the US because in Taiwan when a gifted player spends more time on sports than education it is looked down upon there.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:05 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,014,353 times
Filipinos in the Philippines (at least in urban areas) look almost the same as Filipinos in the US. They even dress similarly because of Western influence

Philippines,Manila,ErmitaArea1, 2008y,06m,14d(Sat),16h12 - YouTube

Old 02-14-2014, 12:59 PM

6,270 posts, read 6,394,992 times
Because looks are not the most important thing for them as they are not vain and shallow.

A lot of americanized asians that dont look nerdy, but try to look slick, and tough, and trendy are just phonies, who beg their momies to buy them that look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or