U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:58 AM

6,731 posts, read 6,628,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
On average, Asian americans are also nerdier than their Australian counterparts. This is based on my personal observation.
Many Asian American men look like lacking confidence. Were they bullied or something?
Chinese in China do not have that idiosyncracy.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:45 PM

6,731 posts, read 6,628,665 times
Americans (maybe Europeans too) are very picky with respect to look.

I've never seen any "heavy" women date good looking men, or vice versa. However it is relatively common in China.
In China as long as you have a decent job and are a good person, you can find a decent spouse. In America, it is not the case.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:44 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,775,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post

Cool American.
Like a fish out of water. I never understood how that look caught on. Still if you scan Fakebook I'm sure you can find some Asian gals giving their best trout pout pose. As Hollywood has declared the fish lips look dead, the sheep may stop this ridiculous look. The Kpop girl groups all seem to be pretty heavily made up and looking west, not the nerdy types for sure.

According to the link below, The latest selfie trend is the so-called “sparrow face.” It’s already hot in Japan. To achieve the coveted “sparrow” look, open your eyes wide and part your mouth slightly, “like you’re a baby bird waiting” for a tasty worm. See there are stupid people all over the world making faces for the camera. Look at the photos in the link. Is this look better than the nerd look? I think not.

Bettafish, You've never seen a very homely person with a much better looking partner? Looks are generally what first attracts one to another when relative strangers, that isn't just true in the states. The USA isn't the only country that has many superficial sheep type people or those picky about what they are looking for in a potential spouse. Most people don't want just an attractive outside shell. There has to be more to the person than that for a good long term relationship to blossom. "As long as you have a decent job and are a good person, you can find a decent spouse". And you believe in the states that's not possible.

"Sparrow Face" Is The New Duck Face

Old 02-16-2014, 06:08 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,128,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post

"Even guys can do it!" Funny.

Some of those wide eye pictures freak me out a little bit..Same with the androgynous look a lot of young Asian dudes have going on.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:18 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,775,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
"Even guys can do it!" Funny.

Some of those wide eye pictures freak me out a little bit..Same with the androgynous look a lot of young Asian dudes have going on.
LOL Yeah, the pics and captions were funny. "You can do it with a friend"...a double dose of wide eyed "chirp face". It's not just Americans infected by trends.
Did you see their other article? "Duck face the race for the cure"... funny.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 PM

15 posts, read 26,674 times
Most East asians in East Asia are rather proud of their country and heritage, since they are the majority in their country, nobody say they are bad. Asians familiar with western countries do know they are viewed negatively by the westerners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Many Asian American men look like lacking confidence. Were they bullied or something?
Chinese in China do not have that idiosyncracy.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:06 PM

15 posts, read 26,674 times
I don't think this is true for every westerners. In asia, there are many westerners dating or married asians of aveage or bad look(these asians just arent good-looking by both western or asian standard of beauty)
[quote=Bettafish;33502107]Americans (maybe Europeans too) are very picky with respect to look.[quote]

Old 02-16-2014, 10:39 PM

9,784 posts, read 13,386,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalwenp View Post
I don't think this is true for every westerners. In asia, there are many westerners dating or married asians of aveage or bad look(these asians just arent good-looking by both western or asian standard of beauty)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Americans (maybe Europeans too) are very picky with respect to look.
I've seen it cut both ways here, honestly.

I've seen good-looking Western guys with Chinese girls all up and down the spectrum of attractiveness, and also ugly Western guys with Chinese girls all up and down the spectrum of attractiveness. I met a guy last night who was badly-cross eyed, had glasses like Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys, was about 5'7 and had a build that wasn't just thin, but sickly, and his girlfriend looked like a model, with fair skin, medium-brown eyes and perfect cheekbones, and she conducted herself in a very graceful and classically-ladylike fashion. And he's a teacher, so while he makes more money than the average Chinese person, he's hardly rich or powerful. Conversely, I know an Australian guy who's a martial artist, in top-flight shape, and has done modelling gigs for clothes and products here... his girlfriend would be considered "ugly" by Chinese and Western standards, she's from a poor family and is fairly brusque by our standards. But, they're very happy together! More power to 'em.

There have been a few times I've seen a pretty sharp looking Asian guy with a really frumpy Western woman who would be considered unattractive back home. I've never seen an attractive Western woman with an unattractive Asian guy here, though; I think that they really end up having pick of the litter, as it may be... they can hold out for a successful young guy who's handsome and in great shape, because they are about as "exotic" as it gets in China.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:34 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,293,886 times
As in wearing glasses? Here in Australian even a lot of Asian Australians are like that, some even dress in a more Asian style, but as others said, if they're Australian/American they will probably conform more to the norms in those countries, although it varies from person to person. Also plenty of nerdy looking people in Thailand and Vietnam...

If anything if you go to South Korea the young people there are probably MORE fashionable than Americans in general, Asians or otherwise. The men dress up more, the women often wear a lot of makeup/plastic surgery.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:06 PM

101 posts, read 232,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Why are you asking me? I don't like it when women wear too much makeup...
It was directed to the OP. I just don't like making many short posts in a row so I just post it all in one. Sorry for any confusion.

Quote:
There's a massive enough difference between Western rock and Asian rock that the latter is generally specifically noted as being J-rock or K-rock; they're so totally different
Rock is usually defined by the type of instrument used. I'm not too fond of rock that sounds too calm, mild or repetitive mindless beat. Rock should sound "rocking" (epic) to me at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or