U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 06:05 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,343,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I think not caring about how the look is 100 times better than not caring about their grades/GPAs, don't you think so?

Maybe the mainstream American culture is all about looking pretty and sexy and getting laid, fortunately Asians realize that there is something far more important than that. The pathetic American culture seems to be telling kids every day that being good at math and science is a bad thing, while being sleek with ladies not caring about school is cool - there is a name for the latter - losers.

Those nerdy Asian kids eventually get into Princeton and MIT while playing 3 music instruments, while the cool kids end up waiting tables or fixing cars at the age of 45.
Not all Americans, but most of the black/hispanic minorities/white trash Americans do have this mindset. I agree. It's sad.

Honest opinion grounded in statistics coming from a second generation Vietnamese-American male attending graduate school at University of Michigan(prestigious) this fall.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:23 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Culture.

If you are in the U.S., you pretty much MUST required to get into the gym, wear cool clothes, buy the right products, conform to images.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:33 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,109,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Culture.

If you are in the U.S., you pretty much MUST required to get into the gym, wear cool clothes, buy the right products, conform to images.

Isn't the above true for most teens, pretty much everywhere, including Japan?

People outside the states only see what's in the movies and on television. There's plenty of nerdy looking Americans walking around. They're not showcased and their look isn't exported because there's no profit in it.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:44 AM

41 posts, read 43,494 times
Umm.. Culture?
But arent most nerdy looking come from NORTHeast asian countries?
Ive never seen a nerdy indian..

Old 08-13-2014, 02:46 AM

147 posts, read 173,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneneedsbattery View Post
Umm.. Culture?
But arent most nerdy looking come from NORTHeast asian countries?
Ive never seen a nerdy indian..
Are you kidding? lol. In my high school people of South and East Asian ancestry seemed to form the majority of the 'nerdy' group lol.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:43 AM

41 posts, read 43,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravelli View Post
Are you kidding? lol. In my high school people of South and East Asian ancestry seemed to form the majority of the 'nerdy' group lol.
In my high school most nerdy groups were some white guys and some east asian
Guys , so i used indian just example

Old 08-13-2014, 12:50 PM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
It really depends on who.I am pretty sure that there are tons of Asian Americans that are super nerdy-looking.

And let me remind you,the nerdy-looking Asians aren't really nerdy in most cases,usually those kids are just obsessed with video games or online games etc,so they have to wear glasses,thus appear to be "nerdy",when in fact most of them probably have never read any decent book.

Also bear in mind that Asian education does not value physical education at all,as opposed to the sports junkies in the US where stupid frat boys are all tanned and muscular and dumb blondes are cheerleaders(stereotypes,but you get the idea).

Old 08-13-2014, 08:25 PM

89 posts, read 141,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In China, being too "sexy" has some negative effects, even for dating.
That is true. This phenomena is formed by its traditional concept. Chinese people is more conservative.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:27 PM

1,019 posts, read 895,028 times
I can make myself look nerdy!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:45 PM

10 posts, read 9,082 times
No offence, Asians in Asia have the stereotype opinion of Americans being fat.

Korean people can be very good-looking or nerdy, and are popular in Asia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It really depends on who.I am pretty sure that there are tons of Asian Americans that are super nerdy-looking.

And let me remind you,the nerdy-looking Asians aren't really nerdy in most cases,usually those kids are just obsessed with video games or online games etc,so they have to wear glasses,thus appear to be "nerdy",when in fact most of them probably have never read any decent book.

Also bear in mind that Asian education does not value physical education at all,as opposed to the sports junkies in the US where stupid frat boys are all tanned and muscular and dumb blondes are cheerleaders(stereotypes,but you get the idea).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or