U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 03:17 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,816,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourmotheruis View Post
No offence, Asians in Asia have the stereotype opinion of Americans being fat.

Korean people can be very good-looking or nerdy, and are popular in Asia.

they are so skinny, the threshold they have for being "fat" is pretty low as well. I've met plenty of Asian women are very attractive by typical western standards and aren't heavy at all, but consider themselves fat because they aren't rail thin.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:14 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,201,777 times
I noticed most people seem to look like where they originally came from or were raised

it comes from the different lifestyle, the type of foods or nutrition, the people you associate with , your mannerisms, your environment , climate

the people in asia tend to look like everybody else they live around

plus they dont consume much dairy products or eat a diet high in fats & protein like americans, so they will tend to be smaller and not as big as Americans.

Ive seen some Asian Americans that look like giants compared to older generations, I wonder how they got so huge? could it be from the all hormones they add to the food these days?

Last edited by mr bolo; 08-22-2014 at 09:19 PM..

Old 08-24-2014, 07:25 AM

72 posts, read 74,536 times
Someone already mentioned it on page 1, but I will reiterate. If you are 2nd or 3rd generation, then you are an AMERICAN. Your mannerisms, your outlook on life, and your culture is AMERICAN. I am a black American who has lived in quite a few countries. Been around all different nationalities and ethnicities. Nine out of 10 times, I can tell when someone is an American (regardless of ethnicity) before they even open their mouths. This goes for black, asian, and white.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:57 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,201,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtm7 View Post
Someone already mentioned it on page 1, but I will reiterate. If you are 2nd or 3rd generation, then you are an AMERICAN. Your mannerisms, your outlook on life, and your culture is AMERICAN. I am a black American who has lived in quite a few countries. Been around all different nationalities and ethnicities. Nine out of 10 times, I can tell when someone is an American (regardless of ethnicity) before they even open their mouths. This goes for black, asian, and white.
I disagree, it really depends how you were raised, if you grew up in a traditional asian family , in the asian community, still speak the language, associate with other asians from your ethnic group from the same background, your mindset is not American, many dont even consider themselves Americans, only as a citizen but not culturally, some people take it as an insult to be called an American just because they were born here

when the kids are raised they still refer to people outside their ethnic group as the Americans, they dont consider themselves as American, thats what the teachers in school might say, that your technically an American, but many still dont accept it and rather relate to their asian identity, plus people still dont treat you as an American , they will always see you as asian, especially if you still identify with your ethnic group.

only people that dont have an identity claim they are American and nothing else

I personally knew some old timers that were born in the US but they lived in such a tight knit asian community, if you were to meet them you would think they were born and raised in asia, they even have an accent like they are from asia, sometimes they were even sent back overseas to go to asian schools and live with relatives and returned to the US at a later time since they had citizenship.

having US citizenship doesnt always mean your culturally American

Last edited by mr bolo; 08-25-2014 at 01:08 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 01:26 PM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Quote:

I don't think we are in the position of saying Americans are fat when we are pretty fat ourselves

Old 08-25-2014, 11:15 PM

96 posts, read 213,056 times
Quote:

That might be true, however there are still some younger, nerdier Koreans who seem to be rather concerned about their physical appearance, which fuels the 'excessive use of plastic surgery' stereotype we have of Korean pop culture here in the West.

Whereas the Koreans born here, in the United States (later in the video), don't have such insecurities. Perhaps due to their Westernized cool factor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCKShGLyeK0

Old 09-03-2014, 10:44 AM

2,585 posts, read 3,728,527 times
I'm under the impression that it's the opposite. Asian-American women just look like normal American women to me. They actually tend to dress more conservatively than other American women it seems.

In Asia I think it really depends on the culture of the particular country.

South Koreans seemed most Americanized (which makes a lot of sense considering US involvement there). Japan has its own thing going on. What's attractive for women to many over there would be considered creepy or fringe in the US. The men seem to either be running around in suits or camped out in gaming parlors. Vietnam seems like a strange mix of modern and traditional. They have a unique sort of urban American influenced youth culture that doesn't seem to have much of a threatening edge to it. Mongolian women have a very refinined sense of style and are some of the most stunning women I've seen. They are far from nerdy. The men have more of an Eastern European sense of style, which is to say nonexistent.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:48 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I don't think we are in the position of saying Americans are fat when we are pretty fat ourselves
1/3 Americans are considered obese while 2/3 are overweight.
No East Asian country is close to being that fat.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:53 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
The truth is that most Americans ARE indeed fat.
When I say most, I mean almost 70% are overweight (BMI >25). So it is not stereotype, it is statistical facts.

Must be because their car culture - they will drive two blocks to see someone or buy something instead of walking for 5 minutes. NYC is the skinniest city in America because people there actually know how to walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or