Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 04:49 AM

101 posts, read 326,472 times

Advertisements

American culture seem to be rather shallow to me. All they care about is getting laid. East Asian culture may seem too studious at times, and I'm not fond of that as well.

Quote:
..the girls don't wear too much make up..
Why should girls wear a ton of make up? They just look repulsive and unnatural. Looking natural has always been high on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
...listen to rock music...
Perhaps you should replace that with western music as I've found that the preference for certain music genre seem to be inherent rather than cultivated, so it's irrelevant to the case in point. I love rock music, but most of my favourite have been Asian instead of western despite rock being of western origin. I actually spent a lot of time looking up western rock music, but none of them appeal to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In Asia, the education system is about molding kids to become robotic workers and constant conditioning, memorization, and molding system.
Are you talking about what they're teaching or how they're teaching it? If it's the "how", then I think whether one learns through rote memorization or not depends very much on the individual as well. For example I hear about how American kids loathe Maths all the time, and I infer that it's because they don't actually understand it and thus have to memorize it. I'm Asian born and Maths has always been my (and many others I know) strength because it's the most logical and requires the least amount of memorization. History on the other hand has always been the most hated subject of all time because it requires the most memorization.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:54 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastardised View Post
American culture seem to be rather shallow to me. All they care about is getting laid. East Asian culture may seem too studious at times, and I'm not fond of that as well.
That's a very gross oversimplification and misunderstanding of American culture... I've certainly got my qualms with it, but let's be fair.

Quote:
Why should girls wear a ton of make up? They just look repulsive and unnatural. Looking natural has always been high on my list.
Why are you asking me? I don't like it when women wear too much makeup...

Quote:
Perhaps you should replace that with western music as I've found that the preference for certain music genre seem to be inherent rather than cultivated, so it's irrelevant to the case in point. I love rock music, but most of my favourite have been Asian instead of western despite rock being of western origin. I actually spent a lot of time looking up western rock music, but none of them appeal to me.
There's a massive enough difference between Western rock and Asian rock that the latter is generally specifically noted as being J-rock or K-rock; they're so totally different...

Old 02-15-2014, 12:24 PM

164 posts, read 195,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I personally don't find the nerdy look as prevalent in Vietnamese or Thais, so this is more about Chinese and Koreans. The Chinese in Singapore and Malaysia look nerdy for the most part too. If not nerdy, they look like they don't care how they look (the hair is messy, the girls don't wear too much make up etc etc). Obviously there are lots of Asian-Americans who perpetuate these long-standing stereotypes too, but they are less likely to look nerdy and there is an "Asian-American-look" (as an Asian-American myself, I can tell you there is a certain look).

Maybe for younger crowds. I live in a town that's populated by mostly 1st generation upper middle class Chinese right now (East LA county). And if you don't wear makeup or dress up or show any signs of bling, they WILL look down on you and consider you poor. Outward appearance is everything around here whereas American standard tend to be more relaxed. American style of makeup tend to go for heavier looking look but East Asian prefer more natural look but that does not mean that they do not wear much makeup. In addition, they'll go great lengths to have good skin.

I grew up here and I've been mistaken for FOB quite often because my ABC brother and I prefer to speak our native language to our family (and yes, we're willing to learn). It doesn't help that being in Southern California, you're gonna get quite tanned and if you're tanned and East Asian looking female , things are gonna a little wonky in the 1st generation Asians' heads.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:04 PM

163 posts, read 273,290 times
Can someone expound on "nerdy" look? If "nerdy" = dressing ala Gap, Uniqlo, Banana Republic Style and normal is pants below the butt showing boxers for men and skirts and shorts skimming the lips of the vagina and/or PJ's in public for women then I think being proper and well keppt is nerdy in general.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:47 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times

Cool American.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:13 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
As long as we are making data-less observations... going back to what I posted earlier, Asians in Asia are cooler than Asians in America. I always see photos of trendy, young S. Koreans and Japanese; and even in India, the young dudes blaze down roads on their motorcycles/mopeds, ignoring traffic laws, with their girl sitting behind them. Asians in Asia are in their element. This combined with the fact that Asian immigrants to the US usually push their kids to succeed academically/financially and are outside of their element is why the OP's "thesis" doesn't quite hold up. Cool and nerdy are subjective/relative, and I would say that "Asians" are relatively more "nerdy" in the US.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 02-15-2014 at 09:26 PM..

Old 02-15-2014, 09:24 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
I think American men use too many chemicals on their body. In the gym, I often see guys put all kinds of things on their body, armpits, hair... each part a different bottle.
Really unnecessary.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:45 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In Taiwan, where some of the best little league baseball players are never really gotten anywhere in major league because once the kids get to HS and are forced into this education system where athletics are looked down at.
As it should be. What does an athletics program produce except entertainment? Athletes are nothing more than entertainers. They don't create anything or make the world a better place. They're just paid to play with their balls in front of a bunch of mindless drones.

Sad.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:00 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
As long as we are making data-less observations... going back to what I posted earlier, Asians in Asia are cooler than Asians in America. I always see photos of trendy, young S. Koreans and Japanese; and even in India, the young dudes blaze down roads on their motorcycles/mopeds, ignoring traffic laws, with their girl sitting behind them. Asians in Asia are in their element. This combined with the fact that Asian immigrants to the US usually push their kids to succeed academically/financially and are outside of their element is why the OP's "thesis" doesn't quite hold up. Cool and nerdy are subjective/relative, and I would say that "Asians" are relatively more "nerdy" in the US.
On average, Asian americans are also nerdier than their Australian counterparts. This is based on my personal observation.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:02 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post

Cool American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Why do the Asians in Asia, and even the new Asians in the US (like the international students that roam around the college towns of America's heartland), have a certain look of nerd to them, that is more rare in American(ized) Asians?

I personally don't find the nerdy look as prevalent in Vietnamese or Thais, so this is more about Chinese and Koreans. The Chinese in Singapore and Malaysia look nerdy for the most part too. If not nerdy, they look like they don't care how they look (the hair is messy, the girls don't wear too much make up etc etc). Obviously there are lots of Asian-Americans who perpetuate these long-standing stereotypes too, but they are less likely to look nerdy and there is an "Asian-American-look" (as an Asian-American myself, I can tell you there is a certain look).

Mannerisms are so different too. Americanized Asians don't shuffle their feet or raise their 2 fingers when posing for pictures which is so childish.

what other things do you notice that are different between Asians in Asia (or new Asians in America), compared to Americanized Asians.

Also, do you think the Asians who are born/ raised in other Anglophone countries such as UK, Canada, Australia, NZ will be more or less like the American ones, just by being influenced by the western cultures.
Well, just look at the "cool" American chick in the photo! Ain't she acting asian enough, y'all? Her peace sign tells us (and those from other photos too) this isn't genuinely an asian thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia