U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hong Kong or Taipei for US Tourists?
Hong Kong 13 46.43%
Taipei 15 53.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 02:20 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times

Advertisements

Hong Kong.

it's more international. Taiwan is quite interesting. But Taipei is so much smaller than HK, and doesn't have the wow factor of Hong Kong either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 09:01 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,041,157 times
I vote for HK.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:40 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Hong Kong.

it's more international. Taiwan is quite interesting. But Taipei is so much smaller than HK, and doesn't have the wow factor of Hong Kong either.
Much smaller in what way? Greater Taipei has about 7 million, similar to HK, and covers a larger area. I'd say Taipei offers more day-trips (e.g. Wulai, various mountains, Kenting, Pingxi-Yinggie, Tamsui, even Sun Moon Lake) and the high speed rail can get you all the way to Kaohsiung in 90 minutes. Taiwan is an underrated place with some amazing things to see and experience...Taipei is a modern, bustling metropolis with great food, culture.etc, while the scenery in Taiwan is pretty amazing, from Jade Mountain/Yushan, Snow Mountain, Taroko Gorge.etc. Since you've been to HK already, definitely would vote for Taiwan. Be sure to also experience aboriginal culture in Taiwan.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:27 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Much smaller in what way? Greater Taipei has about 7 million, similar to HK, and covers a larger area. I'd say Taipei offers more day-trips (e.g. Wulai, various mountains, Kenting, Pingxi-Yinggie, Tamsui, even Sun Moon Lake) and the high speed rail can get you all the way to Kaohsiung in 90 minutes. Taiwan is an underrated place with some amazing things to see and experience...Taipei is a modern, bustling metropolis with great food, culture.etc, while the scenery in Taiwan is pretty amazing, from Jade Mountain/Yushan, Snow Mountain, Taroko Gorge.etc. Since you've been to HK already, definitely would vote for Taiwan. Be sure to also experience aboriginal culture in Taiwan.
Didn't realize Taipei has 7 million, it didn't feel like it.

I liked Taiwan, and the island is quite interesting and beautiful. But, so is Hong Kong as well. Both have the ocean and mountains, but yes, Taiwan is a much larger space, so has a bit more in that regards.

Urban city-wise though, it's hard to compete with Hong Kong. Whenever people talk about beautiful harbors or beautiful must-see cities, you always see Hong Kong up on the list somewhere. I can't think of too many lists where Taipei gets ranked up there with the best in the world cities.

I'm not saying Taiwan/Taipei isn't worth seeing, it just seems that Hong Kong is world class status all the way, while Taipei/Taiwan is at a pretty high rung, but not up with the very best of the very best of 'em.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Didn't realize Taipei has 7 million, it didn't feel like it.

I liked Taiwan, and the island is quite interesting and beautiful. But, so is Hong Kong as well. Both have the ocean and mountains, but yes, Taiwan is a much larger space, so has a bit more in that regards.

Urban city-wise though, it's hard to compete with Hong Kong. Whenever people talk about beautiful harbors or beautiful must-see cities, you always see Hong Kong up on the list somewhere. I can't think of too many lists where Taipei gets ranked up there with the best in the world cities.

I'm not saying Taiwan/Taipei isn't worth seeing, it just seems that Hong Kong is world class status all the way, while Taipei/Taiwan is at a pretty high rung, but not up with the very best of the very best of 'em.
Well of course Taipei can't compete with HK for the skyline.etc, but I suppose since the OP has already been to HK if I were them I'd go somewhere new, and Taiwan was great for me.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:52 AM

293 posts, read 932,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
That may be the decider, the fact that we've already been to Hong Kong. Taipei would be an entirely new experience, and some of these day trips seem amazing.

What about overall cost of goods, transportation, and food in Taiwan? In HK it was pretty cheap for everything. I haven't done that much research but hotels in Taipei seem about the same price as HK, and the bullet train to Kaohsiung seems a little more expensive than transportation in HK, although I realize it's going a longer distance.

Our spending budget is about $125 US dollars per day, not including the hotel. That is our budget whenever we travel anywhere. In HK that amount was plenty but when we went to Australia two years ago things were pretty tight. Will that budget be enough for a good experience in Taiwan?

Old 02-18-2014, 06:16 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post
That may be the decider, the fact that we've already been to Hong Kong. Taipei would be an entirely new experience, and some of these day trips seem amazing.

What about overall cost of goods, transportation, and food in Taiwan? In HK it was pretty cheap for everything. I haven't done that much research but hotels in Taipei seem about the same price as HK, and the bullet train to Kaohsiung seems a little more expensive than transportation in HK, although I realize it's going a longer distance.

Our spending budget is about $125 US dollars per day, not including the hotel. That is our budget whenever we travel anywhere. In HK that amount was plenty but when we went to Australia two years ago things were pretty tight. Will that budget be enough for a good experience in Taiwan?
Taiwan is cheaper than HK. Food, transportation and accommodation are all cheaper in Taipei compared to HK. Since HK does not have a sales tax and Guangdong is the world's manufacturing hub, there are some goods that are cheaper in HK. Of course the high speed rail to Kaohsiung is more expensive as the distance is pretty far.

Anyway, I just went to Taipei last week and your budget of US$125 is plenty. The cost of dinner for 3 people in Din Tai Fung at Taipei 101 was about NT$1800 or US$60 which comes out to US$20/person, and that cost is above average for most meals there.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post

2011 Taiwan Tourism Bureau promotional video - YouTube

I haven't seen this video yet but it seems interesting.

I hadn't really thought of visiting Taiwan but then my dad suggested going, so I went with my parents and can honestly say I was really pleasantly surprised and amazed. It seems you hardly hear about Taiwan as a tourist destination but I think that is changing as the world catches on. People are friendlier and more down to earth than HK (maybe Japanese influence), great cheap food, clean and first world but still with authentic culture, and nature to rival anywhere in the region. I think the Japanese were rather jealous than Yushan on their colony of Formosa was higher than their own Mount Fuji. It's easy to see why the Portuguese named it 'Formosa', the beautiful isle.

Considering it feels like a developed country - and well it is, cheap! Food is cheap, you can get rice with your choice of meats, vegetables.etc for as little as $1-2 and it's actually good quality food. These stalls are everywhere. Since a lot of mainlanders fled there after the civil war you can find great cuisine from different regions of China. Beef noodle soup and bamboo rice are just two great Taiwanese specialities. There's also stinky tofu if you're game, and vibrant night markets selling all kinds of things. The MRT is convenient and easy to use (easy to get around if you don't know Mandarin) and people are very civil, kinda like Singapore's MRT or Hong Kong's MTR. Very clean and modern. It's true, hotels in Taipei tend to be pricey, but there are cheap options. Hotels outside Taipei can be very affordable indeed. $125 a day is plenty for Taiwan, considering the price of food, transportation and other activities. Many day trips can be done on hardly any money, often no more than the price of a bus ticket. I would say Taiwan in general is quite a bit cheaper than Hong Kong for most things, while being just as good imho. A lot of the attractions are really not very expensive at all. In fact, if you're frugal travelling in Taiwan is more like travelling in South East Asia than Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore if you ask me, in terms of price.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:04 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:

HK is world class more from an economic/financial center perspective. In terms of tourism, Taiwan beats HK any day. HK can't make the top 10 among all Asian cities.

HK is more popular among westerners largely because English is widely spoken there, and we all know American tourists always expect people to speak English wherever they go (otherwise, they come back and complain).

Old 02-18-2014, 08:15 AM

^ regarding the bullet train. Realise that Taiwan is a big island (relatively speaking), about 35,000 km2 with over 20 million people. It's about 240 miles from north to south or something. It certainly would take a lot of time to do the whole island justice, so you'd want to focus on the places that interest you most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or