U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hong Kong or Taipei for US Tourists?
Hong Kong 13 46.43%
Taipei 15 53.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 12:14 PM

7 posts, read 15,749 times

Advertisements

In terms of what?
If it is the number of tourist visiting, HK as a city, and also Macau is more than Taiwan as a de facto country. HK Airport also has a lot of international passengers and flights, much more than other airports in Asia, except Dubai Airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
HK is world class more from an economic/financial center perspective. In terms of tourism, Taiwan beats HK any day. HK can't make the top 10 among all Asian cities.

HK is more popular among westerners largely because English is widely spoken there, and we all know American tourists always expect people to speak English wherever they go (otherwise, they come back and complain).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 06:29 PM

293 posts, read 932,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Anyway, I just went to Taipei last week and your budget of US$125 is plenty. The cost of dinner for 3 people in Din Tai Fung at Taipei 101 was about NT$1800 or US$60 which comes out to US$20/person, and that cost is above average for most meals there.
Good to know, we have DTF here in Seattle too. We ate there this weekend... so it's good to know that $40 for a couple at a tourist area like Taipei 101 is above average in Taipei.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Considering it feels like a developed country - and well it is, cheap! Food is cheap, you can get rice with your choice of meats, vegetables.etc for as little as $1-2 and it's actually good quality food. These stalls are everywhere. Since a lot of mainlanders fled there after the civil war you can find great cuisine from different regions of China. Beef noodle soup and bamboo rice are just two great Taiwanese specialities. There's also stinky tofu if you're game, and vibrant night markets selling all kinds of things. The MRT is convenient and easy to use (easy to get around if you don't know Mandarin) and people are very civil, kinda like Singapore's MRT or Hong Kong's MTR. Very clean and modern. It's true, hotels in Taipei tend to be pricey, but there are cheap options. Hotels outside Taipei can be very affordable indeed. $125 a day is plenty for Taiwan, considering the price of food, transportation and other activities. Many day trips can be done on hardly any money, often no more than the price of a bus ticket. I would say Taiwan in general is quite a bit cheaper than Hong Kong for most things, while being just as good imho. A lot of the attractions are really not very expensive at all. In fact, if you're frugal travelling in Taiwan is more like travelling in South East Asia than Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore if you ask me, in terms of price.
Good video. It definitely focuses on the Taiwan experience as a whole. I don't think we are quite as adventurous as the backpacker guy though!

I'm glad the attractions and getting around Taiwan are not expensive. We travel a lot and the way we do it is by saving up through the year and sticking to a cash budget.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:15 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post
Good video. It definitely focuses on the Taiwan experience as a whole. I don't think we are quite as adventurous as the backpacker guy though!

I'm glad the attractions and getting around Taiwan are not expensive. We travel a lot and the way we do it is by saving up through the year and sticking to a cash budget.
Yep! Well although it has some wild scenery, Taiwan's infrastructure is such that mountaineering and trekking is quite accessible in general, although there are some areas with few people.

Yes if you're frugal you can do it for very cheap.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:31 AM

22,142 posts, read 23,656,611 times
Taipei seems like a better idea since you've seen Hong Kong already. The metro area is about as populous as Hong Kong, but it's a lot more relaxed. The mass transit system is very extensive, has English language announcements and maps, and uses a RFID card system similar to what Hong Kong has. It also somehow inserted an aerial gondola into its system and that will take you up the mountains where you can do some walking about and going to tea houses.

The National Palace Museum in Taipei is, in my opinion, worth the trip alone. The docents aren't particularly great, but the holdings they have is amazing. The KMT basically absconded with the lion's share of the former imperial art and relics collection when they moved to Taipei and so the collection is fantastic and extensive. I also took a liking to traditional Taiwanese puppet theater while I was there. There's a small museum dedicated to it and there are sometimes shows running. I recommend looking it up and seeing if it's something up your alley.

The night markets can be pretty great, and I do recommend walking around them and trying out odds and ends to eat. Shilin is the biggest one, I think, but that one does seem to have a higher ratio of teens and college kids though it's definitely worth a visit. There's also the Snake Alley night market which is smaller and in an older, more interesting neighborhood, and uh, offers snakes cooked up in different ways to eat. It's slightly sketchier because it "used to" be part of a red-light district, but like the rest of Taipei, harmless. (Former?) Taiwan Beer factory also has great food and drinks in an outdoor or outdoorish setting and sometimes with live music. For some reason I always found myself drinking there while a hilarious Bon Jovi cover band played. There are a lot of themed restaurants to be found if you're interested in photo ops with sometimes good food. There are also random streetside vendors--if you see one that's particularly busy, chances are it's a good idea to line up and try it out. One of the dishes that Taiwan is particularly well known for is beef soup noodles--you can look them up online and see if there are any that particularly strike you. Also keep in mind that the department store food courts and restaurants can sometimes be really good. Sushi/Japanese food in Taipei can often be phenomenal in quality and amazing bargains, though I'd shy away from night market raw fish. Fresh fruit, on the other hand, is delicious, cheap, and varied.

You can also try betel nut which will also be fun to look up. It's a bit like chewing tobacco except more watery so in the end your mouth is full of red liquid which generally one does not swallow and you will end up spitting out (please do it in a cup or something as it leaves a mark on the ground for a long while) what looks like blood. I highly recommend this.

Taipei (and Taiwan in general) has a lot of natural hot springs--the ones for within the city would be in the Beitou district. Some of them can smell quite sulfurous, but that's supposedly good for you. You might want to give it a go though keep in mind that some of them are gender segregated and some of them are fully nude.

If you want a quick trip out that's relatively close to Taipei, try going to Jiufen. It's a coastal hillside town with a lot of old traditional architecture that's become a bit of a touristy visit/getaway for Taipei locals. If you've ever seen the movie Spirited Away, some of the look and feel of the town in that movie was inspired by Jiufen. Or you can also take a short bus ride up to Yangmingsan Mountain Park where you can go hiking a bit if it's not raining.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:58 PM

OP here. I realize this thread is a year old but we chose Taipei. We went this March, 2015.

We had a really great time the 9 days we were there. We stayed in Xinyi and around the city we went to Ximending, Danshui, Longshan Temple, and the Memorial Hall. We rode the Maokong Gondola and hiked Elephant Mountain. We saw the sunset from the top of Taipei 101. We visited Shida Night Market, Shilin Night Market, and Keelung Night Market. We did a day trip to Jiufen Village. We also took the high speed rail to Kaohsiung for a day trip.

We had many pictures to show folks when we returned home. Hopefully we inspire other western tourists to visit Taipei. It's a very underrated city.

Thanks to all of you who responded with your suggestions. You helped plan our trip and itinerary

Old 04-04-2015, 12:47 AM

6,774 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You can also try betel nut which will also be fun to look up. It's a bit like chewing tobacco except more watery so in the end your mouth is full of red liquid which generally one does not swallow and you will end up spitting out (please do it in a cup or something as it leaves a mark on the ground for a long while) what looks like blood. I highly recommend this.
I know I'm bring up old post but I'm really surprised that someone would try betel nut just for fun, it's utterly disgusting imo. I feel disgusted just looking at someone chewing it tbh, thank goodness nobody I know does it, and thank goodness it has become a lot less popular among the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post
OP here. I realize this thread is a year old but we chose Taipei. We went this March, 2015.

We had a really great time the 9 days we were there. We stayed in Xinyi and around the city we went to Ximending, Danshui, Longshan Temple, and the Memorial Hall. We rode the Maokong Gondola and hiked Elephant Mountain. We saw the sunset from the top of Taipei 101. We visited Shida Night Market, Shilin Night Market, and Keelung Night Market. We did a day trip to Jiufen Village. We also took the high speed rail to Kaohsiung for a day trip.

We had many pictures to show folks when we returned home. Hopefully we inspire other western tourists to visit Taipei. It's a very underrated city.

Thanks to all of you who responded with your suggestions. You helped plan our trip and itinerary
And I'm glad you like it!

Old 04-06-2015, 06:36 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,715,191 times
I would have to agree with the OP. Wouldn't pay the retaliatory visa fee either.
I thought Taipei was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or