Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 06:06 PM

7 posts, read 6,602 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm going to spend:

3 full days (3 nights) in Hong Kong
2 full days (2 nights) in Bangkok
1 full day (2 nights) in Singapore

I don't like:
- western-ish-like attractions, shopping and malls

I like:
- surrounding nature, vista points and overlooks around the city
- to be surrounded and in communication more with locals than tourists, understanding the dynamics of the place and its people
- university campuses to get a breath of how student life looks like
- temples, culture -- but preferably those that locals know about, not only the most common tourist destinations
- great food and food markets where locals cook and eat

Any tips for concrete activities?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 06:20 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,320 times
If you like getting off the tourist trail then why are you going to the three most heavily touristed cities in Asia? You can find what you're looking for in all places, but the "western" and "touristy" attractions in these cities are world class and definitely worth seeing. Whereas there are a lot of fake "authentic" attractions in those cities that are a complete waste of time and money.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:04 PM

64 posts, read 74,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinimod View Post

Thanks!

Beside of the Peak, I'd recommend an easy hike on the Dragon Back in Southern Hong Kong Island, beautiful scenery.

Quote:
Hi all,
- to be surrounded and in communication more with locals than tourists, understanding the dynamics of the place and its people
Thanks!
Most urbanite live a rather modern and boring life, however you may visit some fishing village like Tai O in the Lantau Island to explore some remaining primitive communities of Hong Kong. (plus you might be interested in the Buddha)

Quote:
Hi all,

The University of Hong Kong is the oldest college in Hong Kong and hold several century old historical building as part of the campus. It's surrounding neighbourhood of Sai Wan also contains a number of Victorian style architectures from 19th Century that you might be interested in.

Be sure to check out the local calender as summer holiday might begin as soon as late May, so perhaps there would not be much student to see if you visit late.

Quote:
Hi all,

- temples, culture -- but preferably those that locals know about, not only the most common tourist destinations
It's inevitable that large temples become attraction, but I guess you can still find more local than tourist in Wong Tai Sin temple.

Many Walled Villages (or Cheung Chau) in the New Territories have their own religious festival, check if there's any Tai Ping Ching Chiu in those communities during your stay.

Quote:
Hi all,

You can find most in Mong Kok. If you're lucky you might even found food cart selling fried sweet potato, chestnuts and quail's egg.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:41 PM

wowu5 - cool, thanks for those tips, I suppose those are all for Hong Kong?

Old 04-05-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
If you like getting off the tourist trail then why are you going to the three most heavily touristed cities in Asia? You can find what you're looking for in all places, but the "western" and "touristy" attractions in these cities are world class and definitely worth seeing. Whereas there are a lot of fake "authentic" attractions in those cities that are a complete waste of time and money.
Good point, but my final destination are actually forests in Indonesia, those 3 cities are for connecting flights from US that I purposely scheduled to see those cities while I'm already in the area... I like the city life, but also like to see points of interests that might not be immediately obvious.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:20 PM

653 posts, read 743,613 times
You can't really do much in Singapore in one day!

here are some tips:

I like:

I know you don't like western-ish stuff, but if you want to have an "overlook" of the city, go to the skypark on top of Marina Bay sands; it is an eagle's eye view of Singapore; be warned, though, that going up to thr skypark makes your wallet lighter

You can start off by visiting waterloo street at Bugis, and eat at the waterloo hawker centre, don't let the messiness of the place you off; and in the meantime, you can visit Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple and Sri Krishnan Temple, both at Waterloo Street. Please be careful of pickpockets.

Alternatively, you can spend time at heartland areas like Bukit Batok, Clementi and such.

Just take a MRT trip down to National University of Singapore

Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple and Sri Krishnan Temple - both previously mentioned above at Waterloo street

You can also try the Yu Huang Gong temple in Singapore or the Buddha tooth relic temple

the Waterloo hawker center is the best that I can think of, reasonably authentic and local, and not too far away that you would get lost or too expensive

You would be there for 2 nights, right?

For your first night, go down to visit the "Gardens By the Bay" - the supertreee and all; I know you don't like Westernish stuff, but it is worth it. Do this after the sun sets.

the next morning, when you wake up, if you feel adventurous, take the MRT down to Clementi Station, alight at the station, go to Clementi Bus Station (just ask the mrt control station staff for help), take Bus 96, tell the bus driver which stop to alight to go to NUS. You can start at 7.30-45 for this and leave NUS at say, 11 pm, i am giving allowance in case you get lost.

(Don't take a taxi for this; taxi trips during the morning in Singapore will make you bankrupt)

In the event you want to leave NUS early, just take bus 96 back to Clementi Bus interchange; the interchange is directly below a shopping center; since you don't want to go to a shopping center, walk out of it and walk around Clementi central; maybe have some food at the hawker center, which is not air-conditioned.

Then go back to Clementi MRT stattion, take the train down to Bugis MRT station, alight there and make your way to waterloo street and visit the 2 above-mentioned temples. You would need a map for this and please look out for pickpockets. You can do this for around 2 pm to 4 pm, but 3 pm to 6 pm is fine too; you can have a very late lunch or early dinner at the waterloo hawker center there.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:50 PM

tigerbalm1985, this sounds really good, thanks! Yes, I'll be there 2 nights so Gardens By The Bay the first night will definitely work.

On Bus vs. Taxi: 1) do you buy the ticket in the bus? 2) should I need to save time, are taxis really that expensive?

Old 04-06-2015, 03:25 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,838 times
Quote:
tigerbalm1985, this sounds really good, thanks! Yes, I'll be there 2 nights so Gardens By The Bay the first night will definitely work.

On Bus vs. Taxi: 1) do you buy the ticket in the bus? 2) should I need to save time, are taxis really that expensive?
I will just do a simple favour and answer.

1) upon arrival in Singapore , you can go to any mrt station and look for the ticket office and get a transitlink card that will allow you to ride on buses and mrt. Deposit is $3 I think and you add value of about s$20. When you board the bus or mrt you need to tap and when you alight you need to do a 2nd tap and the correct fare will be deducted. There are cards for tourist suitable for single day,3 day visit etc enquire at the ticket office.

2) if you take taxi during the morning peak hrs first of all it will be difficult to get a cab cos many pple are trying to get a taxi to go to work too. Peak hrs is abt 40% more expensive I think cos recently the taxi fare structure changed over here it is pretty confusing . In a nutshell budget abt s$40 for a one way trip from central to say clementi or jurong during peak hrs .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia